Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So now that the weather is getting warmer....

What are some of the fun outdoor field trips do you all have planned for your kids over the next few months?

Pls include maybe grade level and if you have done that "field trip" before and what subjects are covered by the information and experiences on the trip.

Thanks ladies!

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM

wow you guys have a FULL itinerary!! love it

Quoting BramblePatch:

May:
Boise Zoo
Memorial Day Ceremony
Opening Day of Fishing and Fishing Derby at Penny Lake
Rodeo :-)

June:
Camping
Bowe Bergdahl Event
Day Hike to Waterfalls
Trip to Hagerman Fossil Beds

July
Camping x2
Wildflower Hike
Hike to Titus Lake
Trip to Ice Caves

August
Camping
Blaine County Fair
Float Trip
Trail Ride

September:
Wagon Days
Antique Car Show and Auction
YELLOWSTONE!!!!!!!

Plus weekly Farmers Markets, at least three Antique Fairs, and near daily fishing. Also Summer Symphony, trips to the Botanical Garden, and Ice Shows, and soaks in the hot springs.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Is he in Boy Scouts? Those are all signoff requirements.

Quoting myownparadise:

That is awesome! I never really thought about camping trips in that way.

Quoting klatshaw:

We are using our family camping trip as a field trip. SCIENCE- my son will identify trees and plants, PHYS ED- he will walk/hike/bike/swim, LIFE SKILLS- this year he is in charge of making the fire and cooking at least 1 meal, GEOGRAPHY- he will draw a map of the campground. Additionally he will be fishing with his dad. He is 13.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM

My ds1 is in 4th grade and ds2 is in preschool.  We are going to Russell Cave, it is an Indian archeological site in NE Alabama about 30 minutes from our home.  We have been studying about AL history.  There are demos of the attatl, grinding corn,  and a guided tour.  We went when ds1 was in preschool.

We are also going to a zoo and an amusement park.    

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting charla_r:

Since we may be leaving the DC area soon if my husband is selected for a job in CO, we plan to take many field trips in the next few months including a local farm, Smithsonian museums, zoo and aquarium. We will also go on at least one camping trip as well.

We left the DC area for CO almost 5 years ago!  I miss all the wonderful things I did there, but there are wonderful things to do out this way, too!

cjsmom1
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Right now we plan on going to Crystal Cave and nature walks. Since I'm using an online charter school they have roller skating and a baseball game coming up that we're going to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
klatshaw
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM

YES! He belongs to a homeschooling boy scout troop. We incorporate everything in scouts with school. Or everything in school with scouts. It works out well because he is always learning something he is interested in. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Is he in Boy Scouts? Those are all signoff requirements.

Quoting myownparadise:

That is awesome! I never really thought about camping trips in that way.

Quoting klatshaw:

We are using our family camping trip as a field trip. SCIENCE- my son will identify trees and plants, PHYS ED- he will walk/hike/bike/swim, LIFE SKILLS- this year he is in charge of making the fire and cooking at least 1 meal, GEOGRAPHY- he will draw a map of the campground. Additionally he will be fishing with his dad. He is 13.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

oh lovely..history geography social physical...nice job...so jealous...:D

Quoting bether89:

My ds1 is in 4th grade and ds2 is in preschool.  We are going to Russell Cave, it is an Indian archeological site in NE Alabama about 30 minutes from our home.  We have been studying about AL history.  There are demos of the attatl, grinding corn,  and a guided tour.  We went when ds1 was in preschool.

We are also going to a zoo and an amusement park.    

charla_r
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM

That  is so good to hear.  I would love it if you wouldn't mind messaging me with details about homeschooling in CO.  If he accepts the position, we would be relocating to the Colorado Springs area.  I was all set to homeschool in MD but now our plans may change.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting charla_r:

Since we may be leaving the DC area soon if my husband is selected for a job in CO, we plan to take many field trips in the next few months including a local farm, Smithsonian museums, zoo and aquarium. We will also go on at least one camping trip as well.

We left the DC area for CO almost 5 years ago!  I miss all the wonderful things I did there, but there are wonderful things to do out this way, too!

OFIH
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

We go to the zoo often. I have a great zoo book that is spiral bound and has a full page picture of the animal, and on the right hand side has a lot of information about that animal. We also do adventures (what the boys call the nature walks) on our land and take in specimens to the education center at the zoo. They get points based on what it is, what they know about it, and letting them educate them about it a little. We take a lot of pictures of the animals, printed them off, and let them make their own books with facts about each animal.

My stepbrother is a fireman so we went to his firehouse. They learned about that job, got to sit on the truck, got to put on the protective clothing, and so on. Then we read about firemen, studied about their job, and watched videos about it at home. Many firehouses will let you come and do this if you just call in advance and tell them you are a homeschooler.

We do a lot of nature walks. We are blessed with hundreds of acres to do this on, but a local park, hiking trail, or the like works great. They collect leaves, bugs, anything they find of interest and bring them home. We put all kinds of things under our microscopes and look at it and learn about what we are seeing. They have a bug collection in the makings right now. The people at the education center at the zoo taught us how to preserve them.

If something interests the kids, we try to find some place to take them that has to do with it. They love nature, so that's an easy one. We live on a lot of land and near a lot of places we can drive to in order to develop their love of the outdoors.

Police stations are similar to fire stations in that many will let you take a tour if you simply call ahead of time and talk to them about it. Both usually have a little take away (coloring books, friend of the police/fire department stickers, and so on) for kids.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
elizabooks
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM
the local free farm has chickens ready to be hatched. Science: charting growth, Health: how birds are taken care of. WE signed up for road pick with the local coven. Science: how things decompose, Eco-studies: how things are recycled and refused ( includes trips to the recycle centers).
wildflower hikes- two different state parks: gym: this year she will carry the smallest comeback. science & art: plant identification & drawing.
Dd is 4 1/2
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)