Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you ever sign a statement of faith you did not 100% agree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm just curious. My cousin invited me to join a co op she will be joining next year and has been talking to me about for a while. It sounded like a lot of fun and I was excited about it. She sent me a link to their page last night and I found that you have to join the state association first and that requires a signed statement of faith. I could maybe let slip on a couple technicalities, but there's too much in this one I don't agree with, so I won't be signing. But it makes me really sad because it would be great to be in the co op with my cousin and it's the only one of this nature I know of around here.

So would you sign it? Would it make a difference *what* you didn't agree with? Or how much? Or how relevant to schooling?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:37 AM
I can't find any that are group class like. The other one that is play dates and field trips is completely secular with no requirements. And really that's all we need. If I could find a secular one that does the class thing I would check it out, but I still might not join.

I guess more than anything I was surprised at the contents of the SOF and wondered if other people just sign them without worrying about it and I'm being picky or difficult to refuse to sign.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

see if there is a co-op run by the city this one you are talking about is about god im sure there is one that isnt like that and it doesnt make you sign something you dont agree with

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Ok I was thinking along the lines of a church's or denomination's statement of faith, just the last section of the one you posted. If a school has one like I was thinking, sure I'd sign if I didn't agree with one or two minor things. I wouldn't sign that one though. Were they implying a married couple without children isn't a family, or is it stated that way because if you're applying you have children? Do they believe dinosaurs didn't really exist and animals don't evolve to adapt their environment, hence evolution is a real thing? Ok, ok, never mind I'm going off on a tangent now...

In your situation, no, I definitely wouldn't have signed it.

katiebeth1821
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Something like that i would be picky about because those things that shocked you are going to be taught to your child its what your child are going to learn and your child will belive i wouldnt sign it.

The school has such a norrow mind.

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

I can't find any that are group class like. The other one that is play dates and field trips is completely secular with no requirements. And really that's all we need. If I could find a secular one that does the class thing I would check it out, but I still might not join.

I guess more than anything I was surprised at the contents of the SOF and wondered if other people just sign them without worrying about it and I'm being picky or difficult to refuse to sign.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

see if there is a co-op run by the city this one you are talking about is about god im sure there is one that isnt like that and it doesnt make you sign something you dont agree with

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:44 AM
It's not a school, it's just a co op. so it's a bunch of homeschool parents that get together once a week and take turns teaching classes to the kids. Well, that's how the local chapter does it. It's the parent organization that wrote the SOF and I'm not sure what else they do.

I think my cousin probably agrees with it whole heartedly. I'm sure it will come up when she asks why I'm not joining, but it's probably best for our relationship that we don't dig into it too much.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

Im appalled by it. For a school to go there like that omg its things like that that makes me shake my head and say thats part of the reason we have people who push god on peopel and are blind to change. i belive in god but i dont belive that is what god had in mind or what he want the kids to be learning.

You should talk to your cousin make sure she read it all the way through talk to her about it.

Im shocked that there is a school like that

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Yea I don't want her going either. I'm sad that it is what it is and that we can't join my cousin. I'm not sad that we won't be joining the group behind that statement, if that makes sense! I'm also a little sad knowing my cousin probably will sign it.

I was also shocked by it. I knew as soon as I saw "statement of faith" that there might be a problem, but I didn't expect to be appalled by so much of it.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

OMG NO I would not sign that at all im shocked and omg im lost for words i would not want my child going there having there veiws pushed on my child. I see what you mean now

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

That's kind of more like what this one would be, only drop offs aren't allowed, all parents stay and help with SOMEthing. No, it's more than agreeing you'll show up. Here's the application, the statement is page 2:

http://www.utch.org/images/stories/utch/convention/utchmembershipapplication1.09.2013.ff.pdf

Quoting katiebeth1821:

Im talking about a school I drop my kids off at and have to vounteer twice a month.

I found one called shining star co-op and it doesnt sound like you have to sign anything.

The only thing i can see that you have to sign is agreeing you are going to show up when its your time too and pay when you are ment to is that the one you are talking about?

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

No, it's legit and up to date. http://www.utch.org/ is the state association and it's one of it's local chapters that runs the co op. I have joined a co op that does park play dates, field trips, and other random activities. It's fun and there are no up front requirements, fees, or statements to sign. This other co op is one that does a "co op day" once a week where you sign up for different classes and they all meet and basically have parent-run "regular" school for a few hours. I may or may not have decided to do it anyway. That's never been something I was eager to do. But it sounded kind of fun to try out while DD is still young enough that it wouldn't take any time away from our regular work. The main perk would have been doing it with my cousin and her kids.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

wow i never heard of this my boys are in a co-op school right now and i dont remember anything like that. I would talk to the school about it. Might be a old site might now apply anymore I would really check with someone before.

I love being in the co-op getting other mom support being able to be there for my child. The kids and parents become friends that can last way after the co-op.

I hope the best. If that thing does apply then dont do something you dont feel is right.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebeth1821
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:47 AM

what there applying is way worse then that.  This statment makes me sick to my stomach

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Ok I was thinking along the lines of a church's or denomination's statement of faith, just the last section of the one you posted. If a school has one like I was thinking, sure I'd sign if I didn't agree with one or two minor things. I wouldn't sign that one though. Were they implying a married couple without children isn't a family, or is it stated that way because if you're applying you have children? Do they believe dinosaurs didn't really exist and animals don't evolve to adapt their environment, hence evolution is a real thing? Ok, ok, never mind I'm going off on a tangent now...

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Our church has a private school and they don't even require you to sign a SOF for enrollment.

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:50 AM
That was exactly my thoughts. I figured if there were minor theological differences, I could sign that and just not sign her up for bible class or whatever. I didn't expect it to go where it did.

It does seen to imply that. It also seems to classify adoptees and single parents as second class in a way. They "make exception" for them. Like they're not good enough but they'll allow them. And how in the heck is mathematics supposed to have a basis in theology or however it was worded?? And that's not even getting into the homosexual and co-habitors part. Ok, I'm on a tangent now too...

I tried to copy the whole thing into word and highlight what I didn't agree with, but I was only able to leave a word or two alone in the first two thirds of it.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Wow! I read their statement and dont agree. I have signed statements of faith before. (I believe Jesus is the on of God, things like that.) This sounds like a statement of politics! So if you do not think hiw they think you cannot learn together?

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:04 AM

No

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I would not sign a document with which I did not agree. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)