Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

NEW in Texas..

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am seriously considering homeschooling my children. Next year the ones in school will be in 3rd and K. Are there any Texas moms who can give me any info on what curriculum you use and what are the costs of homeschooling? Thanks..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I live in Texas! We don't use a curriculum, the kids learn what interest them & I find a way to tie all the required subjects into it. As far as cost goes it is as expensive or as cheep as you make it!

Have you looked up the laws yet?

This is a great place to get all the information you need for homeschooling in Texas http://thsc.org/

Also knowing their learning styles is a big help in figuring out what will or wont work for each of them.

doublejay38
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Yes! I went to that THSC site and read up. I was just thinkibg, how difficult would it be if I moved to another state in the future. Could my kids suffer from other states being more strict or either going back to public, if ever?
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Quoting doublejay38:

Yes! I went to that THSC site and read up. I was just thinkibg, how difficult would it be if I moved to another state in the future. Could my kids suffer from other states being more strict or either going back to public, if ever?

I Would think moving would be no different then if they where in public school, not all public schools teach the same thing you would just have to start doing it the way that state says to do it. As far as sending them back to public school, they would probably give them placement test or just stick them in the grade that lines up with their ages.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Where in Texas? I'm in far southern Oklahoma but I can see Texas from my porch lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

not in texas, but welcome doublejay!!!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in TX and I love the freedom we have to teach how and what we want. Homeschooling doesnt have to be expensive at all. It just all depends on the method you use. I personally am kind of eclectic. My kids are strange, they actually like workbooks, but with a mix of hands on and textbook styles. So I mix and match curriculums and piece it together from various sources, which is much cheaper than buying a "all in one", but more expensive than a  Charlotte Mason method, which can be done free with a good library. As far as keeping up with Public school, unless you go with a ps curriculum, I can almost guarantee that it would be problematic integrating after hsing, simply because generally, hs'ed kids are more advanced, but also because (for instance) my kids started learning ancient history and the middle ages at a time when ps kids are learning about Columbus and Pilgrims. See how that would be a problem? Since I'm not following anyone elses timeline, my kids would be at a completely differnt place. But you could choose a curriculum that followed ps schedule if you wanted.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Forgot to answer one of your questions. LOL.   I use Mystery of History, Life of Fred and  Key To Fractions for math, Truth In Science(dont recommend it) for science, and McGuffey readers(vintage stuff from the 1800s) and Bible for Language arts. Next year is Notgrass History, which includes a Language Arts element along with continuing the McGuffey readers, LOF and Key To...series, BJU science and Real Science 4 Kids. THat's a real good mix of unit study, textbook, workbook, and hands-on styles.

TxMommyOfBoys
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I am in DFW texas :D 

Homeschooling does NOT have to be expensive. We use Life of Fred for math ($16 per book, twice a year), Total Lanuage Plus ($20 twice a year), and some random workbooks for editing, reading comp & math practice (additional $25) We also shop at half price books and read alot :D

doublejay38
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Texarkana

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Where in Texas? I'm in far southern Oklahoma but I can see Texas from my porch lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN