Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What Should I do??? *PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi my name is Amanda I have 2 kids currently in public school (3rd and 1st grades). I would love to homeschool, but hubby and I are not 100% on it. Kids are doing GREAT in school they love it. They are both very smart and well above grade level. They have both been tested for gifted however neither of them were accepted into the program. My daughter (1st grade) is in an advanced reading class...she reads at a 4th grade level. But everything else is on grade level. They tried at the beginning of the year to do a grade skip but she was not emotionally ready for it. She is a perfectionist and put too much stress on herself so they moved her back to a first grade classroom. She gets all A's and barely has to study...with the exception of spelling. My son on the other hand is in all regular classes, has A's and B's but struggles with the daily classroom tasks. He has brought home everything from A's to F's on his tests, classwork etc. He is all over the map. I was told he is "immature" and has a hard time focusing. He gets in trouble a lot for goofing around and talking. He is a VERY smart boy. He just tested on a 6th grade level for math. Yet he failed his last math test?? I want my kids to have to best education, and I am afraid they are being held back and are bored with the stuff they are being taught. I guess I don't have any real questions here....just asking for advice on what to do in this situation. Any info or past experiences would be very helpful! Thanks Ladies!!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

theres a simple answer here amanda 'bring them home"!! homeschool them, you need to talk to your dh and get him behind homeschooling, they will get the best education that way,they dont have  to be bored, they can learn at their own pace, 

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like they would be better off homeschooled then remain in the school system.  Now the school may try to make you feel guilty about pulling them out but that's because they lose money every time a child is pulled from the system.  Try to get your husband behind you on homeschooling.  Show him some information on homeschooled children compared to public schooled children.  There are a lot of resources out there now for homeschooling familes.  They can join the YMCA, there's co-ops, there's girl and boy scouts for socialization. 

http://leavesofknowledge.blogspot.com/

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Labeling a child immature at the third grade level is silly, IMO. Most boys are just ridiculous at that age; even my brainiac ODS was a compete goofball sometimes in class back then. So your DS is not a drone, geared to sitting his butt in a chair and doing repetitive tasks? Big woo. He probably needs freedom to move and to learn at his real pace. Homeschool! And your daughter sounds like me. I literally suffered real pain, and got sick repeatedly from being forced to exist in the PS system. I had an ulcer at thirteen, but I'm not saying that will happen to her. You seem concerned and will probably take more care with her, but why force her if you don't have to? You have bright kids, and you can probably let them guide most of their own learning. Easy and fun.
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Sounds like they are failing to thrive in the school environment & that they are just killing time being there. I would bring them home. How to convince your Husband is really going to depend on his reasons against it & your ability to advocate for it effectively.

So tell us what is his concern & fears about homeschooling so we can help you with information to use to help him see how this will be in your children's best interest.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Your boy sounds perfectly normal to me! He's not immature, its just that public school was never built around what is best for a boy and his needs. It's also not designed to cater to the brightest kids. PS is ONLY for the most normal, average, typical, cookie-cutter type learner, of which only about 30% of kids are. Sadly, the other 70% of kids get labeled or fall through the cracks. Bring them home, Mama. But be prepared to change your thinking about what school looks like. For your boy, it may mean doing school under the table, or on the trampoline(just ask me how I know LOL). Good luck and have fun.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I agree with the others, bring them home. You will be able to teach an challenge them on the levels they are on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jrsmommy04
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I can't really tell you why my DH is not on-board with HS. We have talked about it here and there especially last year because my DS had  HORRIBLE year in 2nd grade. We struggled through and got a better teacher this year in 3rd. He has never really said WHY he is not on board with it. Our whole family is part if the PS system, my mom is a recently retired teacher from the school my kids attend, DH and I both went to PS here, and my MIL works at the district office as the school boards secretary. I dont know ifhe is thinking more about what people will think or what. BUT I know the most important thing is my kids education. I know that my son is NORMAL and not immature.....thought to myself how ridiculous that was when his teacher told me that....I mean come on he's an 8 yr old little boy!!! Not 18!!! I agree with you ladies who said that schools are meant for them to just sit and learn and he especially needs more then that. So my question now is what do i do next?? Say if I get my DH on board...where do I go from there? I do have a local co-op and several close friends who homeschool (one who lives 2 doors down - but her kids are all older now) How do I go about homeschooling children that arent typical on grade level. Do i need to do my own assesments? If so where do i get them?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

What do you want to do?  If you want to homeschool, then do it.  It's a great experience, so many positives in bringing them home.  If you don't want to homeschool, there are things you can do.  You will have to get annoying and mean.  You will have to schedule parent-teacher conferences often.  Call repeatedly.  I'v seen it before as a teacher.  The school will cave eventually.  They are not allowed to keep someone out of "gifted" because of immaturity.  Gifted programs are supposed to be based on IQ only.  If their IQ is above the qualifying point many schools will pull the "immaturity" crap to keep their numbers down.  However they will fold if you fight it, they have to.

IMO homeschooling would be the best option, but it is not for everyone.  If it is not for you then you can fight for your kids within the system, but it will be a long uphill battle.  If you have friends in the community, you may lose them.  It may become difficult for the kids within the school.  Teachers have a way of not masking what is going on.  They may get frustrated with your kids over what is happening behind the scenes.  

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Learn the laws for your state. Let your kids take some time off between public school & starting homeschool & during that time learn their learning styles. Look in to all the types of homeschooling to find what will work with in your state laws & with your children's learning styles (there is a chance you will have to do things different for each child).

Quoting jrsmommy04:

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I can't really tell you why my DH is not on-board with HS. We have talked about it here and there especially last year because my DS had  HORRIBLE year in 2nd grade. We struggled through and got a better teacher this year in 3rd. He has never really said WHY he is not on board with it. Our whole family is part if the PS system, my mom is a recently retired teacher from the school my kids attend, DH and I both went to PS here, and my MIL works at the district office as the school boards secretary. I dont know ifhe is thinking more about what people will think or what. BUT I know the most important thing is my kids education. I know that my son is NORMAL and not immature.....thought to myself how ridiculous that was when his teacher told me that....I mean come on he's an 8 yr old little boy!!! Not 18!!! I agree with you ladies who said that schools are meant for them to just sit and learn and he especially needs more then that. So my question now is what do i do next?? Say if I get my DH on board...where do I go from there? I do have a local co-op and several close friends who homeschool (one who lives 2 doors down - but her kids are all older now) How do I go about homeschooling children that arent typical on grade level. Do i need to do my own assesments? If so where do i get them?

oredeb
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

what usmom sugested, learn hs law, watch how your children learn and go!!!

if you take them out now, you can just work with what you have, online at library etc. but if you wait till end of school year take the summer to get to know how your kids learn, what they are interesed in, and start looking for what you want to use, have your hs friends show you what they do, ask them questions, look at what they have, join a hs group if you want or the coop, as for hsing kids that arent on grade level(none of mine are) copy off some worksheets online to see where they are in math and english, and go from there, do you want to use secular curriculum or christian curriculum or does it matter? heres different ways to homeschoool kids

Popular Methods and Philosophies:
Unit Studies
Charlotte Mason
Classical Education
Delayed Instruction
Eclectic Homeschooling
Montessori Homeschooling
Waldorf Homeschooling
Enki Homeschooling
The Moore Formula
Thomas Jefferson Education
Holistic and Alternative Homeschooling
Unschooling / Self-Directed Learning
Independent Research / Self-Directed Learning
School-at-Home / Public e-School
Distance Learning as an Umbrella/Cover School
Distance Learning for Gifted Enrichment
Cyber Schools / Online Academies

heres a site that has lots of resources on it for all ages, mostly its in order, http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/14865498/Resources?next=11#replies

as far as assessments that might have to do with your hs law so check it out! ask your hs friends!!!

Quoting jrsmommy04:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN