Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you need a College Degree to Homeschool?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hi I have been told that when the child is above Elementary school level that you must have a college degree is this true?

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeweldragons
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Haven't heard of this.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM
5 moms liked this

They lie - in some states a HS parent has to have a high school diploma or equivelant; but in most it's not even a requirement. Otherwise, in some states, the child has to be evaluated by a certified teacher (one with a degree in education) but the HS parent is not required to have a college degree.

This is one of those little digs that is usually used as a deterant to keep parents from HS'ing. This is another argument that cracks me up because they are essentially saying - "Wait, you've gone through PS? No, no NO! You are not equiped to teach a child anything!!!" Which is funny because the reason for many of us to choose HS is because of the sub-standard levels of PS education. heheheh. 

So I suggest googling - homeschool laws in _____ and you'll see what is required of you.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Sebastian662
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Thank you.

I just reviewed the Homeschool blogs suggested through this forum. 

My confidence is growing to make my case.

Knowledge is power.

Thanks again.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

They are lieing to you.  Many if not most states has no requirements.  A degree has nothing to do with learning.  I was a high school drop out but have been home educating my children for 20 yrs.

morriganna
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You need to check your state laws for surprise requirements, but as far as I know NO state has a minimum education level required for the parent.  Studies have shown that the parent's education level doesn't affect the child's success, and they can't measure your self taught learning.

ambcortez
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM

No.

katinahat
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I have never heard that.

That said, I do feel much more comfortable homeschooling my daughter than I would if I didn't have my degree.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

OFIH
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

No, you don't. Private schools with hundreds of kids very often don't even have to have college educated teachers on staff. They can hire the person they desire to teach children. Homeschools have different requirements in every state, but I have never heard of any state requiring a college degree for any age level teaching.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
lucsch
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM

No, but you do need to check your state laws. In my state there are no requirements at all.

Koltie6
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Not in Texas !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)