Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever sign a statement of faith you did not 100% agree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm just curious. My cousin invited me to join a co op she will be joining next year and has been talking to me about for a while. It sounded like a lot of fun and I was excited about it. She sent me a link to their page last night and I found that you have to join the state association first and that requires a signed statement of faith. I could maybe let slip on a couple technicalities, but there's too much in this one I don't agree with, so I won't be signing. But it makes me really sad because it would be great to be in the co op with my cousin and it's the only one of this nature I know of around here.

So would you sign it? Would it make a difference *what* you didn't agree with? Or how much? Or how relevant to schooling?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM

There is a co-op around that has a statement of belief that you had to sign.  I couldn't sign it in good conscience.  I looked around and found one where you just had to sign something that said you respected their beliefs.  I am fine with that since I respect everyone's beliefs.    I also started my own as well.  We meet at the local library.  I belong to a christian co-op and since I only follow the OT(Judiasm) I don't agree with most of their beliefs.  The people there are awesome.  When my son's art teacher was doing art class she let him do a picture of Moses instead of Jesus.  I would look around for others as well.  Maybe even start your own.  I am sure there are others that feel the same way as you.

OFIH
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I would never sign a statement of beliefs I didn't agree with. My faith is very personal and very important to me. I wouldn't lie about what they were.

I read the statement when I saw someone mention they might not believe in dinosaurs. I didn't get that out of it at all. The only part I had an issue with, and it might be cleared up with a phone call, was the adopted children and single parent part. Do they mean that wasn't in God's design but due to our sinful nature (apart from the death of a spouse) that we now include these as legitimate families (that's what I am thinking they mean) or "well, we don't really like it but won't freak if you are"?

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
energygirl
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

If there are too many red flags, I wouldn't sign either (there are other co-ops....or you can do things with co-op members outside of the co-op).   If there were things I definitely didn't agree with I would not sign (like salvation issues, or clear cut issues like that) but if it were issues like "women can  be pastors", which is something I don't agree with but I can see where some folks use scripture to defend that...and I am not 100% sure I am right on that one...then I might be willing to sign  because it is not a "make it or break it" issue for me.  May be worth talking to a couple of folks in the co-op to get their take on the parts you don't agree with...might be something where most of the folks don't agree either....in that case I wouldn't sign, but might encourage those that are in the co-op already to seek changing the wording etc. in the statement to be more accurate of what the group believes...

SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I signed a general Protestant sort of SOF for our co-op because even though my DD doesn't believe, I do. In fact, I even made a call before signing it to be sure that they were okay with students who weren't Christian. The SOF was for the parents, so it wasn't a problem. They did ask that she be respectful during prayer and said that since they were a Christian organization, there would inevitably be a Christian POV presented in each class. She's fine with that.

But I wouldn't have signed the SOF you linked to, Mommy2Phenley. Their definition of family felt 'off' to me, and I have big problems with some of the points in their 'Nature of Education' section. Big problems. Minor disagreements I could probably overlook, but those spoke to an unrighteously judgmental attitude. Not something I want my kids to think is acceptable.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I'm in the position frequently. We are Roman Catholics in protestant land.

No, if the SOF signatures requires that I agree with the statement, I will not sign it; if, however, signing just indicates I acknowledge and respect that *this* is what the perspective from which they run the co-op, I will sign.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Joann.HS
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Eh, I would sign. You will probably find that others aren't in complete agreement as well. I don't think they are looking to force their beliefs onto your child.

Edit- have not read through SOF
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I read the sof in question. No. Just NO.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I would absolutely not do it. The only reason I would swear to something I don't believe or isn't true is to save my kids' lives. And that is a strange requirement for a co-op. There are more and probably better out there. Or start your own.
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Okay just read the SOF. It's Utah, so I get the bigotry concerning children of gay parents. No, I would not sign that, because I think all children have rights to protections and loving education, and social inclusion, not just kids of straight parents. I think you can do better in finding a group. Who wants to hang out with a bunch of bigoted Stepford Wives and their cookie cutter kids? That's not for me. I have major problems with the tenets and requirements of a couple of religions and the men who perpetuate such things, and I certainly don't castigate the kids for it. The fact that people are required to sign an official document swearing to conform to group bias against another group just to join and have assumed protections of an organizations is a big, flashing, red warning light to me. I would give them wide berth. Smile and nod, and go on your merry way.
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM

No I wouldn't sign it.  If I don't agree with it, then it's not right for me or my family.

Start a new group if this group was not right, or keep searching for the right group.  When we started homeschooling we couldn't find any group to join that was right for us, and we tried a few.  Within this past year and a half we joined an awesome group, and I'm glad I kept searching and waiting because it was worth it.  The group is not old, maybe a few years at most, but the members are awesome and it's grown into a large group of great homeschooling families that do so much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)