Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New England homeschoolers

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 9 Replies
Okay so we are in CT now. We may have to move out of state, my question is which states around new england are free homeschool states? Like here in CT we are 100% free, don't need to show the state anything, free to choose curriculum, etc.
I thank you for your help.
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM
I'm in Ohio but here is a bump!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

The following article should answer your question:   Which States Have The Best Homeschooling Laws

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Sadly, many of the New England states around CT are not as HS easy - Mass & NY are some of the more strict in the country. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

In NH as far as I can tell (we haven't started hsing yet, but have been looking into it) it's pretty lax and you can choose your own curriculum, you just have to have an eval every year, it can either be done as like a test, or a portfolio.  For the portfolio, you just have to show work examples from the beginning of the year and the end of the year showing progress. 

It seems pretty easy here from what I have read so far anyway.

mommytobooger
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Thank you!
Mommynay2
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Hi I live in Rhode Island and it wasn't that hard for me. I wrote a letter on intent, met with the superintendent with the course listing. She said about coming to my house and seeing how things are set up that never happened. Agreed to keep attendance, nobody even asked for a copy of it. This lady came over twice to give Destinay an assessment. That was pretty much it. Over here it is based on the school district. I live in Central Falls, I know in Providence they would rather people homeschool, they don't bother you at all. Just for reference sake you should check out www.hslda.org for the different laws so you can compare.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lifesadream83
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Check out hslda they have the laws for each state

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Bump!

amyand4
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I live in NH and it is pretty easy.  We can choose our own curriculum and not tell them.  At the end of the years we either have to pass in a portfolio or due a standardized test and show the child has improved some, but even if that child hadn't improved you have a certain period of time to improve.  I know people who passed in their portfolio and the state doesn't really even look at it. NH is nice let me know if you move here :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)