Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever sign a statement of faith you did not 100% agree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm just curious. My cousin invited me to join a co op she will be joining next year and has been talking to me about for a while. It sounded like a lot of fun and I was excited about it. She sent me a link to their page last night and I found that you have to join the state association first and that requires a signed statement of faith. I could maybe let slip on a couple technicalities, but there's too much in this one I don't agree with, so I won't be signing. But it makes me really sad because it would be great to be in the co op with my cousin and it's the only one of this nature I know of around here.

So would you sign it? Would it make a difference *what* you didn't agree with? Or how much? Or how relevant to schooling?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Replies (51-55):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

No I would not sign a SOF that I did not agree with and I definately wouldn't sign that one.  The whole statement seems to have a judgmental attitude to it.  Which I find strange bc I thought Christians were suppose to love and accept all people as Jesus did.  That's what my church teaches.  

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I agree they have every right to those beliefs and the right to require anyone who joins to share those beliefs. I'm not complaining about it. And no, I don't want to join them now. I'm saddened by what was "lost", not by not getting to join in, does that make sense?

Quoting KrissyKC:

The Bible says to let your yes be yeses be yes and your nos be no.   I wouldn't sign anything I didn't agree with.

Now that i've said that....

I think they could have worded it as... "We believe in the literal account of creation, and other theories on the origin of man, we feel, is against the teaching of the Bible."   Or something to that effect.   

However, I do feel they deserve the right to their beliefs.   Even if they feel homosexuality is wrong... even if they refute the theory of evolution... even if they believe that purple giant anteaters once roamed the earth sucking up all the dinosaurs because they were so big that dinosaurs were ants... LOL!  

But no, don't sign or get involved with a group that you disagree with their core belief system.   Not only would you be then ingrained with people you feel THAT opposite to, not only will your child be exposed to their teaching and beliefs, but you will also be lying.... at least, that is my humble opinion...

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

That part of it bothers me a lot. It's probably just poor wording on their part in an effort to split the whole thing up with bible references. At least I'm going to hope. But it definitely reads wrong and I would want clarification on it's meaning if that were the only part holding me back.

The other stuff wouldn't surprise me if it were something else. Maybe a church staff statement of faith or something. But for a simple co op that meets for 3 hours a week, I truly was not expecting it to go into family status. I suppose the nature of education part is fitting for a co op since the classes are parent volunteer taught. But those specifications never would have crossed my mind.

I also am a Christian, but I'm definitely not conservative. I'm sure I'm one of "those" Christians that many denominations would shake their heads at.

Quoting mem82:

Mm, that one is a little extreme for me. LOL Especially since I have a DD from a previous marriage. I wouldn't want her to be an *exception*.

Most of the other stuff doesn't surprise me. They aren't hiding what they believe and must have a big enough pool of people that believe the same thing as to have a Co Op. The thing is, even if I feel they are wrong, it's their right to have a group ran the way they want. It wouldn't surprise me to have seen that they also reject tattoos and drinkings from the parents, too.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Yes, I understand how you feel completely... :(    We lived in an active town outside a big city, however... I was babysitting constantly and homeschooling.   We just couldn't be involved in stuff because I had to be at home with the babysat kids.

Then, we moved to a small town, and we didn't have the money and the small, rural town had very little resources to be involved in much.

Finally, we moved to a decent sized city/town that has several very active homeschool groups and I'm soooo thankful.   Especially since DH is making enough now that I don't have to do daycare!!!  So I get to just focus on my own kids for a few years!!!!  It's such a blessing.  

I would be disappointed, too.   Sure hope there's a hidden group out there nearby you have yet to find or that you guys find a way to start one of your own...

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

I agree they have every right to those beliefs and the right to require anyone who joins to share those beliefs. I'm not complaining about it. And no, I don't want to join them now. I'm saddened by what was "lost", not by not getting to join in, does that make sense?

Quoting KrissyKC:

The Bible says to let your yes be yeses be yes and your nos be no.   I wouldn't sign anything I didn't agree with.

Now that i've said that....

I think they could have worded it as... "We believe in the literal account of creation, and other theories on the origin of man, we feel, is against the teaching of the Bible."   Or something to that effect.   

However, I do feel they deserve the right to their beliefs.   Even if they feel homosexuality is wrong... even if they refute the theory of evolution... even if they believe that purple giant anteaters once roamed the earth sucking up all the dinosaurs because they were so big that dinosaurs were ants... LOL!  

But no, don't sign or get involved with a group that you disagree with their core belief system.   Not only would you be then ingrained with people you feel THAT opposite to, not only will your child be exposed to their teaching and beliefs, but you will also be lying.... at least, that is my humble opinion...

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I would not sign a statement of faith unless I agreed with all of its statements.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN