Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why do you homeschool? Personal, political or both.

Poll

Question: Why do you homeschool?

Options:

Personal reasons

Political movement

Combination

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

So, I'm curious the reasons why everyone homeschools. Myself, it started as a purly personal choice, but I'm noticing how much there is a homeschool movement going on. So, why do you homeschool? Person reasons, political reasons or a mixture of the two?

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Replies (21-28):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I like being with my children.

Schools are not great. Even the great ones.

Bullying, teasing, meanness, belittling... life is hard enough without others working to keep you down.

We like being in control of our own lives. The kids wake after they've had enough sleep - not because the bus is coming. We take vacation when we want to, not when school is out.

So I'd say
55% its best for our kids/family
20% safety from the world
20% keeping govt out of our lives
5% it's easier!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

personal, i enjoy doing it!

katzmeow726
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Primarily personal, but some of my personal reasons can be considered political. The biggest reason is that our local public schools are rough places. And our private schools aren't much better. So this was our other option.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I am curious to know what someone's political reasons would be.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

katinahat
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Combination.

I would consider the "political movement" a growing dissatisfaction with the public school system. I too am dissatisfied with the school system and its poor techniques, so I do not feel comfortable enrolling my daughter in it.

Then there are personal reasons for homeschooling, which include my desire for flexibility with her interests :)

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

Cemommster
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

All of the above.  Personal due to my son's learning abilities and bullying. Now because of CC.

NorthStar09
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Combination.

Personal purely because I want my DD to have the happiest childhood possible and I consider school counter-productive to that end.

Political... maybe. I do have strong feelings against public schooling. I've been through public systems in the US, UK and Canada myself and none of them were any good. Now, I'm not one of those loons that object to their very existence and think all education can or should be privatized, but I do object to the way they operate, fill the kids' heads with their own agenda, brainwash, instil nationalism and false history, prejudices, racism, etc. So I guess you could say those are political issues.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Our reasons for homeschooling are  personal.  We have mixture of reasons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN