Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home School Students and Public School Sports......

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 17 Replies

What is YOUR opinion? Is this a good thing or is it unfair to the PS's? 

Legislation opens public school sports to                               homeschool students

Legislation that will require public schools to allow home-schooled students to participate in sports only needs Governor Bill Haslam's signature to become law.

Both the senate and house have passed the bill and it now awaits the Governor's signature.  Parents of home schooled children are cheering the decision, but some schools are concerned the law will mean student athletes will not be playing by the same rules.

TSSAA currently allows individual public school boards to decide whether or not to permit homeschool students to participate in athletics.  Alcoa City Schools is among the districts that does not permit home-schooled students to play ball.

"The school board's decision was that no one outside Alcoa City Schools is allowed to play athletics here," said Josh Stephens, Alcoa High School athletic director.

Stephens said the decision to leave home-school students off the rosters was due to a desire to have everyone follow the same rulebook for grades, conduct, and attendance.

"The hard part about home-schoolers and allowing them to play is the fact that our athletes, if they don't attend school that day they don't play.  So with that home-school student, how are you going to mandate that?  Things also get complicated in terms of grades.  Some home-school kids might have academic requirements that are extremely tough, but others might not.  Our kids, we know if they are getting an F or if they are not carrying themselves the right way," said Stephens.

Home-school student have made plenty of successful sports headlines in East Tennessee.  Tim Tebow made a couple of triumphant visits to Knoxville with the Florida Gators.  An athlete closer to the hearts of UT fans also comes from a home-school environment.  The Lady Vols' Taber Spani was home-schooled in Missouri.

Parents who home-school say their intentions are not to obtain stardom via public school athletics.  Rather, the attraction to sports is another opportunity to educate their children.

"There are so many lessons to be learned for how to deal with people, how to deal with people in a group and team setting," said Rhonda Bradley.

Bradley home-schools her 18-year-old daughter and 15-year-old son.  Bradley's children compete in athletics by playing for an all home-school team called the Knoxville Ambassadors. The Ambassadors recently won the home-school national championship in girls basketball.  The team already plays against private and public high schools.

"We play all of the local private Christian schools.  We usually play 1A and 2A schools, so actually that is the biggest part of our schedule is public school sports," said Bradley.

Bradley says her family would still choose to participate with the Ambassadors if the law changes.  However, she believes home-schooled children should be able to choose to try out for public school sports.

"As home-school parents, we pay taxes to support these [public] schools. I'm all for kids being able to play for their sports teams," said Bradley.

The rules currently say if home-school students want to play sports at public schools, they are only able to play for the public school where their residence is zoned.  This rule is intended to prevent the next Tim Tebow or Taber Spani from starting a recruiting war amongst public schools.

undefined

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Here is the link to the video. I am not sure but it is my impression that this is for all states. If I am incorrect, please let me know. :)

Edited..... 

Opps. I seem to have left out the link. Sorry about that. Here it is.....

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/261864/2/Legislation-opens-public-school-sports-to-homeschool-students

undefined

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Well in PA we've been "allowed(?)" to have our kids participate in PS sports as well as other resources for a while now.  I don't think for one second it is "unfair" to the PS kids.  I am two-sided about this issue though.  On one side, we pay taxes that help fund these activities, the PS officials b!t$h about socialization and this would "help fix that issue," if it's a public "service" then all should be able to do it.  On the other side, with every advantage we take of the system, the state gets their claws in our business a little deeper.  So I believe they would wish to see our grades, then they may ask to see what constitutes our grades to make sure we are "providing a proper education."  It's a slippery slope argument, but I think it is based in facts a bit (past experience.)  So I guess if you don't mind letting the state walk into your classroom (home) and meddle, then yes it should be available, but as for me and mine, I'd rather do the seperate sports and pay for them with my own money.  I just don't like what I'd be laying down with.

OFIH
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have such mixed feelings about it. I guess those come from our main reason why we homeschool. If we don't want our kids in public school for the reasons we don't (safety, moral issues, etc), then, for our family, why would we participate in their sports? Yes, I pay taxes that pays for the schools, but so do elderly couples, childless couples, and so on. So, I see that as well. I pay for this school, partially, so I want to take advantage of the programs. But, for us, we would feel hypocritical given our reasons for homeschooling (primary reasons), so we wouldn't do it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

This is something that my husband and I were just talking about last night. Our reasons for not sending them to the public schools are the same reasons we will not send them to do the public school socializations activities either. They are one and the same for us.   If you don't want governemnt in your biz then don't get into their biz.

kwim?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well in PA we've been "allowed(?)" to have our kids participate in PS sports as well as other resources for a while now.  I don't think for one second it is "unfair" to the PS kids.  I am two-sided about this issue though.  On one side, we pay taxes that help fund these activities, the PS officials b!t$h about socialization and this would "help fix that issue," if it's a public "service" then all should be able to do it.  On the other side, with every advantage we take of the system, the state gets their claws in our business a little deeper.  So I believe they would wish to see our grades, then they may ask to see what constitutes our grades to make sure we are "providing a proper education."  It's a slippery slope argument, but I think it is based in facts a bit (past experience.)  So I guess if you don't mind letting the state walk into your classroom (home) and meddle, then yes it should be available, but as for me and mine, I'd rather do the seperate sports and pay for them with my own money.  I just don't like what I'd be laying down with.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM

We feel that it just doesn't make sense to put our kids in a public activity that we  have so vehemently been against from the very beginning.  For us, the trade off just isn't worth it. 

Quoting OFIH:

I have such mixed feelings about it. I guess those come from our main reason why we homeschool. If we don't want our kids in public school for the reasons we don't (safety, moral issues, etc), then, for our family, why would we participate in their sports? Yes, I pay taxes that pays for the schools, but so do elderly couples, childless couples, and so on. So, I see that as well. I pay for this school, partially, so I want to take advantage of the programs. But,

for us, we would feel hypocritical given our reasons for homeschooling (primary reasons), so we wouldn't do it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I know Exactly what you mean.  I give the absolute minimum information I possibly can in our portfolio and affidavit.  It just isn't the business of the gov't how and what we teach our kids!  If we open that door, they'll walk right in and sit down at our kitchen table.  :/

Quoting kirbymom:

This is something that my husband and I were just talking about last night. Our reasons for not sending them to the public schools are the same reasons we will not send them to do the public school socializations activities either. They are one and the same for us.   If you don't want governemnt in your biz then don't get into their biz.

kwim?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Diatech12
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM
We have about 3 familys that come in to town(they live up in the farm land, their church is up there too) and play sports with our school.
These kids are all amzing athleats and very well educated. All are a grade or two higher than average. One family 6 boys and 1 girl, contributed to the school as "boosters", the dad was an assistant hs football and baseball coach. The boys all played fb and bb/track and the girl did bb softball and track.
I actually think they were a benifit to the rest of us in adding a non "norm".
I really don't see the problem with allowing it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I know!  I wish that it was different though. That this was the benefit that it should be for both sides. Unfortunately, it isn't. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I know Exactly what you mean.  I give the absolute minimum information I possibly can in our portfolio and affidavit.  It just isn't the business of the gov't how and what we teach our kids!  If we open that door, they'll walk right in and sit down at our kitchen table.  :/

Quoting kirbymom:

kwim?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM

The issue is the reasons why parents start homeschooling in the first place. We feel that we can not gripe on the one side and then take out of the other hand. That would be hypocritical on our part. This should be a benefit to both sides of the issue but unfortunately it isn't and won't be anytime soon I imagine. 

Quoting Diatech12:

We have about 3 familys that come in to town(they live up in the farm land, their church is up there too) and play sports with our school.
These kids are all amzing athleats and very well educated. All are a grade or two higher than average. One family 6 boys and 1 girl, contributed to the school as "boosters", the dad was an assistant hs football and baseball coach. The boys all played fb and bb/track and the girl did bb softball and track.
I actually think they were a benifit to the rest of us in adding a non "norm".
I really don't see the problem with allowing it.

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I wish it were an option here because of one activity: marching band. Pretty much any other activity or sport we could find a co-op or somewhere else to participate in that activity, not so with marching band. But who knows, DD and our future kids might not even want to do marching band! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN