Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evaluations In Florida

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 5 Replies
I got this email through my local homeschool group this morning:

I'm a certified teacher and a proud former homeschooling mom. For those of you who don't know, you can satisfy the Florida Homeschool Law in regards to portfolio evaluations, by doing them by mail/email. No face-to-face meeting is required. I'd be happy to help any of you that are looking for a "homeschool friendly" teacher. I live in Tallahassee and homeschooled my son through high school and loved every minute of the journey. I understand homeschooling and the Florida Homeschool law and can evaluate any grade level in any Florida county. Feel free to email me ksmith7175@yahoo.com (yahoo dot com) and request my "How Online Evaluations Work" letter or you can visit my website:
http://floridahomeschoolevaluator.webs.com
Evaluations $30 one child $25 for each additional child in family.

Also, if any of you are new to homeschooling (or even a long time hser), I'd be happy to share my files of FAQ for Fl homeschoolers with you. It's written in EZ language and may be helpful to those wanting quick answers to homeschooling questions re: legality, forms, homeschool groups, curriculum, etc. (For the FAQ, send an email to me w/FL FAQ in the subject line and I'll happily email it to you.)

Thanks, have a great summer and happy homeschooling! Karen Smith
FL Teaching Certificate:(DOE#384285)
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm also in Florida so I'll look later at it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YOROSSI
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM

MY SIL is interested in doing this. Do you think it is best for the children? They are 5 and 6. How does this work? I am just worried that they will miss out on the fun times of school. Having friends, birthdays normal kid things. I am scared they will be socially akward. They are all ready very spoiled and sheltered, dont get me wrong whatever is best for them. Sometime I feel like she is doing this for herself. I dont think she wants to go to work or have them away from her. She is very very clingy.She doesnt let them out of her eye sight for a second without hovering. I believe what they call it as Helicopter. We are in Florida aswell. (miami) I understand the school systems suck and whatnot but this is a bit extreme. I think, Please no bashing it is only our opinion. I believe the kids would thrive and acheive so much  away from their mother. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed. Is there something that says things they should know at 5 and 6 years old? I mean my niece is extremely smart but since they baby the boy, I dont think he is on point for a 5 yr old. (Speech wise) etc etc.

Thanks for listening! 

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Quoting YOROSSI:

MY SIL is interested in doing this. Do you think it is best for the children? They are 5 and 6. How does this work? I am just worried that they will miss out on the fun times of school. Having friends, birthdays normal kid things. I am scared they will be socially akward. They are all ready very spoiled and sheltered, dont get me wrong whatever is best for them. Sometime I feel like she is doing this for herself. I dont think she wants to go to work or have them away from her. She is very very clingy.She doesnt let them out of her eye sight for a second without hovering. I believe what they call it as Helicopter. We are in Florida aswell. (miami) I understand the school systems suck and whatnot but this is a bit extreme. I think, Please no bashing it is only our opinion. I believe the kids would thrive and acheive so much  away from their mother. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed. Is there something that says things they should know at 5 and 6 years old? I mean my niece is extremely smart but since they baby the boy, I dont think he is on point for a 5 yr old. (Speech wise) etc etc.

Thanks for listening! 

I'm not one to cast UNNECESSARY aspersions, but well... It sounds like you have a problem with your SIL, and I don't know why it is your business if she homeschools or not. Frankly, I can't tell if this is a troll post or something that spilled over from another board. My child's speech is delayed and it isn't because I "baby" him. I SACRIFICE to stay home with my LO because it is more important to me that he have a loving mother tending to his needs and raising him as God intended, and not because I don't want to work. This is far more work than any job I've ever had, and I've been an owner-operator of a coffee shop and wine bar, an operations manager for a big AE firm, and I've run a catering company. I doubt anyone who truly wants to homeschool out of laziness will be doing it for long. Bottom line: if you REALLY believe your SIL is abusing or neglecting the kids, call the authorities. If you're just nosing in where you have no business, AND playing to dead-wrong and prejudicial homeschooling stereotypes, my advice is to butt out and get over whatever hurt you feel she dealt you. Your attitude toward homeschooling does every parent in this group wrong.

Hope that doesn't hurt your feelings. I am an extremely blunt person, especially when I see someone doing a family member dirty and looking to curry support from strangers. That's low.
YOROSSI
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Quoting tuffymama:

Quoting YOROSSI:

Thanks for listening! 

I'm not one to cast UNNECESSARY aspersions, but well... It sounds like you have a problem with your SIL, and I don't know why it is your business if she homeschools or not. Frankly, I can't tell if this is a troll post or something that spilled over from another board. My child's speech is delayed and it isn't because I "baby" him. I SACRIFICE to stay home with my LO because it is more important to me that he have a loving mother tending to his needs and raising him as God intended, and not because I don't want to work. This is far more work than any job I've ever had, and I've been an owner-operator of a coffee shop and wine bar, an operations manager for a big AE firm, and I've run a catering company. I doubt anyone who truly wants to homeschool out of laziness will be doing it for long. Bottom line: if you REALLY believe your SIL is abusing or neglecting the kids, call the authorities. If you're just nosing in where you have no business, AND playing to dead-wrong and prejudicial homeschooling stereotypes, my advice is to butt out and get over whatever hurt you feel she dealt you. Your attitude toward homeschooling does every parent in this group wrong.

Hope that doesn't hurt your feelings. I am an extremely blunt person, especially when I see someone doing a family member dirty and looking to curry support from strangers. That's low.

Thanks for responding. This has nothing to do with feelings. This was your opinion as I have my own. ( Not sure what you mean by doing a family wrong) , I just dont want my niece & nephew to be socially akward plain and simple. WE shall see as time passes. NO need to respond. I will continue to have my opinion as you do yours!

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Quoting YOROSSI:

Wow, gotta love it when someone comes into a group to insult the group through the back door. Homeschooled children are no more at risk of becoming socially awkward due to their method of education than B&M kids. In fact, the homeschooled kids I've gotten to know seem to be pretty emotionally secure and outgoing. Maybe that's because one of the many benefits of homeschooling is kids aren't forced to "socialize" with one age group of kids selected at random by a computer, but they can associate with all ages and backgrounds. I have opinions based on fact, research, and observation, not bias and prejudice, and my opinions can change with new information and education. It is a foolish person who clings to a theory stubbornly in spite of facts that point elsewhere.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)