Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is it a good idea to homeschool a 10 yr old with ADHD?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello I'm new to cafemom I'm a mother of 3 and what lead me hear is one of my son's he's 10 yrs old he's in 5th grade he has ADHD he takes medication and he also has a LD in reading. I had my son in public school for the past 4 yrs this year I decided to put him on a private school due to the low grades and problems I've been having in the school he has an IEP but due to the fact that it's a private school I just found out that they don't need to go by it. The issue I'm having is that there is 5 kids in the class and he doesn't finish work his grades are D and F they're not even working on goals of the IEP when I went to the school to find out what is the problem inclusively I asked if my son was focusing the teacher tells me there is no problem it's just that your son is not doing his best my son is very shy and he's giving up in school I wanted to know if it was a good option in homeschooling him and what does this imply to me and my son Please if you are reading this if you can put your experiences or advice I really appreciate it I don't know where else to turn.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
klatshaw
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

My son had an IEP, also, for comprehension issues and for working at a slower pace than others. Since homeschooling I have seen a remarkable change in him and his attitude towards learning.

If you think you can help him better than the school can (which, it seems to me they are not) then I say do it. You know him better than anyone else, at any rate. You have to do what you think is best for him,. The fact that you are even considering homeschooling kind of tells me you maybe have already made up your mind???

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
YES YES YES! I have a 10 year old ADHD and we started homeschooling this year. Best decision ever!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I didn't get very far with it, but when my son was in KG... they were talking about giving him sensory stuff and starting to push me in the direction of seeking further diagnosis.   However, we had already pulled my older child, who was struggling with focus and attention issues, too.

We still have issues at home, but they aren't allowed to fall through the cracks when the whole focus is on them.   Also, I have been learning how to teach them in the way that they learn best.   I've been able to research attention issues like ADD and such.   I've just been employing techniques and tricks and trades I've been hearing about... and we have been having at least some success.

For example, we don't use any ONE curriculum for them.   I get curriculum in all different styles.   English is a little more of an old fashioned text, (Rod & Staff).. but we do some of the work on the board and they actually love diagramming sentences and are learning the rules of grammar and such easily.   

Some of their classes are computer (time4learning.com and we are getting ready to use SOS Spanish).  They are also learning to type using a variety of inexpensive typing programs.

We also get involved with sports, home school choir, go swimming, quiz with Junior Bible Quiz (a national quiz meet thing), church clubs on Wednesdays, and play an instrument.

We try our best to keep lessons brief and to the point... we often will say "do every third problem, if you don't miss more than one, then you don't have to do the rest)...   This helps with the focus and attention because having to do 7-8 problems instead of 24 is a big difference.

Also, we have learned that if you get the kids' adrenaline up, when they sit back down, you get a good few minutes of focus.

Also, I've been researching how food impacts ADD and ADHD.   It is said to make a REALLY big difference.   Especially regarding food dyes (like red especially), corn products like corn syrup and such, gluten for some people, too.. and a number of other potential food sensativities that actually seem to either cause or at least make ADD worse.

Some people I know get things like those exercise balls and have the kids use these for chairs at the table or desk.   It helps them get their energy out because of how they have to center themselves to maintain balance... plus, it helps with repetetive motion to get the wiggles out... (bouncing while working)...

Bottom line.. I think homeschooling is a great arena for being able to teach TO your kids needs.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes you can homeschool him & Yes I believe homeschooling is the best for children that learn differently because you can custom fit anything to them rather then having them have to conform & fit to the curriculum/school or teacher!

RockEducation
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

We just started our fourth year of homeschooling. DD is 10 and has a combo of ADD/ADHD. She is always moving while we do school. We take a lot of breaks. I'd say go for it.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I personally believe that the school system makes it very difficult for kids that are diagnosed with add\adhd. My dh was diagnosed with those, had poor grades throughout school, had very few teachers who liked or understood him and was always in trouble, but he is a very bright person, and self.taught (that was the only way he could reallt learn). Imo he would have done great of he were homeschooled!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM

My eldest is on the autism spectrum, which can share similarities w/ ADHD. IMO, the public (and even private) school system is simply not equiped to assist a unique child into becomming a success. They are too much into the 'one size fits all' paradigm. When a child doesn't fit perfectly into that design they try, but for some reason continue to fail miserably at making the changes necessary for each individual child. 

Weve been HSing my eldest since he was a toddler. It's been wildly successful. He is developing a solid sense of self. And he doesn't see himself as weird for being different, he's of the opinion that EVERYONE is different. You see we've separated education from social interaction. My kids can focus on learning in what ever manner works for their minds, at what ever speed, etc. with no fear of being singled out for every milestone or difficulty. They can also focus on developing strong friendships without those educational failures/successes differentiating them from their peers. 

Good Luck! Follow your heart!

OFIH
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM

We homeschooled before we knew our son had ADHD. He also has a learning disability (dyslexia - public schools usually don't call it that, usually call it a learning disability in reading). Homeschooling has been so good for him. I can move slower where he has issues, give him extra help in his weak areas, incorporate dyslexia help into our programs (learning disabilities usually have an effect in more areas than just one. Reading is needed for science, history, math, and more). Teaching these kids has to be intentional and most schools, public and private, are not intentional with any child, much less those that need extra help.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
Sebastian662
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Yes, I am new here too and within the short time I have been in this forum my knowledge and strength to home school has changed greatly.

Yesterday, I shared an over view with my husband and afterwards I asked him on a scale of one to ten where are you 1 meaning no to home school 10 meaning most definitely.

He is at a 5 I am at a 7 and I asked him where were you before I shared this info he was at a 3.

My husband has a mind of an engineer if that helps.

Tomorrow we meet with a CO OP group and next week Umbrella schools I still have lots to learn before making my decision. This group of women are the best I have come across in finding my answers.

My son was in Catholic school. Lutheran for pre school, then  Montessori and now Public.  I have attempted over and over again to state my case that my son learns in a different way and you are absolutely correct schools across the board are not equipped to teach our gifted children.

In our house We have the excersice balls and the indoor trampoline and the chair with the ball in it. For the sensory and Aspergers/ADHD.

We use the brushing technique we go to PT /OT once a week .

He has been off medication for 5 months now and when I spoke to his Pediatric Psychiatrist about putting him back into private school his response was You should get him back on medication that was just the answer I needed to validate that I made the right choice and I will not be using him again.

Knowledge is power. 

I can not make this decision as cut and dry as most because the bio father and I have been separated since my son was 1 and he is 10 so not only do I need to find the info for myself but I must convince 3 others in this equation. 

I hope through your research you come to a decision that works best for you.

Keep asking questions these ladies know what there doing. The rest is up to you.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I have never had my son tested for it. My son is 10 and is very active (I have never seen him be still - seriously). He can only handle small bits of information at a time - he likes it concise and to the point. I have learned that even when it looks like he isnt paying attention; he usually has picked up more information than anyone else. He will constantly look distracted with other things, moving, the etc. He is a bright boy. He personally did well in the public school setting because he is shy and eager to please the teachers. However, this year when hitting 4th grade, he struggled more. He says it is because it was more paperwork and less engaging activities. He thrived last year because he had a teacher who admittedly believed in and loved keeping students active and engaged. She used a lot of props, hands on activities, field trips, interesting outdoor classes, etc.

When I homeschooled him; I had to maintain a balance of keeping him engaged and yet also teaching him to do things that were a bit more challenging for him because of his uniqueness. 

I had my son use a yoga ball to sit on (so that he could bounce on it). I had him cook (follow directions) a recipe every other day. I kept classes short and I kept the day short (we started at 8 and ended at 1p). We took a walk every morning before school started. After each core class (math, science, english, social studies) we had a 20 min break - we would have an art break, a music break, a nature break, and a lunch/play break (the breaks were done outdoors if possible). We used two math curriculums, so we divided math into two small lessons. One at the beginning of the day (Singapore) and one at the end of the day (Saxon). I had tons of math manipulatives (I had all the kids playing with them from a very early age). Both he and my daughter excel at math. He loves to draw and build things so I have him keep a school keepsake box and art portfolio - this encourages him to take what he has learned and translate it in his own way during free time and school.

I tried to just find some quiet and active times with my son, one on one. Trying to build a solid relationship between us - because the truth is, sometimes dealing with him can be a challenge. 

I read a study years ago about how the New York city school district conducted an experiment with their lunches. They changed their lunches off and on for a few years. Some years it was foods very healthy - other years it wasn't. They found that the years it was healthy, their test scores dramatically soared. Thus, they felt, proving that changing even just one meal out a child's day, can provide dramatic results to the positive. The more learn I learn about nutrition, the more I believe this. So all my kids eat very nutritious meals. I know there is research out there about diets and ADHD.

I don't know of any if this will help you, but I thought I would share my experience. I have done a lot research and favor the charlotte mason and classical education methods. I also like some of the Montessori methods for young children. I try to keep up with a lot research out there - and for some reason the USA does not incorporate much of it into their practices. New zealand schools do - and they have the results that back it. 

I know this is already long, but I wanted to add that while my son (and daughter) have done their best to thrive in public schools, I do not think they have benefited much from it. I don't just mean academically. I think the hardest part was seeing the personality changes. They are different children now - and not for the better!!

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)