Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you signed the petition?

Posted by   + Show Post
I haven't decided if I am or not just because I haven't read ANY of the information on what exactly is going on in this case. But most likely I will. http://www.hslda.org/legal/cases/romeike.asp

Married the Love of My Life 9/7/02
Jency Paul Douglas 6/30/05
Tesher Robert Walter 12/31/08
Zerah Janae Lyn 3/26/12
Angel babies edd 10/22/08, 11/8/11, 10/20/13

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Replies (31-33):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't signed yet but I plan to.

My reason being, they were granted asylum.  It does not matter if it was a "valid" reason or not.  A judge granted it.  Now 5 years later they are being deported.  Why was it even reviewed?  They were doing what they should be here, dad was working supporting the family, mom was schooling.  They have had another child while living here under asylum.

If they are deported, they will be sent to prison and their children taken from them.  The youngest is a US citizen, and most likely will be separated from the others.

If they were not granted asylum, then I could say "they should apply for greencards and what not" but they were granted asylum, whether we agree with it or not.  This case being reviewed is part of an agenda that I am not liking.  Our government has said it is fine to take the right away as long as it is taken from everyone and not just a particular group. This scares me.  They are setting a precedent.

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Ron Paul addressed this with the following comments:

If the administration is successful, the Romeikes could be sent back to Germany where they will be forced to send their children to schools whose teaching violates their religious beliefs. If they refuse, they face huge fines, jail time, or even the loss of custody of their children!

The Administration’s appeal claims that the federal government has the constitutional authority to ban homeschooling in all fifty states. The truth is, the Constitution gives the federal government no power to control any aspect of education. Furthermore, parents who, like the Romeikes, have a religious motivation for homeschooling should be protected by the free exercise clause of the First Amendment.

Read the full article at:  http://www.the-free-foundation.org/tst4-8-2013.html

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I have not signed it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN