Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Make your own?? How do you stay on track????

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok, my oldest is in first grade. So I haven't purchased a curriculum of any kind.

I have a list of topics I want to cover. I don't have it broken down by grades, since we go all year long with interval breaks and days off.
My question is mainly, what do you do to keep your kids going? What happens when it's hard for them to stay motivated or focused enough to complete one task? Some days I feel like I'm pulling my hair out and other days I feel like we're not getting anything done and I end up questioning my ability to homeshool. We have days where we get so much accomplished, but they're so few and far between I feel like I'm putting them at a disadvantage by homeschooling them. (them: I also work with my four year old on math, since he's even better at reading, at times, than his older sister.)

What tips or advice do you have to feel like you're on-track?
What do you do to feel like you're not a failure at this?
What do you say to yourself to convince yourself to not give up?
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

If I'm worried about falling behind. I go to the library and pick out a few workbooks for their grades and flip through. I see things that they are ahead on and sometimes, something I didn't think about. It is really surprising to see how much they learn without help.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I completely agree!

I have two kids that were homeschooled, then put into public school for two years, and then wishing to be homeschooled again - so with great thought and care, we chose to go back to homeschooling.

I dont knock all public schools, because there can be pros there as well. However, I think there is more flexibility and depth to homeschooling. As long as there is due diligence on everyone's part; their progress should be on par. However, it is probably wise to "measure" it every so often.

Quoting Kat0038:

I too have a first grader and a four year old and they both learn differently. But I know we are on track when my first grader explains to her grandmother how a plant grows and gives us oxygen while my four year old reads his numbers books. A lot of times when I quiz them they blank out but when they are relaxed I realize they are learning. And they are defiantly better off at home one on one than being put into a class room full of twenty five other kids and one adult. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

lucsch
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I work better with a boxed curriculum--that way I know it covers everything we need. I add to it, tweak it, but at least it is a firm starting point.

I also keep a 2-page planner for each school day. I write all of our subjects and page numbers to cover for the 2 weeks. As we complete each item, I check it off. I also count the days across the top (the days of the week) to track our school days per calendar year. We need 180.

At the 1st grade level, I'd focus more on teaching skills, not topics. Work on phonics and increasing reading skills, handwriting, and basic addition and subtraction knowledge. It is pretty easy! The rest is gravy.

Kat0038
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because I homeschool doesn't mean it's for everyone. Homeschooling takes a lot of time, energy, planning, creativity, and organizing. I don't judge anyone for sending their kids to any school. I felt as though it is the best for my kids because I did terribly in public school. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

I completely agree!

I have two kids that were homeschooled, then put into public school for two years, and then wishing to be homeschooled again - so with thought and care, we chose to homeschool again.

I dont knock all public schools, because there can be pros there as well. However, I think there is more flexibility and depth to homeschooling. As long as there is due diligence on everyone's part; their progress should be on par. It is probably wise to measure it every so often.

Quoting Kat0038:

I too have a first grader and a four year old and they both learn differently. But I know we are on track when my first grader explains to her grandmother how a plant grows and gives us oxygen while my four year old reads his numbers books. A lot of times when I quiz them they blank out but when they are relaxed I realize they are learning. And they are defiantly better off at home one on one than being put into a class room full of twenty five other kids and one adult. 

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Sorry - that was not meant to imply anything on your part. I liked various points you made and expanded with some thoughts I had when reading it.

I just recently decided to homeschool again. I'm putting together my plans and organizing things. Honestly, I'm kind of in here using this forum as a way to help gather my thoughts and inspire me. So excuse the ramblings. :)

Quoting Kat0038:

Just because I homeschool doesn't mean it's for everyone. Homeschooling takes a lot of time, energy, planning, creativity, and organizing. I don't judge anyone for sending their kids to any school. I felt as though it is the best for my kids because I did terribly in public school. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

I completely agree!

I have two kids that were homeschooled, then put into public school for two years, and then wishing to be homeschooled again - so with thought and care, we chose to homeschool again.

I dont knock all public schools, because there can be pros there as well. However, I think there is more flexibility and depth to homeschooling. As long as there is due diligence on everyone's part; their progress should be on par. It is probably wise to measure it every so often.

Quoting Kat0038:

Kat0038
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Lol no worries. I was actually doing the same thing. See my brother is an educator, but instead of homeschooling his kids, he sends them to a Waldorf school, which costs an arm and a leg. So I was kind of thinking about him too when I replied. So you could say I was rambleing too. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

Sorry - that was not meant to imply anything on your part. I liked various points you made and expanded with some thoughts I had when reading it.

I just recently decided to homeschool again. I'm putting together my plans and organizing things. Honestly, I'm kind of in here using this forum as a way to help gather my thoughts and inspire me. So excuse the ramblings. :)

Quoting Kat0038:

Quoting celticdragon77:

I completely agree!

Quoting Kat0038:

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

A few years ago, I knew a few people who were teachers at a Waldorf school. Very interesting school - and people! It is actually what initially inspired me to homeschool. 

Quoting Kat0038:

Lol no worries. I was actually doing the same thing. See my brother is an educator, but instead of homeschooling his kids, he sends them to a Waldorf school, which costs an arm and a leg. So I was kind of thinking about him too when I replied. So you could say I was rambleing too. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Do you know a good source for printing scope & sequence?

Quoting KickButtMama:

When I started doing my own curriculum, my baseline became - "As long as they are learning every day, then I'm happy"

But I'm a type A personality, so I likke having things written out. What I did was make a 3 ring binder. I printed several scope & sequences for every single grade. I organized them by grade and put them all in the one giant notebook. Whenever my kids master a concept, I go into the notebook and highlight it - no matter the grade it's listed under. So the kids aren't learning in the same linear fashion the PS follows. They might do a concept found in grade K one day and grade 11 the next. I don't care about that. We go toward mastery - as long as the kids are learning, absorbing and mastering the concepts? I'm a happy girl.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I do like having something all planned out and feeling like, okay, I did that...and that... check... etc.

When you (or, I) are just going through workbooks but not based off any lesson plans, it's easy to feel like nothing is getting accomplished. 

Maybe if you  just made a lesson plan for each week (or even each day) of what you want to cover. That way you can look back over the past week or month and see, yeah, we DID cover a lot of stuff! Using a curriculum that comes with an instructor's guide already has that work done for you, but you could do it yourself. 

We are done with our boxed curr. for the year and so for the next couple of months are just kind of winging it. And it does get frustrating sometimes. I do keep a lesson plan book and either fill it in for the week or day, and once in awhile fill it in AFTER we're done - write what we did. 

Also I just try to remember, as long as we are learning something, I'm not a failure. It gets frustrating and discouraging when your child struggles to learn something, or when you feel like you aren't teaching them the right way. Just keep at it. It'll happen. 

Kat0038
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM

They definitely think and teach outside the box, which I like. But it is a twelve year commitment. His kids would be behind in ps. They don't start teaching reading until third grade. They don't introduce technology until teen years, where as in public school it is the opposite. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

A few years ago, I knew a few people who were teachers at a Waldorf school. Very interesting school - and people! It is actually what initially inspired me to homeschool. 

Quoting Kat0038:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN