Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teachers Unions plans for homeschool families.

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 42 Replies

http://www.examiner.com/article/teachers-unions-plan-to-crush-parent-led-schooling

I saw this article posted elsewhere. Just thought I would share.

I can't make it clicky even tho I tried to follow the directions. I am not even getting the hyperlink to highlight. Sorry

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM
5 moms liked this

http://www.examiner.com/article/teachers-unions-plan-to-crush-parent-led-schooling

I'll make it clicky for you but it is almost laughable when you read it. Sounds like a bunch of scare mongering and propaganda (though they do throw around the word propaganda a lot themselves).

I was a public school teacher for years, and many of my friends are still public school teachers and members of the teachers union (as I was) here in California, and the things they are saying about teachers unions and California are just 100% untrue. Someone pulled this out of their ass.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM
5 moms liked this

I only read to "plan to crush parent-led schooling by cracking down on "accountability" and "intolerance," and passing a plethora of rules and regulations that would render such schooling practically powerless."

That was enough for me to know they are full of

s-h-!-t because unions don't have government law making or law inforcing power.

Maggiemom got it right this is fear mongering!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I am new to this whole homeschooling thing but I thought it sounded off. And thanks for making it clicky. I was reading between windows trying figure it out.

Thank you both.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM
5 moms liked this

It doesn't surprise me that the teachers unions are getting all up in arms against homeschooling. If more & more people homeschool there will be less & less need for them because there will be less & less need for schools & teachers. We are a threat to their livelihoods not to mention that a lot of us are doing it better then the schools are.

Quoting mamamedic69:

I am new to this whole homeschooling thing but I thought it sounded off. And thanks for making it clicky. I was reading between windows trying figure it out.

Thank you both.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Reminds me of a statement issued by a union for school administrators many yrs ago. They said that since they couldn't argue with the studies that proof that homeschooling provides well rounded education and socialization, that it was their responsibility to ensure that all children ate a nutritious lunch. Therefore they recommended that stated outlaw homeschooling due to federal laws that require public schools to provide nutritious lunches.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM
4 moms liked this

Crazy! if we are better at educating our kids I think we can handle lunch.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Reminds me of a stated issued by a union for school administrators many yrs ago. They said that since they couldn't argue with the studies that proof that homeschooling provides well rounded education and socialization, that it was their responsibility to ensure that all children ate a nutritious lunch. Therefore they recommended that stated outlaw homeschooling due to federal laws that require public schools to provide nutritious lunches.

noraa21
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM
4 moms liked this

Here's what I would like to know if our public schools are so great, why do most teachers send their own children to private christian schools or homeschool them, at least in our area it seems to be that way.  When my son was in PS he had 4 teacher that did this, I figured that should tell me something there.

katinahat
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

This seems like a massive qualitative rant. They didn't mention a single piece of actual legislation. Just said "a plethora of rules and regulations". Oh, thank you for those exact specifications. You were public schooled, then?

I kid!

(Not you, OP. Referring to the author ;) )

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM
4 moms liked this
The principal of our high school was homeschooled thru high school. Guess what? His wife homeschools their 4 kids!!

Quoting noraa21:

Here's what I would like to know if our public schools are so great, why do most teachers send their own children to private christian schools or homeschool them, at least in our area it seems to be that way.  When my son was in PS he had 4 teacher that did this, I figured that should tell me something there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My dh is a public school principal, and we homeschool our youngest. Our eldest went to a private school all the way through. The two middle ones graduated from our local public high school---it is literally across the street from our subdivision! I'm not against public school at all, at least not in theory and for the fact it pays our bills,  but I think many public school teachers feel threatened by the burgeoning homeschooling movement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN