Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is it a good idea to homeschool a 10 yr old with ADHD?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello I'm new to cafemom I'm a mother of 3 and what lead me hear is one of my son's he's 10 yrs old he's in 5th grade he has ADHD he takes medication and he also has a LD in reading. I had my son in public school for the past 4 yrs this year I decided to put him on a private school due to the low grades and problems I've been having in the school he has an IEP but due to the fact that it's a private school I just found out that they don't need to go by it. The issue I'm having is that there is 5 kids in the class and he doesn't finish work his grades are D and F they're not even working on goals of the IEP when I went to the school to find out what is the problem inclusively I asked if my son was focusing the teacher tells me there is no problem it's just that your son is not doing his best my son is very shy and he's giving up in school I wanted to know if it was a good option in homeschooling him and what does this imply to me and my son Please if you are reading this if you can put your experiences or advice I really appreciate it I don't know where else to turn.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Replies (11-14):
Jnyrican
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your experience it sounds really interesting the tecniques you use I will defenently look into your advice.
Jnyrican
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Thanks to all my next question is if it's true that the work is harder when it comes to homeschooling do I need any kind of training or classes before I homeschool my son?

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Quoting Jnyrican:

Thanks to all my next question is if it's true that the work is harder when it comes to homeschooling do I need any kind of training or classes before I homeschool my son?

It is only harder if you make it harder.

maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I decided I'd rather change the environment to better meet the needs of my child than to try and make my child fit the environment.

I have some blog posts on homeschooling tagged ADHD:  http://tadpolestrailsandtrees.blogspot.com

If you have any specific questions just ask!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)