Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning Opportunities! Today in History: April 3

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 3 Replies

Below are a list of events that took place today in history.
Have you studied or will you be studying any of these events?
Share with us!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Cafe MichelleP
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Good day in history for me. I knew a lot of these..lol

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Pretty interesting read today.

usmom3
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Here is some more info about the birth of the cell phone.

On this day in history, 1973, a Motorola employee, Martin Cooper, publicly demonstrated the world’s first handheld mobile phone by placing a call to Joel Engel, the head of research at AT&T’s Bell Labs using the phone. Engel and his team were Cooper’s chief rival and had also been attempting to make the world’s first handheld mobile phone.

As Cooper stated, “As I walked down the street while talking on the phone, sophisticated New Yorkers gaped at the sight of someone actually moving around while making a phone call. Remember that in 1973, there weren’t cordless telephones, let alone cellular phones. I made numerous calls, including one where I crossed the street while talking to a New York radio reporter – probably one of the more dangerous things I have ever done in my life.”

This first handheld cell phone had only 20 minutes of battery life when talking, but as Cooper stated “that wasn’t really a big problem because you couldn’t hold that phone up for that long.” (The phone weighed 2.4 pounds.) Once the phone battery was drained, it took 10 hours to charge back up fully.

Happy Birthday to your cell phone!

Text from Today I Found Out
On this day in history, 1973, a Motorola employee, Martin Cooper, publicly demonstrated the world’s first handheld mobile phone by placing a call to Joel Engel, the head of research at AT&T’s Bell Labs using the phone. Engel and his team were Cooper’s chief rival and had also been attempting to make the world’s first handheld mobile phone.

As Cooper stated, “As I walked down the street while talking on the phone, sophisticated New Yorkers gaped at the sight of someone actually moving around while making a phone call. Remember that in 1973, there weren’t cordless telephones, let alone cellular phones. I made numerous calls, including one where I crossed the street while talking to a New York radio reporter – probably one of the more dangerous things I have ever done in my life.”

This first handheld cell phone had only 20 minutes of battery life when talking, but as Cooper stated “that wasn’t really a big problem because you couldn’t hold that phone up for that long.” (The phone weighed 2.4 pounds.) Once the phone battery was drained, it took 10 hours to charge back up fully.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)