Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Standardized testing (esp. in GA but not necessarily)

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM
  • 11 Replies

This is our first year homeschooling and we have to take a standardized test. We are in Georgia. 

The problem is, all the ITBS sites I've seen require the person giving the test to have a bachelors. DH and I don't have one. We have some friends that do as well as a couple of family members, but they all have jobs and lives/kids of their own... no time for a 5 hour standardized test.

Is there a "nationally recognized" test that doesn't require a bachelors?

Are there "testing sites" in GA? I haven't had any luck finding any.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM
You could try your local school and sign up with them. Are you apart of a Homeschool group? If so they may have someone who can administer the test.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:05 AM

The Georgia State Home School Association has a list of test suppliers on their website

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I know several teachers who offer to oversee standardized tests for a fee. I'm not in GA, but you could see about a teacher who might be willing. 

I found a list of testing sites by googling Standardized Testing Sites in GA.

 Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM

We are in Ga and we will do ours with the homeschool co-op.  CHART.  It is based in Thomasville, Ga. If you are close. Good luck!

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM
I am in Texas, we aren't required to test but some parents chose to test & they buy the test strait from the Texas Education Department & administer them their selves.
I read the testing requirements you have to do & if I where you I would find a test that you meet the administration requirements for & use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I saw on the news that teachers were boosting scores in the public schools by erasing answers and remarking them. There is a big cheating scandal in Georgia over this. I wonder if this will make them crack down on the testing procedures even more.

I'm thankful we do not have to test in Indiana.

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I believe you can have the guidance councellor of your neighborhood public school be a proctor.  Your child will have to take the test on school property, though.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Go to This is a very helpful site for Georgia homeschoolers. There is a test called CAT, California Achievement Test that parents can administer and return which does not require you to have a drgree. Hope this helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Are you certain that you need to test this year? Yearly testing is not required in GA. The law is every 3 years starting in 3rd grade. You can order the CAT5 or the Teranova through Thurber's :    if your child is 8th grade or below, you can order the PASS from Hewitt:

Many homeschool groups in GA use someone certified to test through BJU. You can use the tester locator to find someone in your area:

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM
A place in Alpharetta called LEO (Lifelong Educational Opportunity) offers the test in May. I don't remember if you can still sign up. It's $50 & lasts 3 days at 2hrs/day. My understanding is that the person has to be certified to give the test. I think a place called LEAD (don't know what it stands for) may offer it too. You can google both places along with the word homeschool & it should come up. Hope that helps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)