Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do You Make Your Kids Clean Up Their Toys?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 26 Replies

Reasons Why Making Kids Clean Up Their Toys Is a Useless Parenting Rule

by Ms. Jillian 51 minutes ago

messy roomI think my mom (and dad) should not make me clean up my toys. I also think other parents should not make their kids clean up their toys. And I will tell you why.

1. I will play with them later.

2. It is too much work for a kid.

3. I like to leave out my toys so I can look at them.

4. I leave them out so I can sort through them.

5. I leave them out so I know how many toys I have.

6. I think cleaning is horrible (I mean not fun).

7. I don't WANT to clean them up.

8. I would be watching TV before I play with them because I like watching TV. I want to watch TV instead of cleaning up my toys.

That's why I think parents should not make their kids clean up their toys. Parents, would you guys clean up your stuff if you had stuff lying around on the floor? Is it fun?

Yes or no?

Kids, ask your parents if they would make you clean up your toys. Thank you.

The moms at The Stir desperately needed a day off so we decided to let our kids help us write The Stir today -- find out more about them in their blogger profiles and see what they are writing about at Kids Takeover. Happy April Fools! :)

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Yes my children clean up after themselves.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DesireMM
by Desire' on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My children have to clean up after themselves. And I make sure that they clean up their own mess instead of trying to pass it off on their sibling.

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yes.

OakesMama
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Yes it is the one room that stays immaculatly clean, I'm afraid if I need to grab them and get out in the middle of the night or if a fire started it would be harder to get them if their room was not clean.

FIREFOX1336
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I clean everything at night, so it's fair that the kids pick up their toys before bed. They pick up the toys, get ready for bed, I tuck them in and do our little routine. Then I come down and wipe everything in the kitchen, do dishes, mop and vacuum. Then I get ready for bed.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM
4 moms liked this

There are days that I don't want to make food.  Meal planning is not fun, cooking and especially cleaning up afterwards is not fun.  However my kids would not like it if I took the day off and didn't cook anything.  They would be hungry, cranky, and maybe even sick by the end of the day.  When kids don't put their toys away, people can step on them and get hurt, they could trip down the stairs and get VERY hurt, the cats or dogs could claim them as their toys and chew them up, the baby could put them in his mouth and choke on them.  Just because you don't want to put your toys away doesn't mean that the toys shouldn't be put away.  As for "too much work," if it wasn't too much work for you to get them out, it's not too much work to put them away.  My kids have tried some of these excuses.  In our house the toy fairy comes at night and gathers up toys that are not properly put away (unloved) and the kids don't have those toys for a solid week.

oredeb
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM

yep, they learn to clean up their own messes and to help others that need it,

that includes any messes they make in the kitchen or anywhere!! even in their rooms.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM
If you do not clean up you will break your things. I clean up after my selves and my kids have to clean up after themselves
OFIH
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

You bet they do. We have an iPad app for our chores. It has taken almost all the griping out of our chore time. The boys can see everything that's expected of them, pick what order to do them, and then can check it off once they do a job. It also has their "rewards" listed that they can save up for each week/month. They are all simple things (stay up 15 minutes late, watch a movie of their choice on DVD, stay up 1 hour late, get their $2 allowance). Each of those things requires more and more checks. If they use 11 of them to stay up 15 minutes late, they won't have enough to trade in for an allowance at the end of the week. So they have to decide what they really want and what's worth spending their points on.

They learn responsibility and they are also learning that, as adults, we trade our time for other things that we need. We are using thier allowance to teach them about tithing and budgeting. Chores are a very good thing for children to do. It teaches them so many things in life.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL!   That child presented herself really well, though!   I give her an A for effort.   She can have a sticker before she goes and cleans up her toys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)