Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Please Advice!?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello everyone! I am desperate for advice in the HS department!! I have a daughter in public kindergarten but am not planning on keeping her in Public school next year. I also have another 5 year old, 4 year old, and 1 year old that I have been staying home with. We live in a small town so I joined a Christian Homeschool Association in a larger town nearby for my younger kiddos. Not sure how beneficial it has been or will be?! Also, I really need advice from seasoned HS Mommies and New HS Moms! Curriculum -affordable, but good? Also, homeschooling multiple siblings at once- advice? I have been into a few Stores that carry curriculum and it makes my head spin...I start to feel nervous and unable to provide all the materials they will need! There are just so many! Can anyone tell me the basics...what to spend money on and what not to?..Thank You for reading! Any advice is greatly appreciated! Oh, and we are in Texas!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
klatshaw
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM
2 moms liked this

This is my first year homeschooling(we are 165 days into our required 180). So far the only money I have spent has been on printer ink and paper. And because your kids are so young I wouldn't worry about any curriculums. There are so many things you can do with them that doesn't cost anything but your time, patience, and love. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my, they are so close in age and so young...

Personally?   I'd get a decent phonics program that you feel comfortable teaching... a good handwriting program (one I like is Handwriting without Tears)... and a fun math program. 

Some people talk about the Life of Fred.  It's very story based and teaches math in an unusual way.   I'm not sure it would be for my kids, as my two oldest are VERY mathmatical.. but a friend of mine uses it for her 8 & 6 yr old.   They are learning a lot from it, she says.   

I'm actually looking to switch to Math U See.  I hear a lot of good things about it.   Especially for my eldest.  She is a math whiz, but she hates actually DOING the mathwork over and over again.   She likes to move on once mastered, but she never fully masters it because she is very sloppy with her work... argh.. I'm hoping math u see will help.

My favorite science is apologia once they are a elementary, and that is something that I'd start teaching (if I were you) when my current 4 yr old is writing well enough to fill in simple answers.

I also love My Father's World... it's fun, and we enjoyed the first year of the cycle.   I plan on doing the Adventures level with the younger two when they get there.

Personally, Math and English are the only two that really have to be "grade level"... everything else you can teach the younger two a long with the older two, just adjust your expectations.

When your wee one gets up there, you will have more experience and will find it easier to graft him in while still giving him what he needs.

Biggest advice... don't rush it.. take it in tiny bites... and enjoy what you do because when you get excited and have fun with stuff, so do they!!!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Here are the homeschool laws for Texas. 

There are great websites that have full free curriculum. Here are a few

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/Default.aspx

http://www.lessonpathways.com/

You can also piece together & make your own. For all your children being so young I would focus on play based learning, keep everything fun (if it is boring kids loss interest & then don't care).

I am in Texas too if you have any questions or need help just ask!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We went around the for color shape size patterens with one is big with one is small reading going to the library. Find on color for the week letter for the week shape for the week and number of the week. At the library check leapfrog movies. Read a book a day. We went for a walk numbers shapes sizes patterens as we walk out side animals you see. Oh yeah letter numbers.my youngest learned how to count in walmart counting the alises. He learned his with paint. Oh yeah cars that drove down the street and he had a lot of favorite colors. I do school with four children as well my four year olds (two) then 13 and a 11 year old.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM
2 moms liked this

My number 1 advice? Don't worry about curriculum until 2nd grade. Until then, focus on exploring and playing and making learning an adventure! I also set up my older kid with programs like www.readingeggs.com, time4learning.com, etc so they had a bit more focused learning. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Also check out www.letteroftheweek.com it's free and great for the toddler through 1st grade

emad84
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Wow! Such Great Advice from everyone!- it is very appreciated! Thank You!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Are you planning on teaching all three of the older kids? You might want to use the summer to come up with busy boxes to keep them occupied while you do one on one.
oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

hi ema!  well what i would do and did is just teach them alll together, use what you can find online, in library, what you have at home ,

What to teach a child that’s ready ! first grade, age 6 or 7 or?!

Math- use manipulative with whatever curr you choose, I used rod and staff workbooks till 3rd grade then we used saxon the rest of the way, math can be done on a chalk board, with marbles, socks, fingers, coins m and ms, birds in the sky, bugs on the ground!

Reading- when your child is ready to read- If you are in tune to your child you will be able to tell when he/she is ready to learn how to read. They have different ways of letting us know when the time comes.
1. Some of the kids learn the favorite books we read to them by heart and like to sit pretending to read them.
2.Some children ask us about words or letters. Whats that word say or whats that letter or how do you make that letter.
3.To see if the child is ready teach him/her to write or pronounce one or more sounds. Does he/she want to learn , seem interested in learning them? or does the child resist?

So if the child is ready, choose your phonics program, something you can both enjoy learning with, doenst have to be an expensive curr. Or even any curr.  Start them out learning sounds! Start them with their name!

History- since they are just learning to read, maybe teach them history about themselves, where they came from, their ancesters, where they live now, town history, something they can relate to

Science- fun experiments, doing stuff outside, tracking a slug!, chasing butterflies, hands on stuff, taking a hike with your lunch and a drawing pad once a week,

Handwriting- as they are learning there phonics sounds you can have them start on forming their letters, start with their name first! They will be so happy to be able to write and spell it! Let them draw circles around and around(good for hand coordination) scribblings on paper, following dotted lines, dot to dots. They can practice in sand, shaving cream, whipping cream with paint brushes on large pieces of paper, use their fingers, crayons etc. when they got that down start them with a pencil on lined paper.

Spelling/vocab- their first spelling word can be their name! as they learn new words, they can put them in a booklet you both made and later they can put in the definitions

Art
music

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Explode The Code (phonics), Handwriting without Tears, math manipulatives, look up some Montessori math activities on YouTube, pick up some beginner reading books, and a library card for lots of books to read to them - all kinds. Maybe pick up a neat science experiment book for little ones. Amazon has great stuff and lots of reviews. Social studies can be a very basic geography, communities, animals around the world, etc. I have picked up very excellent stuff from scholastic, Evan moor, and there are a lot of other inexpensive effective options. 

There are great unit studies you could do at that age. Maybe some lapbooking. Learn through play, observations around them, art, music, nature studies. 

There is a lot of online resources and ideas. Maybe find some homeschooling blogs on homeschooling preschool / kindergarten. 

But have fun with it. Don't stress. Look around, familiarize yourself with everything. Figure out what teaching method you want to use, what your laws are, find a used homeschooling store if you can (so you can see the material first hand). Don't spend much money at this point. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN