Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you need a College Degree to Homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi I have been told that when the child is above Elementary school level that you must have a college degree is this true?

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Replies (11-15):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM

That's awesome, knowledge really is power. Self doubt is normal, and i believe it can help us be better teachers. Just think of it like this - 

When we experience such doubts, we do more research, try different techniques, ask for assistance, etc. Whereas most PS teachers have all the confidence in the world, rarely experience doubt, and more often than not fall into a pattern of repetition (just think of how many teachers teach the same for decades). Maybe if they experienced some self doubt they'd improve too?

Quoting Sebastian662:

Thank you.

I just reviewed the Homeschool blogs suggested through this forum. 

My confidence is growing to make my case.

Knowledge is power.

Thanks again.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

No No No No No No No No No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I have no college degree and I have a couple of kids that are in high school. As well as some other moms on here. :)  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Nope. I believe a state (maybe Washington?) requires that, but not in most states.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

myownparadise
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Here in Georgia, parents or the person a parent selects to do the homeschooling must have a HS diploma or GED. It is written into the law that way. You should just check into the state in which you reside.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Goodness No!  I dropped out of college to start a family.  Many people are not fully educated on homeschooling.  I've had people tell me I need to be "certified" (whatever that means!).  One of the most importants tools to have is full knowledge of your state laws.  Most states have very reasonable laws.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)