Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I rarely go to the mall. But the boys and i were near one today, so we wakled through. We came upon a pet store and we immediately fell in LOVE. It's a Shi-poo, and it's supposed to be hypoallergenic - which is important since my eldest is highly allergic to dogs. So we're thinking it over...but she's sooooo cute!!

(sorry it's sideways, couldn't figure out how to adjust it)

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Replies (21-25):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Adorable!!  We always had Bichon Frises growing up because my dad is allergic but he loved dogs.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Yes that similar to what I've been going through. It's been a long process - this round has been going on 8 months. The only upside is that first check is retroactive from the time of filing. So I'll potentially get 8 months worth of SSI in one lump sum. Which is the only way we could afford the fluff ball...lol..but I just saw the state's physician on Momday - which was supposed to be my last step before approval....fingers crossed.... And good luck to your DH as well!!

Quoting No_Difference:

Depending on the day, I've also heard spaniel, terrier, Westie, Maltese, and Bichon lol.

I do all of Jack's grooming. He had broken his paw when he was younger, and it didn't matter to the groomers that it was still sensitive after the cast came off, and he had the worst experience ever with them. I made them stop, and took him home half trimmed. Ever since then, I've done it myself.  He's still a little touchy with that paw now, and if I'm not careful, he'll nip at me, otherwise he's very good about people pulling on him, brushing him, or anything else lol.

I hope you guys can get the dog :).  We're waiting on the VA to determine how much disabillity my hubby will be eligible for...it's a pain of a process! If he is considered 100% disabled, he qualifies for social security, and then we have to bascially go through the whole process all over again. I wish you luck with them!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Aww, it looks a little like a shitzu? (Sp?) we live in an 850 sq foot apartment while we save $$, so we need a super tiny dog. And I've ALWAYS wanted a tea cup sized. So, this one was exactly right lol.  Hopefully social security will make their final determination soon! (I've been waiting forever for my disability)

do you cut Jack's hair yourself?

Quoting No_Difference:

Jack isn't terribly large and doesn't require tons of exercise, and is a great "travel dog" (ranked 3rd on Pets 101 special "travel friendly" episode), so works well in small living spaces too :). Another reason we love him so much lol. I could never do a big dog, especially with how much we travel, and we never know if we're going to be renting or owning, or living on base housing... I just can't do anything too small personally... I am very accident prone, and Jack already trips me quite often...anything smaller and the poor thing wouldn't survive my big feet lol.

Here he is shaved: 

and fluffy:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Never even heard of that breed before! We are apartment dwellers, so the smaller dogs work better...even though my DH only wants Labs (which have the highest allergy rate! Ugh!!)

Quoting No_Difference:

We love our doggie, Jack. He's a Coton de Tulear, and has "hair" instead of "fur" so he's considered hypo allergenic too, and "sheds" about as much as human hair falls out. Hubby is severely allergic to all animals, and is fine with Jack :).  He's a bit bigger than a shi-tzu size, he's more cocker spaniel size...at least mine is...but I was told he might be a giant for his breed... He's also really mello, laid back, and a great family dog. Down side...he is massively high maintenance on grooming if you want to keep the hair long :/.
That dog is super cute too :)

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I'm wishing you the best of luck on your disability payments!!!  I know you deserve it and have been waiting a long time.  Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you!!  :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Yes that similar to what I've been going through. It's been a long process - this round has been going on 8 months. The only upside is that first check is retroactive from the time of filing. So I'll potentially get 8 months worth of SSI in one lump sum. Which is the only way we could afford the fluff ball...lol..but I just saw the state's physician on Momday - which was supposed to be my last step before approval....fingers crossed.... And good luck to your DH as well!!

Quoting No_Difference:

Depending on the day, I've also heard spaniel, terrier, Westie, Maltese, and Bichon lol.

I do all of Jack's grooming. He had broken his paw when he was younger, and it didn't matter to the groomers that it was still sensitive after the cast came off, and he had the worst experience ever with them. I made them stop, and took him home half trimmed. Ever since then, I've done it myself.  He's still a little touchy with that paw now, and if I'm not careful, he'll nip at me, otherwise he's very good about people pulling on him, brushing him, or anything else lol.

I hope you guys can get the dog :).  We're waiting on the VA to determine how much disabillity my hubby will be eligible for...it's a pain of a process! If he is considered 100% disabled, he qualifies for social security, and then we have to bascially go through the whole process all over again. I wish you luck with them!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Aww, it looks a little like a shitzu? (Sp?) we live in an 850 sq foot apartment while we save $$, so we need a super tiny dog. And I've ALWAYS wanted a tea cup sized. So, this one was exactly right lol.  Hopefully social security will make their final determination soon! (I've been waiting forever for my disability)

do you cut Jack's hair yourself?

Quoting No_Difference:

Jack isn't terribly large and doesn't require tons of exercise, and is a great "travel dog" (ranked 3rd on Pets 101 special "travel friendly" episode), so works well in small living spaces too :). Another reason we love him so much lol. I could never do a big dog, especially with how much we travel, and we never know if we're going to be renting or owning, or living on base housing... I just can't do anything too small personally... I am very accident prone, and Jack already trips me quite often...anything smaller and the poor thing wouldn't survive my big feet lol.

Here he is shaved: 

and fluffy:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Never even heard of that breed before! We are apartment dwellers, so the smaller dogs work better...even though my DH only wants Labs (which have the highest allergy rate! Ugh!!)

Quoting No_Difference:

We love our doggie, Jack. He's a Coton de Tulear, and has "hair" instead of "fur" so he's considered hypo allergenic too, and "sheds" about as much as human hair falls out. Hubby is severely allergic to all animals, and is fine with Jack :).  He's a bit bigger than a shi-tzu size, he's more cocker spaniel size...at least mine is...but I was told he might be a giant for his breed... He's also really mello, laid back, and a great family dog. Down side...he is massively high maintenance on grooming if you want to keep the hair long :/.
That dog is super cute too :)

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

She is cute.

katiebeth1821
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM

how cute

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)