Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers Unions plans for homeschool families.

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.examiner.com/article/teachers-unions-plan-to-crush-parent-led-schooling

I saw this article posted elsewhere. Just thought I would share.

I can't make it clicky even tho I tried to follow the directions. I am not even getting the hyperlink to highlight. Sorry

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
autodidact
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/01/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction/

In the past, English teachers used to preach that one should never start a sentence with conjunctions like and or but. Does this rule still apply today?

Not entirely. It is already acceptable to start sentences with such conjunctions. Some authorities, in fact, even defend that for some cases conjunctions will do a better job than more formal constructions. Here is a quotation from Ernest Gowers addressing the usage of and on the beginning of sentences:

That it is a solecism to begin a sentence with and is a faintly lingering superstition. The OED gives examples ranging from the 10th to the 19th c.; the Bible is full of them.

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Well, since most English professors and curriculum still teach it is wrong I feel my point still stands as do my other points. *shrug* We can argue it all day. It still doesn't erase the fact that you were being obnoxious about what amounted to a typo on a casual social site. Don't waste time with that stuff. Come and debate the point of the original post.

I happen to lean Left on a moderate platform and am not exactly thrilled with what the article had to say.

Quoting autodidact:

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/01/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction/

In the past, English teachers used to preach that one should never start a sentence with conjunctions like and or but. Does this rule still apply today?

Not entirely. It is already acceptable to start sentences with such conjunctions. Some authorities, in fact, even defend that for some cases conjunctions will do a better job than more formal constructions. Here is a quotation from Ernest Gowers addressing the usage of and on the beginning of sentences:

That it is a solecism to begin a sentence with and is a faintly lingering superstition. The OED gives examples ranging from the 10th to the 19th c.; the Bible is full of them.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I put up the article for a friendly debate as I am new to homeschooling and wanted information from other homeschooling moms. If you're taking it as I'm bashing someone or a particular group of people then that's on you.

Quoting autodidact:

So I suppose the leftist bashing will continue apace.

Quoting mamamedic69:

http://www.examiner.com/article/teachers-unions-plan-to-crush-parent-led-schooling

I can't make it clicky even tho I tried to follow the directions. I am not even getting the hyperlink to highlight. Sorry

autodidact
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

other posters are, and I was giving information. 

Quoting mamamedic69:

I put up the article for a friendly debate as I am new to homeschooling and wanted information from other homeschooling moms. If you're taking it as I'm bashing someone or a particular group of people then that's on you.

Quoting autodidact:

So I suppose the leftist bashing will continue apace.

Quoting mamamedic69:

autodidact
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll go with Oxford over most English professors. 

No, typing then where than is appropriate isn't a typo. 

And I AM debating the original point. 

Quoting mem82:

Well, since most English professors and curriculum still teach it is wrong I feel my point still stands as do my other points. *shrug* We can argue it all day. It still doesn't erase the fact that you were being obnoxious about what amounted to a typo on a casual social site. Don't waste time with that stuff. Come and debate the point of the original post.

I happen to lean Left on a moderate platform and am not exactly thrilled with what the article had to say.

Quoting autodidact:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Hey, go ahead and point out other where other people slip up and ignore your own mistakes. That's cool. 8) I realize you are one of those people who like to cause drama so I'm not going to feed the beast anymore. We are all very impressed with you and your semi correct grammar and indignant responses to the conservatives.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting autodidact:

autodidact
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Quoting mem82:

Hey, go ahead and point out other where other people slip up and ignore your own mistakes. That's cool. 8) I realize you are one of those people who like to cause drama so I'm not going to feed the beast anymore. We are all very impressed with you and your semi correct grammar and indignant responses to the conservatives.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting autodidact:

autodidact
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, this group is so free of double standards. eye rolling

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Quoting autodidact:

Yeah, this group is so free of double standards. eye rolling

What in the world are you so upset about?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
4 moms liked this

I have a major problem finding any article credible when they are clearly written by right wing extremists. As a democratic Homeschooler, I have an issue with 99% of that article. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)