Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Science Fair tomorrow *Updated with pictures

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:03 AM
  • 12 Replies
2 moms liked this

Our homeschool group is having our first annual (hopefully) science fair tomorrow afternoon.  We've combined it with our speech class and I'm hoping for a decent turnout.  So far I've only heard from two other families, but it's a start.

My son put together one of those Smart Robots and is giving a short speech on gravity, which is how this thing moves.  It's pretty cool.  My daughters had a couple of projects in mind but they did not pan out, but they were able to come up with some neat ideas.  My oldest daughter made two different bath salts and compared them.  She did the scientific method and her hypothesis was wrong but that's okay.  She's doing her speech on epsom salts.  My youngest did this: http://www.education.com/science-fair/article/ghost-in-tube/  It turned out really neat.  She's going to talk about how clouds form.

Have you done a science fair? What were your children's projects?

The kids had a blast! There were 10 kids giving presentations.  We heard about electricity, magnets, ozone bacteria and water, handwashing, mold, water/air pressure plus my three's topics. Here are some pictures from the Science Fair:

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

That is a great idea!  We have an art/music fair each year, maybe we could set up a science/history fair next year! 

oredeb
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

neat kristin!!! pictures pictures!!!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM

How awesome! 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM

That sounds neat! More details?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That is a great idea!  We have an art/music fair each year, maybe we could set up a science/history fair next year! 

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM

That's great!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM

The kids set up their best art pieces in the lobby into the community arts center auditorium.  They have pedestals draped in cloth and real "art display" lights.  The whole nine yards.  Then we have a talent show in the auditorium.  Some play musical instruments, some sing, some dance, and some put on short scenes from plays to show their progress in their music and art classes.  We can take pictures and recordings to put in their portfolios.  They even have an intermission where they serve sparkling grape juice and cookies in the lobby so the kids can show off their art work.

There are somewhere around 70 families involved (It's nearly an hour from our house). 

Quoting Pukalani79:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Those are great pictures!  I'll bet those kids are so proud of themselves!  :-)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Great pics! Good job everyone!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I love it!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The kids set up their best art pieces in the lobby into the community arts center auditorium.  They have pedestals draped in cloth and real "art display" lights.  The whole nine yards.  Then we have a talent show in the auditorium.  Some play musical instruments, some sing, some dance, and some put on short scenes from plays to show their progress in their music and art classes.  We can take pictures and recordings to put in their portfolios.  They even have an intermission where they serve sparkling grape juice and cookies in the lobby so the kids can show off their art work.

There are somewhere around 70 families involved (It's nearly an hour from our house). 

Quoting Pukalani79:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM
That's really great! So fun. I can't wait for LO to be old enough for that kind of thing (says the mother who gets misty over buying a bigger size of anything for her boy).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN