Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Foreign Language?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM
  • 15 Replies

Do you teach a foreign language to your kids?  What do you teach and do you have any curriculum that you use and love?

I have some Learn Spanish CD's that my husband purchased years ago that I figured I would use, but I haven't gotten around to go through them enough myself to see how to use them.  I was talking to another mom who said her kids do Latin and I thought that sounded like a good idea since that is the base for many other languages.  I also have thought about sign language since I have some books on that and have taken classes myself (not enough to be fluent, just a general idea of it).  

I'd love to hear how you are approaching a forgein language wth your kids!

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yeah we teach them ASL with Signing Time videos and books we have. We also teach Latin American Spanish with the Rosetta Stone for the older children.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

We are planning to use Lightning fast Spanish next year for my 1st and 3rd graders:

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-fast-Spanish-Kids-Families-Spanish/dp/1463742541/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=86WE6ZJY2MN5&coliid=I188MS1GUFFECO

My boys asked to learn Spanish.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I just saw that a local homeschool co-op has Latin, but I'm not interested in it for my kids just yet. It does interest me tho. As would teaching them Spanish. By high school, I believe it is required in my state to have 2+ yrs of a foreign language. 

DesireMM
by Desire' on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Right now instead of teaching a second language I am teaching them Braille. My middle daughter is blind and I want my other children learning Braille before a second language. Once they know the letters and contractions I will let them choose which language they want. My DS already told me he wants to learn Japanese.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Our primary focus for second language is ASL. We use some signing time and just me teaching and modeling.

For Spanish we are using little pim right now. I'm going to start Salsa her K year.

For Latin we use Song School Latin. We haven't been putting too much focus on this one yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostInLove2002
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM

We're doing Switched on Schoolhouse this year and I opted for the spanish software. I'm excited. :)

LostInLove2002
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I see a lot of you are teaching Latin. Can I ask why?
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Latin is a fantastic basis for understanding other languages (especially the Romance Languages) - as well as understanding and deciphering English vocabulary. 

We have Rosetta Stone spanish but it is NOT working lately. Like literally not loading past the 2nd screen. I'm going to have to call them next week. It's super irritating for something that was so expensive, which my children do enjoy, to just not work. :(

I have a minor in Spanish and studied it for 10 years (7th grade - college). I'm not fluent but only for lack of practice. I can converse and understand a lot of what is said to me. So we work on Spanish. Eventually I'd like them to learn more though. Maybe Latin. I'd love if our co-op offerred Latin.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Most English words are derived from Latin.  It's true if you learn Latin you are able to have a stronger vocabulary.

Quoting LostInLove2002:

I see a lot of you are teaching Latin. Can I ask why?

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM

My children are learning Japanese at a school they go to once a week.  My husband who knows the language helps them with their school work more while I'm still working on the vocabulary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)