Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Should we protect ourselves with HSLDA.org

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Everyone,

I went to my first Co-Op yesterday. It looks like it could be a good match. I still have several appointments throughout the month for more CO-OP and umbrellas which in my state of Tenn is mandatory for homeschool.

In my search for the Umbrella school there was a suggestion made that I should join the Homeschool Legal defense Association.

Is anyone else familiar with this site. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I am married however I feel that I have made this journey on my own. When I ask him for encouragement his reply is you are the only one that can do this.

Your thoughts on the comment.

It's like being a single mother without the stress of the overhead it takes to pay the mortgage but I am ready to embark on my own career is there any mother out there that have accomplished this and if so any advice would be great.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Replies (31-37):
IntlMom12
by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a member of the HSLDA and can't recommend it enough. For those saying they wouldn't join until they had a problem, unfortunately that may be TOO late. In this political stage we are in, I feel it is VERY important to have the HSLDA in my corner. Also, it is much more than just legal services. They have good information on their website that will help you along the path that is available to members only. We actually just became lifetime members because our boys are only in 1st and Pre-K and I plan to homeschool through high school.

energygirl
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting IntlMom12:

I am a member of the HSLDA and can't recommend it enough. For those saying they wouldn't join until they had a problem, unfortunately that may be TOO late. In this political stage we are in, I feel it is VERY important to have the HSLDA in my corner. Also, it is much more than just legal services. They have good information on their website that will help you along the path that is available to members only. We actually just became lifetime members because our boys are only in 1st and Pre-K and I plan to homeschool through high school.

we are trying to decide if we should do the lifetime membership or yearly as well..and also plan on homeschooling all the way through :)
IntlMom12
by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I would say that if you can afford the lifetime right now, then do it. In the long run you will save a LOT of money. We used our tax refund to get the lifetime. :-)

Quoting energygirl:

Quoting IntlMom12:

we are trying to decide if we should do the lifetime membership or yearly as well..and also plan on homeschooling all the way through :)

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

diane125
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

How much is the lifetime? I still haven't decided if I will be homeschooling, but if I do, I plan on joining HSDLA. They were recommended to me by a homeschooling mom in my area who has used their services. I live in NY which is not friendly to homeschool and the school district tried intimidating her at first. But with the help of HSDLA, it was resolved quickly and the district has never bothered her since.

Quoting IntlMom12:

I would say that if you can afford the lifetime right now, then do it. In the long run you will save a LOT of money. We used our tax refund to get the lifetime. :-)

Quoting energygirl:

Quoting IntlMom12:

energygirl
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

as of right now....yearly  is $120 (but if you sign up for automatic renewal it is $100 and the price is locked in).  For a lifetime membership (no matter how many kids) it is $1000 which is the same as one kid for 10 years....so the lifetime saves a lot, especially if you have mulitiple kids.....for us a lifetime would save us $600 (or saves $920 if we paid every year by the month and didn't do auto renewal)

diane125
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. The lifetime would actually make sense for us. Right now, we're thinking of homeschooling 3 of our kids, but possibly 4 later.

Quoting energygirl:

as of right now....yearly  is $120 (but if you sign up for automatic renewal it is $100 and the price is locked in).  For a lifetime membership (no matter how many kids) it is $1000 which is the same as one kid for 10 years....so the lifetime saves a lot, especially if you have mulitiple kids.....for us a lifetime would save us $600 (or saves $920 if we paid every year by the month and didn't do auto renewal)

FordUnschoolMom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

It does not work that way. It is like insurance. You cannot buy your policy after your house has burned down. HSLDA will likely reject your application if you apply after you find yourself in trouble. They do ask on the app if you are currently under investigation.

Quoting mem82:

I wouldn't join HSLDA until I had an issue, honestly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN