Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Should we protect ourselves with HSLDA.org

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Everyone,

I went to my first Co-Op yesterday. It looks like it could be a good match. I still have several appointments throughout the month for more CO-OP and umbrellas which in my state of Tenn is mandatory for homeschool.

In my search for the Umbrella school there was a suggestion made that I should join the Homeschool Legal defense Association.

Is anyone else familiar with this site. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I am married however I feel that I have made this journey on my own. When I ask him for encouragement his reply is you are the only one that can do this.

Your thoughts on the comment.

It's like being a single mother without the stress of the overhead it takes to pay the mortgage but I am ready to embark on my own career is there any mother out there that have accomplished this and if so any advice would be great.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM

It can be tough living without a support system. My mom is close, at least, but we're the 'monied' branch of the family and we don't have much! LOL I hope we never have issues but we follow all the laws so I think we'll be fine.

Peace of mind can be priceless!

A lot of the other organizations are statewide or national so check around if you want. 8)

Quoting energygirl:

that is great that you have other options in your area to turn to!  There are a handful of homeschoolers here...but not very many...and not many resources to turn to.  We are rural and the schools around here are hurting for money...so everyone that homeschools is in a way keeping the public school from getting money for that student etc.   I guess I can be a worrier...and to me it gives peace of mind...and since my family is 9 hours away.....if we ever did have to go to court...we would have to scrape up money we don't have....and additional money for childcare etc...it would be a mess...  glad you have a good support system around you....wish I did!

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting energygirl:

wow...guess I was way out of line...sorry folks..won't mention it again here

Once again I suggest you find out if it is even legal for them to represent you in your state and whether or not they have anyone licensed to practice in your state. You seem so worried about what might happen in the very off chance that someone launched a complaint and the complaint was taken seriously. Wouldn't you hate to find out you wasted all that money?

energygirl
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM

from their website it states that they cover legal costs (even in states where they are not liscensed...they then pay for a laywer etc. as well)

from the HSLDA website: http://www.hslda.org/about/default.asp  here is the quote cut and pasted below:

After HSLDA undertakes representation, there are no further charges of any kind for members when defending their right to homeschool against government officials. HSLDA pays in full all attorney fees (including those for local attorneys hired to appear with us in any state courts where HSLDA attorneys are not licensed to practice law), expert witness fees, court transcript costs, travel expenses, and all other court costs permissible by state law for us to pay. There are no additional fees or hidden costs.

also here is another quote from the same page tthat explains again they they cover representation..but only if you sign up before an incident....:

• We correspond on your behalf with government officials who are confused about your state’s homeschool requirements or are outright challenging your right to homeschool.
  • If your homeschooling-related situation winds up in court, HSLDA provides full representation at every stage of legal proceedings.

Often, it is HSLDA’s first-response advice and correspondence that prevent a situation from escalating into a full-blown legal problem down the road. A family may consider it extremely unlikely that they will run afoul of a government official, but if initial confusion or misunderstanding is not properly handled, it can quickly spiral into serious legal trouble. Unfortunately, HSLDA generally cannot accept as members families who are already involved in an open CPS investigation or other legal conflict.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting energygirl:

from their website it states that they cover legal costs (even in states where they are not liscensed...they then pay for a laywer etc. as well)

from the HSLDA website: http://www.hslda.org/about/default.asp  here is the quote cut and pasted below:

After HSLDA undertakes representation, there are no further charges of any kind for members when defending their right to homeschool against government officials. HSLDA pays in full all attorney fees (including those for local attorneys hired to appear with us in any state courts where HSLDA attorneys are not licensed to practice law), expert witness fees, court transcript costs, travel expenses, and all other court costs permissible by state law for us to pay. There are no additional fees or hidden costs.

also here is another quote from the same page tthat explains again they they cover representation..but only if you sign up before an incident....:

• We correspond on your behalf with government officials who are confused about your state’s homeschool requirements or are outright challenging your right to homeschool.
  • If your homeschooling-related situation winds up in court, HSLDA provides full representation at every stage of legal proceedings.

Often, it is HSLDA’s first-response advice and correspondence that prevent a situation from escalating into a full-blown legal problem down the road. A family may consider it extremely unlikely that they will run afoul of a government official, but if initial confusion or misunderstanding is not properly handled, it can quickly spiral into serious legal trouble. Unfortunately, HSLDA generally cannot accept as members families who are already involved in an open CPS investigation or other legal conflict.

Just wanted to point out that I am not foolishly jumping the gun...but have done my research on it as well.....I do wish I had a local body to lean on that but since I do not......I do not feel this is a waste of money.  Hope I never have to find out.

That is very new, because in the past there have been many accounts of members who did not get representation because there was no lawyer affiliated with HDLDA in their state. Also, as I have already said, such a "pre-paid" arrangment for legal fees is not even legal in many states.

I strongly suggest you look into the history and reputation of HSLDA. 

HSLDA:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/102299.htm 

http://hsislegal.com/ 

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/172/ma_clmn_tch.html 

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/164/ja_clmn_tch.html 

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/185/sotch.html

energygirl
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM

thanks for posting those links...I just read the first two....praying for discernment on if those articles are just a couple folks opinions..or if they merit attention. I first heard of HSLDA on a homeschool heartbeat radio broadcast a few years back (before our kids were school age).  I know that when I go to the Indiana Association of Home Educators website...I get no reply from my regional contacts (not sure if it is a couple no longer doing it...or if their emails have changed.....)   just trying to find resources in my state. We live on the IN OH border but since we are in IN I am trying to find groups that are credible for reliable information. I know there are no co-ops near by either.   

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM
About the schools needing money...hsers actually help the schools financially. Taxes are still paid whether the kids goes to school or not, so that money can get put toward other kids or whatever in the budget.

Quoting energygirl:

that is great that you have other options in your area to turn to!  There are a handful of homeschoolers here...but not very many...and not many resources to turn to.  We are rural and the schools around here are hurting for money...so everyone that homeschools is in a way keeping the public school from getting money for that student etc.   I guess I can be a worrier...and to me it gives peace of mind...and since my family is 9 hours away.....if we ever did have to go to court...we would have to scrape up money we don't have....and additional money for childcare etc...it would be a mess...  glad you have a good support system around you....wish I did!

wunderwifey
by on May. 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Taxes are still paid but the schools loose funding for the number of students, high standardized test scores and special ed assistance if you pull a student who was in either of those last 2 categories.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

About the schools needing money...hsers actually help the schools financially. Taxes are still paid whether the kids goes to school or not, so that money can get put toward other kids or whatever in the budget.

Quoting energygirl:

Jlee4249
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I was confused about Tennessee requiring you to sign up w/a co-op or umbrella. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you or if you misunderstood someone else. Go ahead & check that same website for the HSLDA & look up TN, you could notify your local school board & homeschool yourself with your own books and whatnot, so a co-op and/or umbrella school is not required, just helpful.
energygirl
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM
3 moms liked this

after reading some posts in another group, we have decided to go ahead and do HSLDA.  Some of those women had first hand experience with them and it was good.  I know not everyone here is "all for them" but for us, since we back their religious statements etc. and believe the information on their site, as well as the library resource books that recommend joining it.....we feel it is a good fit for our family.  Less than $9 a month makes sense to us.  To each their own.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Quoting Sebastian662:

Hello Everyone,

I went to my first Co-Op yesterday. It looks like it could be a good match. I still have several appointments throughout the month for more CO-OP and umbrellas which in my state of Tenn is mandatory for homeschool.

In my search for the Umbrella school there was a suggestion made that I should join the Homeschool Legal defense Association.

Is anyone else familiar with this site. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I am married however I feel that I have made this journey on my own. When I ask him for encouragement his reply is you are the only one that can do this.

Your thoughts on the comment.

It's like being a single mother without the stress of the overhead it takes to pay the mortgage but I am ready to embark on my own career is there any mother out there that have accomplished this and if so any advice would be great.

No, a co-op or umbrella school is NOT mandatory for homeschooling in TN. A co-op or umbrella school are only required if you choose to school at home with a catagory III school program instead of homeschooling.

You want to look at the homeschool section of the law instead of the school section:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blTN.htm#.UZfuqbXYc-I

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)