Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you ever sign a statement of faith you did not 100% agree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm just curious. My cousin invited me to join a co op she will be joining next year and has been talking to me about for a while. It sounded like a lot of fun and I was excited about it. She sent me a link to their page last night and I found that you have to join the state association first and that requires a signed statement of faith. I could maybe let slip on a couple technicalities, but there's too much in this one I don't agree with, so I won't be signing. But it makes me really sad because it would be great to be in the co op with my cousin and it's the only one of this nature I know of around here.

So would you sign it? Would it make a difference *what* you didn't agree with? Or how much? Or how relevant to schooling?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I read that "statement of faith" & I wouldn't sign it, I don't believe that religion is the know all & be all! So that alone would keep me far far away from that group.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

But for the Catholic specific co-ops here, all other co-ops here require a SOF. Now, some of them only require you sign it acknowledging that this is the perspective from which they teach - they do not require that you AGREE WITH the things in the SOF <----- that one is fine with me, personally. I can respect the beliefs of others, I just won't lie and say they are mine as well.

Definitely not a strange requirement around here.

Quoting tuffymama:

I would absolutely not do it. The only reason I would swear to something I don't believe or isn't true is to save my kids' lives. And that is a strange requirement for a co-op. There are more and probably better out there. Or start your own.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM
3 moms liked this

It plainly states in the title that they are a Christian group. Why would you be so shocked that they have statement of faith? I read it, but as I am a conservative Christian, I didn't see anything wrong with it. I would have signed it. They aren't trying to be exclusionary, but when Christians homeschool for religious reasons, these are the beliefs are very important to them. These are the reasons they homeschool. If you aren't hsing for religious reasons, this group is not for you, just move on. No need to bash.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I never sign anything I don't agree with.
With that SOF....I would have run screaming lol

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I live in the conservative Baptist bible belt - filled to the brim with very conservative homeschool co-ops. I will say that I find the OP's sof very, very, very odd. I've never encountered one like it.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

It plainly states in the title that they are a Christian group. Why would you be so shocked that they have statement of faith? I read it, but as I am a conservative Christian, I didn't see anything wrong with it. I would have signed it. They aren't trying to be exclusionary, but when Christians homeschool for religious reasons, these are the beliefs are very important to them. These are the reasons they homeschool. If you aren't hsing for religious reasons, this group is not for you, just move on. No need to bash.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

katinahat
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

No. If I deny Christ's truth before men, He will deny me before the Father. Sounds extreme, but it's something that I feel very strongly about. It's why I generally join secular groups, even though I'm a devout Christian. I rarely find folks who believe the same way doctrinally as I do, so when a statement of faith is required (more than the basic We believe in Christ, the Father, and the Holy Spirit, we believe that He died for our sins, etc. kind of issues), I can't bring myself to rightfully join.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

katinahat
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Aaaand here's where they lost me: "We reject anti-Christian tenets including but not limited to secular humanism, the general theory of evolution, one world government, government mandated sex education; government mandated parenting classes, modern feminist ideology and abortion." When you define science as anti-Christian, I can't help but vomit a little in my mouth.

Science is the discovery of God's wonders, IMO. You can't reject science because you are afraid of it. You embrace it because all you desire is greater truth. Ignorance is NOT Christian. I see Christianity as the search for truth-- it does nothing but feeds the fire of my curiosity to embrace modern science.

And rejecting parenting classes-- what are you going to do when your child has a child someday and doesn't know how to swaddle or bathe them? Ridiculous. These people seem short-sighted and willfully ignorant. Frankly, I wouldn't want to associate with them anyways.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

katinahat
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this

They aren't trying to be exclusionary? How did you type that with a straight face?

"No homosexual or co-habitating parents are eligible for membership."
"We reject anti-Christian tenets including but not limited to secular humanism, the general theory of evolution, one world government, government mandated sex education; government mandated parenting classes, modern feminist ideology and abortion." 

They are quite blatantly excluding anyone who does not agree with their doctrinal tenets. Not just people who are not Christians, but people who aren't their favorite flavor of Christian. I see that as extremely exclusionary. Can you imagine if Christ said, "All of the little children come to me, but only those who reject secular humanism, one world government, and modern ideology," ?? Exclusion of fellow Christians is never Christian, in my personal opinion. 

"
Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand."  -- Romans 14:1-4 

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I could sign one like that just requiring me to accept their beliefs. But I don't think I could sign this one even if that's all they asked. I mean I could sign it, but I wouldn't want her taught by such thinking so I wouldn't.

I'm happy with the play date and field trip group for now. Maybe some day I will look more for another or start one. She's not even 5 yet, so there's plenty of time.

Quoting jen2150:

There is a co-op around that has a statement of belief that you had to sign.  I couldn't sign it in good conscience.  I looked around and found one where you just had to sign something that said you respected their beliefs.  I am fine with that since I respect everyone's beliefs.    I also started my own as well.  We meet at the local library.  I belong to a christian co-op and since I only follow the OT(Judiasm) I don't agree with most of their beliefs.  The people there are awesome.  When my son's art teacher was doing art class she let him do a picture of Moses instead of Jesus.  I would look around for others as well.  Maybe even start your own.  I am sure there are others that feel the same way as you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I wasn't surprise there was a statement of faith. But I expected the last third of that, concerning the basic tenets of Christianity. I did not expect the rest. I am a Christian and I was appalled by it. If I were not Christian of course I wouldn't expect to be able to sign a statement of faith. If it were only that last third I could sign.

And this post wasn't meant to bash, I was curious how others responded to SOF they don't agree with.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)