Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone use AoPS for upper math?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 3 Replies

We are using CLE for elementary, but I've been researching the Art of Problem Solving as a possibility for Pre-Algebra and up. Anyone use it and have comments?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I'm thinking about switching to Math U See, but I am also thinking about trying Saxon again.   We struggled with it when the kids were young, but I'd be willing to try it again... especially for high school level maths when we get there.    It's a very intense math.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Great for gifted and/or motivated learners. Not great for children who do not like a discovery approach. In AOPS, students are asked to find the answers first, THEN they are walked through the *how*, *why*, and *how to*.

It is very conceptual and I'm not sure how well a child would do with it coming from a very traditional program.

Also, their prealgebra pretest is deceptively easy. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lucsch
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Yes, I saw that pre-test! I thought---well, my 4th grader knows all of that. LOL!

Since the math is relatively inexpensive, I may just buy it anyway. I did read that they ask the child to try to to the problems first. Thinking back to my schooling, that would have blown my mind. Interesting concept.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Great for gifted and/or motivated learners. Not great for children who do not like a discovery approach. In AOPS, students are asked to find the answers first, THEN they are walked through the *how*, *why*, and *how to*.

It is very conceptual and I'm not sure how well a child would do with it coming from a very traditional program.

Also, their prealgebra pretest is deceptively easy. Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)