Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok, so I know one of the #1 questions we get is "Where do I start?" and the #1 response? With the laws in your state. Each state has their own rules and requirements. So I thought I'd just start a post where I'll add in an overview of the HS laws in each state. 

Please remember, homeschool laws are subject to change. Use this post as a spring board, not legal advice. The laws in your state may have changed since I posted it.

Happy Learning!
Shannon 

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Edited by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Replies (61-70):
robinarredondo
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Do you have any info. Re: state of Texas?

thank you

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Here you go! CLICK ME I"M A LINK

Quoting robinarredondo:

Do you have any info. Re: state of Texas?

thank you

1Redapple
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for all you put into this post.  I can testify, being in Caliufornia that their requirements look stringent, but they are not.  All I had to do to HS my DD was send the afidadavit and I talked to a nice woman in Sacramento who was very helpful. So don't be worried that you can't in CA.

amnicu02
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
For Texas go to www.thsc.org/freedom for more clarity of our laws.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MOMOFLOTS12
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM

A GREAT SITE FOR ALL THE LAWS IS  HSLDA.COM

Momto8kidsyay
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Go to hslda.org for a good overview of the laws.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi I was just about to make a post about checking the laws in the state periodically. I just found out at www.hslda.org that you don't have to teach the history of Rhode Island, or the Constitution anymore, just Civics. It just came out for 2012-2013 school year.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Rhode Island - 

RI Guild of Home Teachers

Rhode Island

• Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between 6 (on or before September 1 of any school year and 16 (§ 16-19-1(a)). A child age 16 or older who is "enrolled in school" must have written parental permission to stop schooling before age 18. (§ 16-19-1(b))

• Required Days of Instruction: "substantially equal to that required by law in public schools." (§ 16-19-2)

• Required Subjects: Reading, writing, geography, arithmetic, United States and Rhode Island history, principles of American government, English (§ 16-19-2), health and physical education. (§ 16-22-4). Also, beginning with fourth grade, history and government of Rhode Island must be taught. In high school the U.S. Constitution and Rhode Island Constitution must be taught.

• Teacher Qualifications: None.

• Standardized Tests: Not required by statute. The Commissioner of Education has ruled that local school districts have the authority to require some type of evaluation under their "approval" authority as long as they "accommodate the preferences of parents for certain mechanisms for measurement." 
   If the parents choose standardized testing, the Commissioner ruled that religious home schoolers, under the first Amendment, have the right to choose their standardized test and the testing site. 
   The Commissioner held: "we cannot discern the presence of any administrative burdens placed on the School Committee by accommodation of the parents' choice of standardized test. Thus, we do not find the School Committee's test choice (or its requirement that children be tested in the public school) to be the "least restrictive alternative."

1. A child may receive a "course of at-home instruction approved by school committee of the town wherein the child resides" if the following requirements are met: 
       a. the period of attendance is "substantially equal" to that of the public schools, 
       b. an attendance register is kept, and 
       c. the teaching in the required subjects listed above is "thorough and efficient." (§ 16-19-2)
   2. If the local school committee denies parents the right to home school, the parents may appeal to the Department of Education & have a right to a hearing. (§ 16-19-2) 
   3. Commissioner ruled that it is a "Constitutional right" to educate one's children.

Reference: Click Here 

Rhode Island State High School Graduation Requirements
  • English units:  4
  • Math units:  4
  • Social studies units:  3.  Must include instruction on Rhode Island and U.S. Constitutions and government.
  • Science units:  3
  • P.E./Health units:  Students must receive the equivalent of 1 unit health instruction over the course of 4 years and must receive p.e. instruction equivalent to .5 credit per year, or an average of 20 minutes each school day.
  • Arts:  ."The additional six required academic credits are presumed to include, but not be limited to, credits in world languages, the arts, and technology pursuant to local educational agency policies and sufficient to allow students to demonstrate the range of proficiency required by section 3.0 of these regulations."
  • Foreign language:The additional six required academic credits are presumed to include, but not be limited to, credits in world languages, the arts, and technology pursuant to local educational agency policies and sufficient to allow students to demonstrate the range of proficiency required by section 3.0 of these regulations." .
  • Electives units:  6
  • Other units:  .5 (.5 unit computer literacy). District may petition commissioner of education to include community service learning program as component of graduation requirements.

TOTAL # units:  20    

Technical notes and citations    In addition to completing Carnegie unit requirements, students must demonstrate proficiency to graduate from high school. Proficiency may be demonstrated through exhibitions such as senior projects, capstone projects, or certificates of initial mastery; portfolios; proficiency-based departmental end-of-course exams; common tasks; and industry skill certifications. 

R.I. CODE R. 08 050 001; R.I. GEN. LAWS § 16-22-2, 16-22-4, 16-22-21; "Regulations of the Board of Regents for Elementary and Secondary Education Regarding Public High Schools and Ensuring Literacy for Students Entering High School," January 9, 2003, The Rhode Island High School Diploma System 

tiabear13
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this info. We didn't know where to start, and your info is so helpful!

Michelle0609
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Anyone got Nebraska Laws?

Michelle0609
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I have the forms to fill out and am using rule 13 thank you so much for doing al lof this work very appreciated

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN