Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

2nd language *edited with another question*

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 14 Replies
If you taught a 2nd language when did you introduce it? In high school or in elementary?

What program/curriculum did you use for them at that age?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM

i started ours(spanish) in kindergarten

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM

We've introduced them as early as possible. We did Latin at around 2nd grade.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM

the earlier the better when it comes to second languages. :-)

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM
It didn't mess with learning phonics?
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I think we will start teaching Spanish next year - 3rd and 1st. 

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Well we plan on raising our babies bilingual so they'll learn Arabic and English from birth.  The best time to learn a new language is from birth-early elementary as their minds are like little sponges which just soak up everything.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Bump!
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM
With preachooler are trying now. With my older two i started it when they we in 4 th and 6 th grade i wish i started them at a younger age two
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM
ASL from birth. Spanish we started at about 3.
jeweldragons
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Well that depends what you want to teach as far as foreign language wise. 

Now with our future children they'll learn Arabic from talking to their father and English from me and being out in the world.  I also plan on using Ad-Duha Institute for Arabic and Islamic Studies lessons plus some other Arabic workbooks from Islamic Book Store where I get Islamic DVDs and books for my benefit and future childrens' benefit.

Muffy has some DVDS (English, Spanish, I think Italian, a few others I don't remember at the moment).  Rosetta Stone (expensive) has a host of different languages spanning 3 levels. 

The best way for you to learn a new language is to hear it everyday and be exposed to people who speak that language as their native tongue.  For me I watch Arabic cartoons and listen to my husband when he talks to his family in Arabic.  Then if I hear a word I don't know I ask him what it means or if we're out shopping he'll tell me what some things are in Arabic and I commit it to memory. 

Say you want your children to learn Spanish.  Do you have any Spanish speaking friends or Spanish speaking family members? Do you have any Spanish books in the library you could check out.  Is there a community in your city or area that has a lot of Spanish speaking people?   Perhaps you could make different foods from different Spanish speaking countries or if you know someone from a Spanish speaking country perhaps ask them to show you a traditional way to make something?  Is there anyway you could get a tutor or a babysitter for a couple hours and have him/her speak in the language you want to teach your children?

For me I don't remember much of Spanish even though I took 1 1/2 years of it in high school.  I picked up a bit of Spanish from watching Dora and Diego.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN