Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Should we protect ourselves with HSLDA.org

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Everyone,

I went to my first Co-Op yesterday. It looks like it could be a good match. I still have several appointments throughout the month for more CO-OP and umbrellas which in my state of Tenn is mandatory for homeschool.

In my search for the Umbrella school there was a suggestion made that I should join the Homeschool Legal defense Association.

Is anyone else familiar with this site. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I am married however I feel that I have made this journey on my own. When I ask him for encouragement his reply is you are the only one that can do this.

Your thoughts on the comment.

It's like being a single mother without the stress of the overhead it takes to pay the mortgage but I am ready to embark on my own career is there any mother out there that have accomplished this and if so any advice would be great.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Same here

Quoting mem82:

My hubby is basically supportive but works too much to help.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I especially loved it a few years ago when they told millions that California had outlawed HS....all because a family court judge, in a custody dispute, said something negative about that one family.....like we are all too stupid to realize family court judges don't actually MAKE laws...lol...

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I wouldn't touch HSLDA with a 10 ft pole. They have a history of pushing for legislation that actually restricts homeschooling for any reason other than religious. They also have a history of flat out lying,such as representing themselves as a governing body of all US homeschoolers to the Coast Guard. They are also well known for refusing to represent long time members who do not fit their ideal homeschooling family. They also refuse to help long time members if the homeschooling issue has to do with a disagreement between parents such as during a divorce or custody dispute.

HSLDA:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/102299.htm 

http://hsislegal.com/

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/172/ma_clmn_tch.html

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/164/ja_clmn_tch.html

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/185/sotch.html

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I'm not a member because like others said, I don't see the reason for it. My next door neighbor however, is a member, but she and her husband tend to be a lot more pessimistic about the government's infringements on our rights than my DH and I are. :) So, I guess it's just up to you. I don't feel threatened by my state or school board when it comes to homeschooling.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I am not a member but if I felt I needed it I would join the Texas homeschool coalition instead of them because 1. It is only for Texas homeschoolers so they know the laws very well for here & 2. they are located Right here in the city I live in.

energygirl
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mem82:

I wouldn't join HSLDA until I had an issue, honestly.

the thing with HSLDA is you cannot join after an issue is raised...you have to already be a member.  Basically it is like an insurance policy......you will most likely never need it...but if a nosey neighbor....or a new superintendent ...or anyone made any kind of accusation (like saying you aren't really teaching...or your kids are not working during what they think is school hours etc.) then HSLDA will cover every court cost including providing a lawyer in your defense. Even though you are most likely innocent in any charge....the court cost and time would sure not be fun...... It is unlikely that you would ever need their assistance..but for $100 per year per family....to me it makes sense.  Since our state requires that you begin homeschooling by age 7...we are going to join this fall when our oldest turns 7.  Homeschool laws can change at any time, and HSLDA also stays current on laws and would let you know if anything changed in your state....  I understand why some folks may not join (save money or feel it is not needed) but to me it is a back up insurance plan.  I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Their website is a good source of info (and they have books with examples of law cases they have taken on and won...you can probably get the books through your library) but I have also read a lot of books on homeschooling in general...and many of them have a chapter on HSLDA and recommend it.  I do not think the government and new policies that come out each year are much in favor of homeschooling families so I like knowing that HSLDA has my back...

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

For myself, personally, I don't actually feel the HSLDA works towards helping all homeschooling families so I would never join. There are other smaller organizations that are better suited with my beliefs. Luckily, I live in a very popular homeschooling area. The district doesn't give anyone issues. 8)

Quoting energygirl:

Quoting mem82:

the thing with HSLDA is you cannot join after an issue is raised...you have to already be a member.  Basically it is like an insurance policy......you will most likely never need it...but if a nosey neighbor....or a new superintendent ...or anyone made any kind of accusation (like saying you aren't really teaching...or your kids are not working during what they think is school hours etc.) then HSLDA will cover every court cost including providing a lawyer in your defense. Even though you are most likely innocent in any charge....the court cost and time would sure not be fun...... It is unlikely that you would ever need their assistance..but for $100 per year per family....to me it makes sense.  Since our state requires that you begin homeschooling by age 7...we are going to join this fall when our oldest turns 7.  Homeschool laws can change at any time, and HSLDA also stays current on laws and would let you know if anything changed in your state....  I understand why some folks may not join (save money or feel it is not needed) but to me it is a back up insurance plan.  I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Their website is a good source of info (and they have books with examples of law cases they have taken on and won...you can probably get the books through your library) but I have also read a lot of books on homeschooling in general...and many of them have a chapter on HSLDA and recommend it.  I do not think the government and new policies that come out each year are much in favor of homeschooling families so I like knowing that HSLDA has my back...

energygirl
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

that is great that you have other options in your area to turn to!  There are a handful of homeschoolers here...but not very many...and not many resources to turn to.  We are rural and the schools around here are hurting for money...so everyone that homeschools is in a way keeping the public school from getting money for that student etc.   I guess I can be a worrier...and to me it gives peace of mind...and since my family is 9 hours away.....if we ever did have to go to court...we would have to scrape up money we don't have....and additional money for childcare etc...it would be a mess...  glad you have a good support system around you....wish I did!

ripemango
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM

never felt the need to be a part of HSLDA.org

To be fair to your husband, we are a part of a liberal homeschooling group (meaning the ultra-conservative Christian families do not join our group). The only husband who is a part of their child's HSing is mine. He is the only father that has ever shown up to HSing events. I realize this may be a factor involving work scheduling, but it is how it is. HSing is seen and regarded as work done by the mother. We were somewhat surprised. We thought there would be at least 1 other HSing dad out there.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Quoting energygirl:

Quoting mem82:

HSLDA had to change their description to being only an advocacy group because in many states prepaid legal services/ insurance is not legal.  Are you even certain that that it is even legal for them to represent members in your state. That doesn't even mean that they have lawyers licensed to practice law in your state.

ETA: You might also want to research the connections that the authors of those books have with HSLDA before giving their opinion much credit.

Momof697
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I would not do it until I need it. But I am a member of a smaller state one. Hslda is a a national one.  The state one can give you advice but they are not your lawyer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN