Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why do you homeschool? Personal, political or both.

Poll

Question: Why do you homeschool?

Options:

Personal reasons

Political movement

Combination

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

So, I'm curious the reasons why everyone homeschools. Myself, it started as a purly personal choice, but I'm noticing how much there is a homeschool movement going on. So, why do you homeschool? Person reasons, political reasons or a mixture of the two?

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
Koltie6
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Personal. We value being together as a family. Education is important however so is family . We want to raise our children with our values not someone else's .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I have thought about homeschooling since my DS was in 2nd grade-it had crosses my mind before that but never as a serious thought.  DS is in 5th grade now and I am pretty much determined to homeschool come this fall. 

Things that have encouraged me are that he is not challenged, and then my DD (4th grade-not biologically mine-will get into that in a min) struggles but isn't coded with anything so gets no extra help.  I just imagine her floating through all boy crazy and really getting nothing out of school ever.

DD is my DHs DD, DS is mine, we have none together (yet ;).  When DD started kindergarten DH shared custody with her biomom, then he was awarded primary custody so she went to school here.  After kindergarten her mother enlisted in the military and never looked back :(  she saw her here and there and talked to her a couple times a month.  At this point, it will be exactly a year tomorrow since she has spoken with her mother, and 16 months since she has seen her in person.  When her mother left, she signed over full custody to DH, so he has the only say in everything about her.  So, he can choose to hs at this point and in our state that can include me hsing her. 

So since all of this is kind of coming together, DD will be entering middle school, our middle school kind of sucks, DS is getting a lot of bad influences at school, DD is seriously going boy crazy and is so easily distracted, she is not learning anything.  I am reteaching her when she gets home.

Add to that, I am an education major and work in a public school and am watching the common core get implemented.  I really, in good consience, cannot teach it.  So I have stopped woking on my MEd and at the same time was told they most likely will be moving me to another school in the district-where I don't want to go.  So I feel like God is telling me something.  I think hsing is the right path for us because of all these reasons, and then some.

Sorry for the novel ;)  it was nice to put it all out there though.  Now wish me luck as we figure this whole thing out!

mhaney03
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Threre are so, so many reasons but the final push for my son was a bullying issue the school handled completely inappropriately (or didnt handle, as it were) and for my daughter, it was common core. For my 3 year old, it is his speech delay. If he cant tell me how his day went then he goes nowhere with out me. His therapist is pushing head start and I told her hell no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

For me, the decision was not this "no brainer" (a phrase I despise), but it was agony.  My oldest (10) has been in and out of principals' offices since the end of kindergarten.  He's a great kid, but he presents a problem to the public schools.  I have a problem with how they treat him, they have a problem with his behavior.  He is not an angel, though he is my angel.  So, after enough suspension days this year (each suspension for whatever reason is mandatory 2 days, which really eats through the suspension days you're allowed to have each year), we refused to let him continue in that environment.  I struggle with this because I don't see my kid as a "bad" kid, nor as the threat/danger the school would have me believe.  Zero tolerance policies have negatively impacted my kid, and I refuse to have him labelled as "dangerous" or whatnot.  So he and my youngest (4) are at home and my 3 middle ones remain in the charter school.  Four of my kids integrate well and can deal, my oldest can't, so he remains with me, so I can guide his behaviors and teach to his needs.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Politics never entered the equation for us.  Public school was not the best thing for any of my kids, so we homeschool.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

It started out being all about our faith and feeling led to raise up our children according to Proverbs 22:6.  It has become so much more. The more involved I am in this homeschool community, the more I see the deterioration of our ps system academically, morally, politically and socially. My oldest only homeschooled for a year, then went back in high school, my middle only went to K and my youngest has never seen the inside of school.(my convictions got stronger as I had more kids LOL) My kids will not ever be in ps again, my dh and I have decided that no matter what happens, parental death, homelessness etc, we WILL homeschool.

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Mainly personal reasons. My oldest son was being bullied in private Christian school and the teacher wasn't doing anything about it. As the years go by, our list of reasons gets longer but that was one of the  main reasons we started.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Personal at first, but I have been learning some things politically that has only furthered my decisions.

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Personal.
MessedUpMama
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

It was for personal reasons here as well. DS was put in a special education class because he is different. While he was learning some things his class was focused on behavior more often than not. DS had problems with the zero tolerance rules about weapons. He is a bit obsessive about things once he gets interested in them, and he was obsessive about Star Wars last year. He wasn't allowed to talk about light sabers, blasters, even the x-wing fighters and other ships were considered weapons. He wasn't learning his math facts, but he learned that building something that someone might decide looks like a weapon will get you suspended. He learned that teachers and others in power will not believe you when you tell them that it wasn't a gun but a magic wand, and you weren't shooting people but giving them magic powers, even though the "gun" was a long stack of blocks with a square on one end. It was a gun, because he was interested in guns. Period. No possibility that he might have changed his interests, no chance that he may have been trying to follow the rules and thought of something he could play without an imagined weapon.

He is repeating third grade this year, he's doing very well. Still having trouble with math facts, and doesn't like to read. But he is learning things that kids in third grade should be learning. I think he could have done fourth grade work, but he had too many holes in some of the basics that we decided that it would help boost his confidence if he could get A's and B's in everything rather than C's.

Besides all that, I love having him home with me, I love teaching him. I'm also schooling the little girl I babysit, she's in kindergarten, and he helps her sometimes. I think it's been a great success and I'm very proud of him and of her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)