Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Handwriting Tips

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 5 Replies

Does anyone have tips or tricks to help improve pencil grip and handwriting skills?  My first grader who is in PS currently has HORRIBLE handwriting, seriously his 4 year olds sisters handwriting is better than his( but her grip needs work). They will both be home-schooled this upcoming school year so any tips that will help make handwriting less of a struggle would be great. 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
URHonor
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Amazing Handwriting. You can print personalized worksheets. Don't sign up or give your email. Just make them as you need them.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Using some large traingle shaped pencils helped Ds with grip.  Pkolino is the brand I used and they are awesome!

oredeb
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

what about this?

http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/shannon/2007/07/works-for-me-te.html

Works For Me: Teaching a Child To Hold a Pencil

I cannot take an ounce of credit for today's little tip--my son's preschool teacher taught it to me years ago. It's such a good one, I couldn't keep it to myself.

You probably know how hard it can be to communicate to a child exactly how a pencil should sit properly in his or her little hands. My son's teacher told me to do it this way:

1. Take a Kleenex and tear it two pieces (a full Kleenex is too large, so just use the half piece for this trick.)

2. Have the child pinch the Kleenex piece in his/her pinky and ring finger, like this:

Hands2

3. While the child is still pinching the Kleenex in those two fingers, tell him to hold the pencil in the remaining three fingers.

Hands3_copy

4. Remarkably, as long as the Kleenex is still "occupying" their 4th and 5th fingers, the child will naturally hold the pencil the right way.

Hands4

Really! It works!

oredeb
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

i have my kids use these kind of sheets before we start on the letters, http://www.shirleys-preschool-activities.com/free-printable-preschool-worksheets.html#alphabet    also we do air writing, i have them use a hammer and nails(good for cordination), we use our fingers with paint, paint brushes, writing in sand with finger, going over the letters with fingers, i have them try to picture it in their minds how to form the letter

i have them learn to cut lines on paper, circles, etc, crafts

OFIH
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

A friend of mine, she's on here as well, told me about the claw pencil grip. WOW! I didn't think something so small could work so well, but it is awesome. It immediately improved our 7 year old's pencil grip issues when he uses it. I noticed his pencil grip, during non school hours when he asks not to use it, has improved after using it so much.

The Claw - this is the Amazon link to the Claw pencil grip. There are many places to buy it, even more on Amazon, but this will show you what I am talking about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN