Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever sign a statement of faith you did not 100% agree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm just curious. My cousin invited me to join a co op she will be joining next year and has been talking to me about for a while. It sounded like a lot of fun and I was excited about it. She sent me a link to their page last night and I found that you have to join the state association first and that requires a signed statement of faith. I could maybe let slip on a couple technicalities, but there's too much in this one I don't agree with, so I won't be signing. But it makes me really sad because it would be great to be in the co op with my cousin and it's the only one of this nature I know of around here.

So would you sign it? Would it make a difference *what* you didn't agree with? Or how much? Or how relevant to schooling?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Replies (41-50):
Beachmama34
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM

wow.  definitley couldn't sign that one myself.  Maybe you and your cousin could arrange where y'all meet up once a month or even more.  If there are things you don't believe in, have issues with, or don't want your child to participate in, then don't sign it.  It might lead to bigger issues later with the co-op friends you make or your child makes.  Don't sign it just because it might be the only one around or because you don't want to let your cousin down.   Maybe you could visit your local library and inquire about any other homeschool families they know.   No judgement on your cousin but that doctrine seems a little harsh.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh no, I'm definitely not signing it. I only wondered if I was in the minority on that or if others felt the same about not signing if you don't fully agree.

We do meet often but I expect that to get harder as the kids get older so something set and planned would have been nice. But not at the cost if signing that or having that stuff taught to my girls. We'll make other times to see them.

Quoting Beachmama34:

wow.  definitley couldn't sign that one myself.  Maybe you and your cousin could arrange where y'all meet up once a month or even more.  If there are things you don't believe in, have issues with, or don't want your child to participate in, then don't sign it.  It might lead to bigger issues later with the co-op friends you make or your child makes.  Don't sign it just because it might be the only one around or because you don't want to let your cousin down.   Maybe you could visit your local library and inquire about any other homeschool families they know.   No judgement on your cousin but that doctrine seems a little harsh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

If I didn't agree with some 'small' parts of it, I would be going and talking to the person in charge about it and go from there-- but in general I wouldn't sign something I didn't agree with.  Sometimes those little things can end up being a big deal as time goes on to me or the organization and it's just not worth it to sign something like that if I am not in agreement with it. 

That is too bad you aren't able to join in the co-op though :(

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The Bible says to let your yes be yeses be yes and your nos be no.   I wouldn't sign anything I didn't agree with.

Now that i've said that....

I think they could have worded it as... "We believe in the literal account of creation, and other theories on the origin of man, we feel, is against the teaching of the Bible."   Or something to that effect.   

However, I do feel they deserve the right to their beliefs.   Even if they feel homosexuality is wrong... even if they refute the theory of evolution... even if they believe that purple giant anteaters once roamed the earth sucking up all the dinosaurs because they were so big that dinosaurs were ants... LOL!  

But no, don't sign or get involved with a group that you disagree with their core belief system.   Not only would you be then ingrained with people you feel THAT opposite to, not only will your child be exposed to their teaching and beliefs, but you will also be lying.... at least, that is my humble opinion...

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I guess it would depend on what I disagreed with. I'm Christian so there isn't a lot that would completely set me back but some things would.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Mm, that one is a little extreme for me. LOL Especially since I have a DD from a previous marriage. I wouldn't want her to be an *exception*.

Most of the other stuff doesn't surprise me. They aren't hiding what they believe and must have a big enough pool of people that believe the same thing as to have a Co Op. The thing is, even if I feel they are wrong, it's their right to have a group ran the way they want. It wouldn't surprise me to have seen that they also reject tattoos and drinkings from the parents, too.

lucsch
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM

No, I would not compromise on this. Also, it would not be fair to everyone else who truely believes the statement of faith

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM

No I would not

OakesMama
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I could not sign a statement of faith I did not agree to

maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

No, there is no way I would sign a statement like that if I did not 100% agree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)