Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OPT OUT (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

I live in PA. This is our first year homeschooling. Next spring my son will have to take a standardized test. I have read the law. We have a choice of a few tests to take, I know where he can take it, how much it will cost, etc. What I do not know is this: a public school student can opt out of the test. I see nowhere, anywhere, where it says a homeschooler has the same right to opt out. Does anyone have any insight?

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't live in PA so I can't help you but here is a bump!

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Here is a list of experienced home educators in PA.  Call them with your question. 

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:51 AM

BUMP!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Students in the public schools can opt out of the PSSAs, but they are required to take the Iowas, Stanford acheivements, the Novas, the DORA/DOMA, or the Dibels that the school also takes.  They do not have the option of "opting out" of ALL standardized tests, only the PSSAs which are now being changed over to something new that I can't remamber at the moment.  You also can opt to have your child take any of the other tests (we will take the Terra Nova next year) but you cannot Opt Out of all standardized tests either.  I'm really sad to say it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Bumpity bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)