Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Help with Literature Curriculum.

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 6 Replies
I have picked out and even ordered/received most of our curriculum for next school year. My big problem is Literature. I have one AVID reader, and one very reluctant reader.... For the avid reader, my current plan is to give her a list of books to read "for school" and a list of ideas for a project at the end of each book. Then I'm going to leave it up to her to schedule it on her own (she's going to be a 6th grader and I want to encourage her independence and time management). But my reluctant reader, I just really don't know what to do. I want him to read books, and this year a tried to have him fill out a daily reading journal, but it didn't work out. It is like pulling teeth to get him to read anything other than directions of his work (and somedays, he's not real willing to do that). Any suggestions for how to make reading fun for him?
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM

check out 'a total language plus' maybe something like that would work for him? it worked for my son, you could do it the way they do theres, i followed their format, was fun for all the kids

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

How old is he?

I have a reluctent reader too! I read to her & get books about things she likes & is interested in, but I don't push because I know pushing will not help her like or love reading. The last thing I want is for her to hate reading so I continue to show her the world of books & stories through me reading to her & I hope that one day a book will come along that sparks her love.

maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

For the reluctant reader, read aloud to him. Read a variety of books, books he likes, books you pick, etc. Read to him and talk about the books together.

lifesadream83
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:35 AM
We started moving beyond the page literature/ language arts at the end of this year off the recommendation of a friend... Dd is loving it and I like the connections it makes ... I believe they have samples online...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leighp1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a relunctant reader as well.  We do a lot of reading together and that does help.  There is a website that has the books read to them.  You can download them as audio and as book files.  He could listen to the books being read and follow along with the book files.  I think that is what I am going to do next year with my dd.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.guysread.com/

Jon Scieszka is an author who spans a huge age range.  He and his buddies noticed that a lot of guys are reluctant readers, and he put this website together to encourage boys to read.

I would also separate the reading and writing.  Writing is something that gives a lot of people fits, and isn't the same as thinking about literature.  Just talk with him about it.  Eventually move to writing because that's an important skill, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN