Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

GT kid

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 15 Replies
I've almost decided for sure to homeschool my kids next year, and they will be starting 3rd grade and Kindergarten. My son, who is in 2nd grade now, is in the GT (gifted & talented) program in public school and is way above avarage on his IQ scores. He tested at grade levels above 4th grade on 7 subjects they tested him on. He is always the first one done with classwork and makes straight 100's on everyhing. My question is, do any of you who have above avarage children let them get ahead of their age-appropriate grade level in homeschool? We live in Texas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OFIH
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM
That's one of the wonderful things with homeschooling, teaching where your child is at instead of teaching his age.
OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

absolutely, and with dual enrollment, they can even take college courses (online if they like) for free until they turn 18.  He may not be ready for that yet, but in time......

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Absolutely. It's one of my reasons for homeschooling. My 4 yo is all over between preK and early 2nd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Yes.  My kids work at thier own level.  That is the main reason we homeschool.

gratefulgal
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Oh yeah. With homeschooling the education is tailored to them. Good luck! :)

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Yep i have a 2e kid. Its the best for our situation! Good luck! 

Knightquester
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Yes, I have two out of my four children who are working grade levels ahead of their peers.  As long as they can do the work and know how to do the work from previous grades then I have no issues with them going ahead.  That's one of the beauties of homeschooling is educational freedom to slow down or speed per a child's need.

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM
My daughter is working ahead in most areas and I let her. I wouldn't hold her back just so she doesn't get ahead of kids the same age as her. She is 4 1/2 and according to placements tests I have done for various sites she tests in the low 1st grade level for most everything. I will let her contine moving along at her pace.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Dual enrollment?? free college classes??  What state is that? 

Quoting romacox:

absolutely, and with dual enrollment, they can even take college courses (online if they like) for free until they turn 18.  He may not be ready for that yet, but in time......

maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

My kids are "officially" in the grade that is age appropriate for them. However the school work they do is at whatever their learning level is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN