Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Alot of questions...

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

Okay I am new to the group so HI... My name is Angela and I have three young ones. So my questions are... How many hours a day do you devote to school and is there a manditory amount of time? Are they set hours (by the school or K12)? Does anyone have an IEP or a 504 for their child and how do you deal with that? How do you juggle schooling multiple children? DO you have to mail in school work/ projects? Do they have PE and how do you figure out what to do for it? Okay... If you have not guessed I have not yet signed my children up but I am VERY interested. I feel the school is not iving my DS enough attention (he has ADHD) and he is slipping though the cracks. I would be homeschooling a 2nd grader and the other DS will be in K, my little DS is only 3.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelamiles05
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Posted this in the K12 group as well.... Sorry I should have mentioned that.

tnt-manda
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM
First know the laws in your State so you do things right. I live in Texas so I really don't answer to anyone as far as what I teach. Right now I have a ds in fourth grade, ds in first grade and a three yr old.

We start our mornings at the kitchen table with Bible/breakfast/prayer etc..
I split their subjects according to what they can do independently. Ex: math with my fourth grader while the other one is writing spelling words..I keep special toys, coloring books and such for the youngest that he only plays with during school time.

P.E. is outside play, zoo, hiking, park, wii fit, wii dance, the oldest plays baseball right now so that helps, I dont stress about exercise, I have all boys so they stay active anyway.

We spend from about 9am to noon on school work that includes everything on a good day, they may do some computer learning games in the afternoon.

I will say Im three years into homeschooling and we are constantly making adjustments to our schedule. I love it though, my best advice to you...be flexible, don't sweat the small stuff and if they dont master it one day there is always tommorrow, best of luck to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tnt-manda
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this
If your thinking about K-12, please read reviews and get serious advice about it, not bashing, I have honestly never heard very good about it on here and then I have a fb friend using it and she complains too. I have never used it so I have no real knowledge. Im sure there is good and bad just weigh your options.

Not trying to scare you it maybe perfect for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

As a home school workshop leader, I created a free web page to answer many of your questions.

How To Home School

OFIH
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

A lot of this is a state by state thing. So I couldn't tell you what is required in your state. HSLDA.org has each state's rules and laws, it's a great place to start.

We school only in the morning, for a few hours. Schooling just a few children doesn't take long at all. Our kids are in K and 1st. Now, as they get older, that time will increase as their workload increases and how hard each subject becomes increases.

My state has no mandatory time, just days you must educate.

Before we homeschooled (we only put him in public preschool for a very short time until we figured out we could do it better) we had an IEP for our older son as he has Autism. We just pulled him out of school and that was that. I didn't even have to tell them why we were doing it in my state.

For multiple children, I try to keep the subjects the same so I can transfer from one to the other easily. It's hard to go from math with one to language arts with the other. So everyone does math at the same time. My younger son is always done with his work first, so he has some quiet activities he can do while he waits for brother.

PE, we don't do anything formal. The boys are in soccer so each of them goes to practice once a week (my older son goes for 1 1/2 hours, that's more than many kids get for PE anymore in public schools) and each has a game on Saturdays for 1 hour each. They go outside a LOT when it's nice. There's more activity and exercise than most PE programs.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
OFIH
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I agree. I know a few people who use it and do not like it. Most of them have kids with ADHD, Autism, or such. I have no first hand knowledge either, but I have listened to them enough to know I want to stay away from it. Most are only using it as they are getting free services for their children like they would in a school setting. Otherwise all of them would ditch it quick.

Quoting tnt-manda:

If your thinking about K-12, please read reviews and get serious advice about it, not bashing, I have honestly never heard very good about it on here and then I have a fb friend using it and she complains too. I have never used it so I have no real knowledge. Im sure there is good and bad just weigh your options.

Not trying to scare you it maybe perfect for you.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
RockEducation
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Definitely check your state laws so you will know what is required of you. Then you will know what subjects you must teach, what your state's compulsory age is, if you need to test yearly, if you need to log hours or days, etc. Your state name +Department of Education will give you information. welcome

maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Most of your questions will be answered by your state laws.

K12 is a whole separate issue/rules. I tried it a few years ago with my kids and it did not work for us. It is a program that works well with kids who so well in a school setting: sitting at a desk, completing assignments, doing worksheets. I don't think it is flexible enough to meet the needs of a child with ADHD very well as most kds with ADHD thrive when they can move and learn through hands on activities and exploration.

My kids work at their individual levels for math, reading and writing. We all work on the same social studies and science together (same topics, though my expectations may be different for each child). For example, you can stick with whatever your 2nd grader will be doing in science and social studies, and your K child can follow along and participate at his level.

angelamiles05
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the info ladies!

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a YMCA?  Check with them-they may have homeschool PE and homeschool Swimming lessons.  I know the one in Lancaster, OH does.

Depending on how old the older children are how about give them a task to do on their own while you work with the younger ones one-on-one?  

I think depending on your state laws you may have to do testing or you can send in a portfolio of samples of their work throughout the school year to be graded by a professional teacher or tutor.  Check with your staet laws on exactly what your options are.

Sorry I am no help about homeschooling children with an IEP or 504 as I am TTC #1. 

You may have to get a certain number of days done by the end of the year-again check your state laws on homeschooling.  But you do not need to do every subject every day.  You also aren't spending 8 hours a day on school work.  Homeschoolers usually get everything done in 2-3 hours what takes public schooled kids 8 hours to complete.

I'm sorry I am not much help.  But hopefully others can expand on what I have said.

http://leavesofknowledge.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)