Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

switching curriculum because of common core

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 22 Replies

Debating if I should.  I found out that some of the curriculum I planned on using have switched to match up to the common core standards.  Now I'm not sure if I want to switch to something else!  Would you?

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it matches up to what your child needs to learn. If it holds them back, then switch.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I did a little (as in, about an hour) into CC, and honestly still don't see what all the fuss is about. If your child enjoys the curr you use, is learning, and it's not morally offensive, I say stick with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Here is where my issue with curricula conforming is:

We were using Math Mammoth grade 6 - pre common core conform. With the common core conformation, she is pushing concepts BACK; so much of what is in the upcoming grade 7 curricula (not yet released) will consist of previously covered grade 6 material. Catch where I'm going with this? I'm not going to stick with curricula that teaches my child nothing new, because they decided to conform to CCS and pushed concepts back (no matter the subject).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM
so things they would normally learn 6th grade will now be taught in 7th?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We were using Math Mammoth grade 6 - pre common core conform. With the common core conformation, she is pushing concepts BACK; so much of what is in the upcoming grade 7 curricula (not yet released) will consist of previously covered grade 6 material. Catch where I'm going with this? I'm not going to stick with curricula that teaches my child nothing new, because they decided to conform to CCS and pushed concepts back (no matter the subject).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

this!

Quoting mem82:

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it matches up to what your child needs to learn. If it holds them back, then switch.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't.  I mean, I didn't worry about matching the public schools up until now.  Why should I start?  We do what we do and it works.  When ds eventually takes the SATs or any other test that comes up, I know he'll do fine.  I read a lot about Common Core and I don't see it much different from what we do anyway.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Depends on the curriculum. Math Mammoth was "advanced" and quite rigorous pre common core - which is why we chose it for our mathy daughter. Common Core "rearranged" concepts; so yes, they will still be hit, but the curricula conforming will be realigning their curricula and yes, that may mean (and does in the case of MM) that certain concepts that were taught IN THAT CURRICULA'S grade x will now not be taught until the next.

Quoting rsrangel:

so things they would normally learn 6th grade will now be taught in 7th?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lucsch
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not too concerned about it. Some are saying they comply, but they aren't really changing anything.

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I would. Im avoiding anything related to the government run BS that is the public school system.

lifesadream83
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not switch a curriculum due to common core standards that is just me.  If your child is learning then you are fine.  Common Core Standards were implemented because public school systems are all on different pages across the board. They were created for consistancy and to ensure all students would have the opportunity to be exposed to the same information before college.  There are many states that did not adopt the common core standards because they are lower than the current state requirements.  

Many of the great curricula out there are not aligned for reasons as simple as for a whole year they focus on chemistry in stead of a piece of each science topic every year.  Or world history all at once versus a bit of one civilzation and american every year.  

If what your using works for you and yours stick with it.  Dive in deeper when you have a stronger interest and just go with the flow.  Your kids will come out on top.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN