Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband and I were talking the other night about home schooling, which is rare, he finally said why he is still somewhat against our girls being home schooled. They will not get a diploma. In his mind he associates a GED with someone who was in jail or quit school(I said HS) and he doesn't want his kids to get a GED he wants them to have a diploma. I understand what he is saying but to me it doesn't really bother me at all but I told him that I would look into online schools or something that offer a dipolma. I figure they could possible to their senior year online or something.

Any suggestions??

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Excellent article Kirbymom.  Thanks for sharing it.

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi blueyedbaker. :) You might want to show your husband what HSLDA is saying....

High School Diploma

A high school diploma is a document that bears record of the completion of a course of study. If you're wondering whether your homeschooled student can receive a diploma, the answer is yes!

As the parent, you've prescribed your child's course of study and you can present a diploma that indicates he has successfully completed it. Some correspondence schools also provide diplomas for completion of their course of study.

If for some reason the college your child wants to attend looks skeptically at homeschool diplomas, the quickest way to demonstrate academic competence is to have your child take several courses at the local community college. By dual enrolling, your child can take classes that help complete her high school course work while earning college credit at the same time (subject to state and individual college policies). Those college credits will allow your child to transfer to the school of her choice. (If you select this route, be sure that your child's destination college will accept the specific college courses she plans to take.)

Frequently Asked Questions
Articles

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM
I know it's crazy thinking, his thinking. He just has the way he sees it and that's it, well they are my kids too and I'm the one home with them and take care of them the most so it was my decision to take them out of PS no matter what he thinks or says. He was not on board with me pulling them out but I did anyway. He sees how well they are doing but it really hasn't made much of an impact on his thinking that HS is better than PS. But really I don't care what he thinks I know it's beeter for my kids and that's that!
Quoting KickButtMama:

Honestly, this response always cracked me up...so, what, he thinks most recruiters or HR personnel are aware and familiar with every single 'actual' school there is? Even those there are plenty of actual school that suck tacks? How does he expect the, to just recognize the name of an actual school when conducting an interview? My kids say they attend CMHS. No one really knows the difference. 

If he wants to get on the accreditation board, then I suggest looking into umbrella school. They are actual, state accredited school - which give out actual, real diplomas. And yet it's strictly for the Homeschooler.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

He thinks that when the girls get older and apply for jobs and such if they say they didn't graduate from an actual school and received a dipolma they won't get the job or something. I told him that they can apply right to a college they don't need that dipolma, it doesn't matter to him he wants the girls to get a dipolma from an actual school. I will look that up and see what it states for NY.
Quoting OFIH:

Why would they need a GED? Homeschoolers can provide legal diplomas for their students and full transcripts needed for college entrance with no GED. Check out the HSLDA website for your state's requirements on creating a diploma and with resources on creating a transcript for college entrance.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

It is important what he thinks. He is your husband and their father. You just need to find all kinds of info and show him that it is best.  :-)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I know it's crazy thinking, his thinking. He just has the way he sees it and that's it, well they are my kids too and I'm the one home with them and take care of them the most so it was my decision to take them out of PS no matter what he thinks or says. He was not on board with me pulling them out but I did anyway. He sees how well they are doing but it really hasn't made much of an impact on his thinking that HS is better than PS. But really I don't care what he thinks I know it's beeter for my kids and that's that!
Quoting KickButtMama:

Honestly, this response always cracked me up...so, what, he thinks most recruiters or HR personnel are aware and familiar with every single 'actual' school there is? Even those there are plenty of actual school that suck tacks? How does he expect the, to just recognize the name of an actual school when conducting an interview? My kids say they attend CMHS. No one really knows the difference. 

If he wants to get on the accreditation board, then I suggest looking into umbrella school. They are actual, state accredited school - which give out actual, real diplomas. And yet it's strictly for the Homeschooler.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

He thinks that when the girls get older and apply for jobs and such if they say they didn't graduate from an actual school and received a dipolma they won't get the job or something. I told him that they can apply right to a college they don't need that dipolma, it doesn't matter to him he wants the girls to get a dipolma from an actual school. I will look that up and see what it states for NY.
Quoting OFIH:

Why would they need a GED? Homeschoolers can provide legal diplomas for their students and full transcripts needed for college entrance with no GED. Check out the HSLDA website for your state's requirements on creating a diploma and with resources on creating a transcript for college entrance.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I told him that he had to read this article on here about how home school kids are better off than PS kids. He said he doesn't need to see any article. So there you go. I am always telling him about different statistic and he could care less. He doesn't agree with HS and that's that. I have to do what's right for our girls because he would rather have left them in PS even though there were bomb threats, my youngest being hit by a boy, my oldest to smart for her grade but the school wouldn't do anything, among other things that he knows isn't right but he thinks that because we all went to PS his kids should too, we all went through stuff they went through so why should they be any different. I think that he really doesn't like the fact that he has to say his kids are home schooled, even though he says that's not the issue I know it bothers him that his kids are home schooled.

Quoting bren_darlene:

It is important what he thinks. He is your husband and their father. You just need to find all kinds of info and show him that it is best.  :-)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I know it's crazy thinking, his thinking. He just has the way he sees it and that's it, well they are my kids too and I'm the one home with them and take care of them the most so it was my decision to take them out of PS no matter what he thinks or says. He was not on board with me pulling them out but I did anyway. He sees how well they are doing but it really hasn't made much of an impact on his thinking that HS is better than PS. But really I don't care what he thinks I know it's better for my kids and that's that!
Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

He thinks that when the girls get older and apply for jobs and such if they say they didn't graduate from an actual school and received a diploma they won't get the job or something. I told him that they can apply right to a college they don't need that diploma, it doesn't matter to him he wants the girls to get a diploma from an actual school. I will look that up and see what it states for NY.
Quoting OFIH:

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I saw this. I saved the site so I can look at it when I have more time. Thanks!!

Quoting romacox:

Excellent article Kirbymom.  Thanks for sharing it.

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi blueyedbaker. :) You might want to show your husband what HSLDA is saying....

High School Diploma

A high school diploma is a document that bears record of the completion of a course of study. If you're wondering whether your homeschooled student can receive a diploma, the answer is yes!

As the parent, you've prescribed your child's course of study and you can present a diploma that indicates he has successfully completed it. Some correspondence schools also provide diplomas for completion of their course of study.

If for some reason the college your child wants to attend looks skeptically at homeschool diplomas, the quickest way to demonstrate academic competence is to have your child take several courses at the local community college. By dual enrolling, your child can take classes that help complete her high school course work while earning college credit at the same time (subject to state and individual college policies). Those college credits will allow your child to transfer to the school of her choice. (If you select this route, be sure that your child's destination college will accept the specific college courses she plans to take.)

Frequently Asked Questions
Articles

OFIH
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
A friend of mine had a husband that was embarrassed that his kids were homeschooled (not sure why, it's like paying for a private education which is supposed to be the crème de la crème of education) and he would simply say, "they attend a small private school" and left it at that. No one ever questioned him. They did, in fact, attend a small (only 4 kids total) private school (that's what a homeschool is considered in their state).
Quoting blueyedbaker:

I told him that he had to read this article on here about how home school kids are better off than PS kids. He said he doesn't need to see any article. So there you go. I am always telling him about different statistic and he could care less. He doesn't agree with HS and that's that. I have to do what's right for our girls because he would rather have left them in PS even though there were bomb threats, my youngest being hit by a boy, my oldest to smart for her grade but the school wouldn't do anything, among other things that he knows isn't right but he thinks that because we all went to PS his kids should too, we all went through stuff they went through so why should they be any different. I think that he really doesn't like the fact that he has to say his kids are home schooled, even though he says that's not the issue I know it bothers him that his kids are home schooled.

Quoting bren_darlene:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I know it's crazy thinking, his thinking. He just has the way he sees it and that's it, well they are my kids too and I'm the one home with them and take care of them the most so it was my decision to take them out of PS no matter what he thinks or says. He was not on board with me pulling them out but I did anyway. He sees how well they are doing but it really hasn't made much of an impact on his thinking that HS is better than PS. But really I don't care what he thinks I know it's better for my kids and that's that!
Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

He thinks that when the girls get older and apply for jobs and such if they say they didn't graduate from an actual school and received a diploma they won't get the job or something. I told him that they can apply right to a college they don't need that diploma, it doesn't matter to him he wants the girls to get a diploma from an actual school. I will look that up and see what it states for NY.
Quoting OFIH:

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
homeschoolx3
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM

One, your husband is so ass backwards in his thinking it's not funny, two employers dont care if you have a diploma, three in many states are considered private schools therefore CAN  give diplomas. Colleges only want your official transcripts, not your diploma.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM

We issue our own diplomas here in Indiana. They are just as valid as any other high school diplomas. No GED is necessary. Along with a transcript and a SAT or ACT, they can get into college with them. It is the transcript that is important.

Several places even sell blank diplomas. Here is one. Here are some guidelines about keeping a transcript. There is more information (some to purchase) on that website. There are books written and workshops held on the subject.

blueyedbaker
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I found a web site that makes the diplomas. Thanks for the information!
Quoting lucsch:

We issue our own diplomas here in Indiana. They are just as valid as any other high school diplomas. No GED is necessary. Along with a transcript and a SAT or ACT, they can get into college with them. It is the transcript that is important.

Several places even sell blank diplomas. Here is one. Here are some guidelines about keeping a transcript. There is more information (some to purchase) on that website. There are books written and workshops held on the subject.

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

not sure if anyone mentioned this

but think of a name for your school, make up cards, letterheads with it and show your dh, so now he can say they go to such and such school!! and i learned its important to listen to what he(your dh) wants also with the schooling thing, hes part of the family, he makes it possible to hs, hes their dad, the way we treat our dhs reflects on how our kids treat him and us! even if they are 'wrong' about something!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)