Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok, so I know one of the #1 questions we get is "Where do I start?" and the #1 response? With the laws in your state. Each state has their own rules and requirements. So I thought I'd just start a post where I'll add in an overview of the HS laws in each state. 

Please remember, homeschool laws are subject to change. Use this post as a spring board, not legal advice. The laws in your state may have changed since I posted it.

Happy Learning!
Shannon 

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Replies (71-80):
KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

WOW!

Did you do your research or what this is really wonderful work thank you so much for taking the time and oh boy was it a lot of it, to do all of this you deserve praise.

Quoting KickButtMama:

New York -

NY Home Educator Network

New York

• Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between 6 (on or before the first of December in any school year) and 16 (the last day of session in the school year in which the minor becomes sixteen years of age) or completion of high school. (Effective July 1, 2005, the local board of education can raise the compulsory attendance age in their school district from 16 to 17 if the minor is not employed.) (§ 3205)

• Required Days of Instruction: Substantial equivalent of 180 days. 900 hours per year for grades 1-6; 990 hours per year for grades 7-12.

• Required Subjects: (§§ 801, 804, 806, 808, 3204)
   Grades K-12: Patriotism and citizenship, about substance abuse, traffic safety, fire safety; 

Grades 1 through 6: Arithmetic, reading, spelling, writing, English, geography, United States history, science, health, music, visual arts, and physical education; 

Grades 7 and 8: English, history and geography, science, mathematics, physical education, health, art, music, practical arts, and library skills; (at least once in first 8 grades): United States and New York history and constitutions; 

Grades 9 through 12: English, social studies-including American history, participation in government, and economics-math, science, art or music, health, physical education, and electives. N.Y. Educ. Law

• Teacher Qualifications: Instruction need only be given by a competent teacher.
   (§ 3204) The parent does not need to be certified. A parent is deemed "competent" if the regulations below are followed.

• Standardized Tests: The parent can choose one of five approved standardized tests, at    a place of the parents' choosing.

• A child "may attend a public school or elsewhere." (§ 3204(2)). Instruction given to a minor "elsewhere" must be "at least substantially equivalent to the instruction given to minors of like age or attainments at the public schools." Using this statute as its authority, the state board of education, in 1988, enacted home school regulations. 
   These home school regulations require parents to do the following: 
   a. submit a notice of intent to home school to the district superintendent by July 1 (the beginning of the school year) annually, or within fourteen days of starting home schooling during the middle of a school year. 
   b. subsequently, fill out an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) form according to deadlines specified in the regulations, containing 
       (1) the child's name, age, and grade level; 
       (2) a list of the syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or a plan of instruction; 
       (3) dates for submission of quarterly reports; and 
       (4) name of the persons giving instruction. 
   c. maintain records of attendance (180 days). 
   d. file quarterly reports giving 
       (1) the number of hours of instruction during quarter, 
       (2) description of material covered in each subject, and 
       (3) a grade or narrative evaluation in each subject (the superintendent has no authority to judge the adequacy of these reports); and 
   e. file an annual assessment including 
       (1) achievement test results, or 
       (2) alternative evaluation by any of the following: 
            (a) a certified teacher, 
            (b) a home instruction peer review panel, 
            (c) or other person. For grades one through three, the alternative evaluation may be used. In grades four through eight, the alternative evaluation may be  used every other year. Beginning with ninth grade, standardized testing must be done every year. The child's composite score must be above the 33rd  percentile.

Reference: Click Here

New York State High School Graduation Requirements:
  • English units:  4
  • Math units:  3
  • Social studies units:  4.  1 unit American history, .5 unit each in "participation in government" and "economics or their equivalent."
  • Science units:  3 (incl. min. 1 unit lab).  3 units of "commencement level science," including 1 unit life sciences, 1 unit physical sciences and 1 unit either life sciences or physical sciences.
  • P.E./Health units:  2.5.  2 units p.e. and .5 unit health education.
  • Arts:  1
  • Foreign language:  1
  • Electives units:  0
  • Other units:  0
TOTAL # units:  22.  18.5 state-determined units and 3.5 district-determined units.

Other diploma options:  State offers honors/college prep and technical curriculum options and proficiency-based credit option. 

dardwyer7
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM

What happens in Minnesota if the superintendant does not agree to the testing location? Would the super intedant just order you to come into the local school or government building and do a test there?

Peaches808
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM

This is so much help thanks 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I called our cover school today to ask about what age to enroll my little one and she said 7. I called because I was confused after reading that it was 7 on one site & 6 on another. We live in Alabama. I guess if any one of any importance asks I will just give them her phone number.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Thank you!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM

This is one of the major problems with doing research online....laws often change. And in some cases, the law varies from county to county. My recommendation is to go the Board of Ed website and read the laws they have posted. It should be the most accurate and up to date. 

Quoting twyliatepeka:

I called our cover school today to ask about what age to enroll my little one and she said 7. I called because I was confused after reading that it was 7 on one site & 6 on another. We live in Alabama. I guess if any one of any importance asks I will just give them her phone number.

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Thank you. I will try to find it. I really really really hope it is still 7 because I can't afford to get Kay's diploma & stuff & then have to pay (now they will a late fee) to enroll Grace too.
Quoting KickButtMama:

This is one of the major problems with doing research online....laws often change. And in some cases, the law varies from county to county. My recommendation is to go the Board of Ed website and read the laws they have posted. It should be the most accurate and up to date. 

Quoting twyliatepeka:

imuney
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

This is an amazing resource. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

imuney
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Whats a cover school?

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM
We have to go thru a cover/umbrella to homeschool in Alabama. It is just sort of a buffer between you & the state. We have to pay an enrollment fee for the cover/umbrella school like it was a church or private school, they issue diplomas & transcripts & whatnot.
Quoting imuney:

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Whats a cover school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)