Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Make your own?? How do you stay on track????

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok, my oldest is in first grade. So I haven't purchased a curriculum of any kind.

I have a list of topics I want to cover. I don't have it broken down by grades, since we go all year long with interval breaks and days off.
My question is mainly, what do you do to keep your kids going? What happens when it's hard for them to stay motivated or focused enough to complete one task? Some days I feel like I'm pulling my hair out and other days I feel like we're not getting anything done and I end up questioning my ability to homeshool. We have days where we get so much accomplished, but they're so few and far between I feel like I'm putting them at a disadvantage by homeschooling them. (them: I also work with my four year old on math, since he's even better at reading, at times, than his older sister.)

What tips or advice do you have to feel like you're on-track?
What do you do to feel like you're not a failure at this?
What do you say to yourself to convince yourself to not give up?
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Replies (31-35):
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM
How fun would that be! He sounds too cute. I think we are going to make a board like the one in your picture soon. She thought his board was super cool & says to please tell him hello. We will have to get together if you are in south Alabama give us a shout.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Same here it's crazy! He is also going to be a paleontologist and when he turns 22 he's moving to Wyoming to work at some geologic museum.. Or something like that! Lol wish we could get them two together!

Quoting twyliatepeka:

My dd is about to be 6 & she is into the civil war too! :) I never knew kids so young would be interested in the civil war. She brought it up on her own too was what surprised me.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Mobile Photo

I try to switch subjects when my son is uninterested. Or try to make it fun to talk about or play a game or just take a break. I'm really unorganized though and trying to work on that so I'm no help, sorry! He is 8 and he loves talking about the civil war so even though it wasn't in any of our plans for a long time I went out and bought stuff and we put together a board for him to keep in his room and I'm going to try n set up a day for him to go to my class and present it. Lol he's really excited about it and after we did that we have had a better time.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

What tips or advice do you have to feel like you're on-track?  We do not ever plan to have our kids in a traditional school, so I don't really worry much about staying on track or grade level. I buy thier workbooks and then when we master those, we just buy the next level. 
What do you do to feel like you're not a failure at this? I know that I am the best person in the world to teach my children. I also don't worry about the small stuff. If we are struggling, we continue to work on that.....there is absolutly no time frame for us.
What do you say to yourself to convince yourself to not give up?  I haven't felt like giving up. If we are having a hard day, we stop & have fun. Go on a walk, go to the gym, watch a movie. I am VERY eclectic, so doing these things don't bother me at all. 

tuplamama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Quoting celticdragon77:

Whereas Finland does not have their children start school until they are 8rs old - and also have shorter days (4 1/2hrs).

Hi. Just wanted to correct something. School starts here in Finland when kids turn 7 years old. Grammar school lasts 9 years. As far as school days.. first and second grade 19 hours/week, third and fourth grades 23 hours/week, fifth&sixth grade 24 hours/week and 7th, 8th and 9th grade 30 hours/week.

We do have very little homework compared to USA public schools. Our twins are on 3rd grade and IF they get any homework it is done in 10-15 minutes.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Thank you for that info. I saw a few videos and articles discussing and comparing the USA schools vs the leading country in education - Finland. The info I found was the 8yrs / 4 1/2hrs a day info. But I trust that since you live there, that your info is likely more valid. The 4 1/2 hr days does seem close to the average though when looking at your numbers- Assuming they go to school five days a week (like here). 

19hrs a wk- about 4hrs a day - 1-2grades

23/24hrs a wk- about 5hrs a day - 3-6grades

30 hrs a wk- 6 hrs a day - 7-9grades

My kids (3rd and 4th grade) attend school 7hrs a day - and have about an hour of homework almost every night. 

I would love learning more about what the finland schools do that make them so effective. I know that I have read that they require masters degrees, and have more respect for teachers. However, I am more curious about how the classrooms operate. There must be something very different going on in those classrooms. Because at the end of the day, those children have retained more of their lessons. 

Quoting tuplamama:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Whereas Finland does not have their children start school until they are 8rs old - and also have shorter days (4 1/2hrs).

Hi. Just wanted to correct something. School starts here in Finland when kids turn 7 years old. Grammar school lasts 9 years. As far as school days.. first and second grade 19 hours/week, third and fourth grades 23 hours/week, fifth&sixth grade 24 hours/week and 7th, 8th and 9th grade 30 hours/week.

We do have very little homework compared to USA public schools. Our twins are on 3rd grade and IF they get any homework it is done in 10-15 minutes.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

tuplamama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Quoting celticdragon77:

However, I am more curious about how the classrooms operate. There must be something very different going on in those classrooms. Because at the end of the day, those children have retained more of their lessons. 

I'm actually Finn myself, my spouse is American. Yes, all teachers must have masters degree. And yes, school week is 5 days a week.  Class is 45 minutes and then there is always 15 minutes recess outside, yes even in winter. School lunches are free and it is real food, no pizzas or that stuff, lunch hour is 1/2 hour.

Class sizes are smaller than in USA. 1st and 2nd grade students concentrate on basic skills, the goal is that in the end of second grade all students can read&write&basic math. There is also 2-3 hours PE/week, music, drawing and handcraft(both boys and girls learn to do stuff like knitting, how to use sowing machines and wood work, all sorts of projects). You take your first foreign language on third grade, most take english but of course there are other choices.

We do have also other options like Waldorf school but all education must be free so we do not have any private schools. And of course home schooling is totally OK but only very few take that option.

Check this;

http://www.minedu.fi/OPM/Koulutus/perusopetus/?lang=en

I'm of course happy to answer any question you have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN