Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teachers Unions plans for homeschool families.

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.examiner.com/article/teachers-unions-plan-to-crush-parent-led-schooling

I saw this article posted elsewhere. Just thought I would share.

I can't make it clicky even tho I tried to follow the directions. I am not even getting the hyperlink to highlight. Sorry

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Teachers are now the biggest influx into the home school venue.  Mothers (even teachers)  do not like what has happened to the P.S..    So Unions do not always represent their members.  Home School Legal Defense Association  writes the following:

"Despite much resistance from outside the homeschool movement, whether from teachers unions, politicians, school administrators, judges, social service workers, or even family members, over the past few decades homeschoolers have slowly but surely won acceptance as a mainstream education alternative. This has been due in part to the commissioning of research which demonstrates the academic success of the average homeschooler."  http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp

HSLDA also writes this:

But there is a third wave coming. And I doubt that many of you have any idea of the intensity and breadth of the elitist movement that is taking dead aim at our movement.

Here is their assertion. Christian homeschooling parents are effectively transmitting values to their children that the elitists believe are dangerous to the well-being of both these very children and society as a whole.

What are those values? Homosexuality is a sin. Men should be the leaders of their families. Jesus is the only way to God. All other religions are false.

I could go on. But what the elitists really mean is the set of religious beliefs that they label as fundamentalist Christianity.

Kimberly A. Yuracko, a professor from the prestigious Northwestern University School of Law, wrote an article for the California Law Review claiming that there are legal and constitutional limits on the ability of homeschooling parents “to teach their children idiosyncratic and illiberal beliefs and values.” She contends that there must be new legal approaches to mandate government control of the educational choices for those children whose “parents want to teach against the enlightenment.”1 

Read full Article here  http://www.hslda.org/courtreport/V26N6/V26N601.asp

Kat0038
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM

The thing is more and more liberals are choosing homeschooling or private schools over ps. My brother is a good example. He is a liberal who feels as though the ps system is failing our country and is sending his children to a private school. 

Quoting romacox:

Teachers are now the biggest influx into the home school venue.  Mothers (even teachers)  do not like what has happened to the P.S..    So Unions do not always represent their members.  Home School Legal Defense Association  writes the following:

"Despite much resistance from outside the homeschool movement, whether from teachers unions, politicians, school administrators, judges, social service workers, or even family members, over the past few decades homeschoolers have slowly but surely won acceptance as a mainstream education alternative. This has been due in part to the commissioning of research which demonstrates the academic success of the average homeschooler."  http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp

HSLDA also writes this:

But there is a third wave coming. And I doubt that many of you have any idea of the intensity and breadth of the elitist movement that is taking dead aim at our movement.

Here is their assertion. Christian homeschooling parents are effectively transmitting values to their children that the elitists believe are dangerous to the well-being of both these very children and society as a whole.

What are those values? Homosexuality is a sin. Men should be the leaders of their families. Jesus is the only way to God. All other religions are false.

I could go on. But what the elitists really mean is the set of religious beliefs that they label as fundamentalist Christianity.

Kimberly A. Yuracko, a professor from the prestigious Northwestern University School of Law, wrote an article for the California Law Review claiming that there are legal and constitutional limits on the ability of homeschooling parents “to teach their children idiosyncratic and illiberal beliefs and values.” She contends that there must be new legal approaches to mandate government control of the educational choices for those children whose “parents want to teach against the enlightenment.”1 

Read full Article here  http://www.hslda.org/courtreport/V26N6/V26N601.asp

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

As a former teacher myself, bull crap.  Three of the ladies in my homeschooling co-op are former teachers as well.  Plus in our state the teacher's union "backs" the Republican nominees for the local/state positions.  Our local unions are against the cyber-schools and don't particularly like homsechooling, but they have their hands full with the legislation happening inside the schools.  They are far too busy fighting the testing laws to be coming after the homeschoolers.  And if they "controlled" the legislators as much as this author thinks they do, the tests would be off the books by now. 

Jenn8604
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Let's start with the stupid leftist. We think you should have to tolerate us, but we shouldn't tolerate you. Also we have freedoms here which means we have freedom to educate our children in any manner we see fit. You don't see them attacking the Nazi skin heads do you? NO!!!! Go bug actual racists and leave those that want their kids to actually learn alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this

I read this on FB a few days ago, and I felt the same as some of you. It sounds like some extremist, alarmist propaganda.(and I've been known to be a bit conspiracy theorist-y)  I do believe the teachers unions have tremendous power, but this article was just too poorly written to take seriously.  It was almost embarrasing to think that this was written for and by homeschooling proponents. How in the world is the general population supposed to take us seriously after reading things like this? It makes us look like a bunch radical fringe nutjobs.

oredeb
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

hahahahha

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Reminds me of a statement issued by a union for school administrators many yrs ago. They said that since they couldn't argue with the studies that proof that homeschooling provides well rounded education and socialization, that it was their responsibility to ensure that all children ate a nutritious lunch. Therefore they recommended that stated outlaw homeschooling due to federal laws that require public schools to provide nutritious lunches.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Smh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Home school is not about left, right, teachers, parents, black, white, democrat,  republican, ext.  Home school is about families supporting each other in doing what is best for our childrenTeachers are now the biggest influx into the home school venue.  Mothers (even teachers)  do not like what has happened to the P.S..    So Unions do not always represent their members.

Robert P Hillmann is a graduate of Loyola University of Chicago, with a bachelor’s degree in history.  He wrote this: 

In seventeenth and eighteenth century theory of democracy it was the individual that was considered to be the base unit of society and therefore it was individual rights that were paramount in documents like the U.S. Constitution…..Follett went on to state that “But there is no such thing as the ‘individual’ …(54) and since there was no such thing as the individual, it would naturally follow there should be no such thing as individual rights.(55)

The concept of individual rights had many flaws according to Follett’s political philosophy, not least of which was the fact that they believed that people were too stupid to make informed decisions. …The New State she proclaimed that, “Ballot-box democracy is what this book is written to oppose.” (57)

The solution to this problem, according to Follett, was to eliminate the  individual as the basic unit of society and replace him with a group organizations (57) Group rights would now take the place of individual rights.  Under the old order, man was endowed with certain God given rights—under the new system the only rights that man had were those that the group would bestow upon him. (59)

It makes it possible for a very small number of people to control a very large number of groups (divide and conquer) .

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

P.S. we rockall homeschoolers

COmtnmomma
by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 10:21 PM

http://www.standardnewswire.com/news/201382795.html

The above is a reference to court action involving the CA Teachers Association and comments they made against homeschooling.  It is undated but had to have occurred around or before 2011.  The words the Association used are on track with the Examiner's article...afraid it is not propaganda or scare mongering.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)