Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sunday School?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM
  • 16 Replies
Sunday School?

I'm curious if anyone else will have "school" today. I work so Sunday is a big day for us. Today we will cover Bible, Fractions, Geography, Life science and writing. Then it's movie time!

What about you?
Any Sunday school for your family?

Queen
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

We learn on Saturday and Sunday, but we cannot add it to our portfolio.  Our evaluator frowns on it.

Yesterday we went for a hike in the woods.  We searched for coltsfoot, violet leaves, stellaria, all the early spring plants.  We did duct-tape wrist bands and they stuck their finds on the ducttape so we could bring it home with us.  Then they wrote a bit about what they found and where it was (the hillsides facing South had the new plant growth while the northern facing hillsides still had old snow). 

Today they are out gathering up the wood Daddy sawed up on Friday.  They are stacking it and counting the pieces in each stack and making a chart about it.  Then Zave was dividing it out (we know about how many pieces we use in each firing) to determine how many days' worth of firings we have cut.  They helped plan and cook breakfast this morning (we are covering nutrition).  So there was measuring and all that jazz.  I think they learn nearly as much on the weekends as they do in a "school day" but our evaluator just doesn't see it that way.

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

What state do you live in? Does every family have to have an evaluator? 

Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Only at church lol
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I live in PA.  Yeah, we are one of those strict states.  We make a portfolio for the year which needs to be reviewed by an evaluator then we have a meeting with the school district supervisor.  We can choose other evaluators, but then the school district is more "thorough" during the meeting. 

Quoting QueenCreole313:

What state do you live in? Does every family have to have an evaluator

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Blue..lol...I would just change the dates on work done over the weekend and submit it.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Blue..lol...I would just change the dates on work done over the weekend and submit it.

LOL!  Since we do school just about every day, we can get our 180 days in easily.  It also frees me to do whatever I want on the weekends.  I would LOVE to unschool, but I know the pre-conception that the evaluators here have of unschooling.  So we use a curriculum during the week and learn what we want over the weekend.  No planning, just learning.  :-)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Cool...the way your post sounded, you needed more.

We also have way more than needed to document. I just laugh as I took in their reports.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Cool...the way your post sounded, you needed more.

We also have way more than needed to document. I just laugh as I took in their reports.

Maybe I'm just a nervous nellie but I'm usualy sick to my stomach when I take ours in.  I hate that they have so many silly rules.  I think I'd just prefer to live in Texas!  Haha

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Move to Delaware it's closer
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

No, that is my nap day.LOL the kids are old enough to fend for htemselves and I am off-duty! After church I put on my comfy clothes and crash. Then Sun nights are popcorn-for-dinner kind of nights.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)