Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Geography curriculum

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am looking at geography for next year and wanted some input. What one do you use, what's the good, bad about it. Kids are 4th and first grades, and would like something they can do together!

thanks!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM
We are doing Confessions of a Homeschoolers road trip USA. I'm doing it with my 2nd grader and K'er
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeweldragons
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I plan on using the A Trip Around the World for K-3 series for geography for Kindergarten-3rd grade for Geography for my future homeschooling (I am TTC). 

Kat0038
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM

My daughter is in first grade and we are going to do Discover America State by State series 

doriselm
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

This sounds interesting! Where did you get this?

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

We are doing Confessions of a Homeschoolers road trip USA. I'm doing it with my 2nd grader and K'er

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM
It's on confessionofahomeschooler.com

It was $18 and I just printed everything and put it in a binder :)

Quoting doriselm:

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I really enjoyed the first year of the My Father's World cycle, however, it's VERY, VERY Christian.   It also incorporates science, bible, art, music, with it geography.

I'm not as big of a fan of the second year of the cycle, but that's not fair to them.   We hit a bad patch financially and I tried to take on a full time overnight job while homeschooling two and had a toddler.   Also, found out I was pg a few weeks after starting the job.   So, that's probably not their fault.

However, that first year was awesome.   My 1st grader was a little young, but he was a little advanced reading and writing.   I also expected different things from them in the different projects.  I would help a lil more or let them work together as a team.

That being said, at the end of the year... we quizzed on the countries on each continent and my 1st grader could plug in 58 countries and my 3rd grader could plug in 72.

They also had a good grasp on cultures around the world, too.  They've forgotten some of it, but they DID know it and it comes back to them when they review certain subjects.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

oh, and Apologia puts out one that you can do with any age group (from K up to high school)... it's called around the world in 180 days.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Are you certain that is the website? I tried it and my anti-virus program blocked the website.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Quoting doriselm:

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

lucsch
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I have this, but it looks a little advanced for a 4th grader.

OP, have you looked at "A Trail Guide to U.S. Geography" or "A Trail Guide to World Geography"? It has 3 levels of assignments.

Quoting KrissyKC:

oh, and Apologia puts out one that you can do with any age group (from K up to high school)... it's called around the world in 180 days.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Are you certain that is the website? I tried it and my anti-virus program blocked the website.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Quoting doriselm:

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)