Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Withdrawal from public school..?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 17 Replies
Ok, I just need a little advice about withdrawing my kids formally from public school. I am going to homeschool next year, and my kids are in 2nd grade and pre-K now. I will let them finish out this year, which ends on May 31. Should I formally, by letter or whatever, withdraw them on May 31 with intent to hs? Wouldn't it be more of a hassle to wait and do that in August after they have been auto-enrolled by the district? Any advice on withdrawing?

Update: We live in Texas
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Koltie6
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I do not know if its necessary at all. Don't you enroll each year? I would check your homeschool laws in your state.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

What state are you in? That would make a difference. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Welcome to homeschooling!!!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I withdrew my boy in the middle of the year.  But I probably would send the letter of withrawal after the final reportcard.  That way I would be sure that there was no repercussions for our desicion, but that it left little hassle for the following year for the school.

What are the laws in your state?  If I planned to hs for the full year, I would get my information into the school by the date of notification required by my state.  I live in PA, so we need to send in an affidavit by July 1st.  So I would try to aim for that date.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
In CA you must file your affidavit in October for the current year. The schools here automatically green roll you so you should sent a letter of withdrawal.
Kat0038
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Depends on what state you live in. In Georgia you send the state board of education a declaration at the beginning of each school year. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Like the ladies above have said, it depends on your state laws.  To find that out, I would check with your State Home School Association.  They usually post the laws on on their site, and will often connect you with other home educators  near you for more advice. 

doublejay38
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I live in Texas, and as I understand it, if the kid has ever been enrolled in public school they have to be withdrawn or I could face truancy charges. We don't enroll them each year. They stayed enrolled in the same school automatically each year unless they transfer to a new school.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I'm in TX, and I never filed a letter or anything. I just told the office my dd wouldn't be back and they said OK, good luck! Somehow she got auto enrolled any way, and that August we got a postcard from her assigned teacher welcoming her to the class. I just called the school again and reminded them that she wasn't enrolled. That finally fixed and we haven't had any problem since. My youngest has never been enrolled so I had no issue with him.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I went to my superintendants office and picked up the form that we have to fill out every year to announce that we will be homeschooling. Now they just mail it to me. That is all I have to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)