Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

switching curriculum because of common core

Posted by   + Show Post

Debating if I should.  I found out that some of the curriculum I planned on using have switched to match up to the common core standards.  Now I'm not sure if I want to switch to something else!  Would you?

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
IntlMom12
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I am. I don't want to have anything to do with the common core. Government-run education? If I was OK with that I would have put my boys in public school.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I was concerned that Math U See's new edition is now following the CCSS.  But I read more about their philosophy and why they chose to align more.  Their argument is that they added things that they think are important but did not change the pace or order of what they are doing.  For example they have added more word problems that ask for the student to solve for an unknown, which was something I would have probably added as well.  So I am going to give them a try eventhough they are aligning more with the CCSS

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM

You could always just buy the more advanced math, correct? If they are changing grade 7 material to grade 6, then buy grade 8 for grade 7. Right? Seems logical to me.

If a curr author is good and you like them, I think it's very closed-minded to abandon it because they are adapting to CC standards (if that is your only reason). It makes sense for a business to make their product (in this case, curriculum) appeal to as many customers as possible. For those families who are homeschooling for only a year, it makes sense for them to want to keep their children on par with their peers, so it will be an easier transition out of and back into public school. 

I see a tendency among Americans lately to hate and scorn anything that comes from the government, no matter whether it's helpful, benign, or even irrelevant. 

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I want my children to know all things not just what the government wants therm to know & what a curriculum maker deems important to know so we don't use any baught curriculum.

Cemommster
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

No, not just homeschooling curriculum but just about all currriculum is changing to cc  It will be dumbing down kids.And if homeschoolers do not get involved, it will effect us.  There are already things that the govt are trying to do to come after us.  And it will effect college enterances. In the long run, if we do nothing, common core will come after all of us.

rrbelgarde
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

What exactly is common core? I have read alot about it on here but now sure what exactly this is? This is also only my second year of homeschooling. 

QueenCreole313
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Quoting rrbelgarde:

What exactly is common core? I have read alot about it on here but now sure what exactly this is? This is also only my second year of homeschooling. 

Common Core is an organized push to uniform what is taught for core subjects: Math and English across state lines. It was created by Governors and endorsed by President Obama. It is optional for states to adopt. The benefit is that children in one state are learning the same basic skills as those in another state. Curriculums are aligning themselves (also voluntarily). 

Here's the website: http://www.corestandards.org/

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I am pulling my kids from ps for many reasons, one huge one being the common core.  So I would not want a curriculum that alligns with it.  That is a big reason why I won't be working in ps anymore too :(

That being said, if your state is going to require hsers to take the same tests that the psers take that are based on the cc, then you'll want to make sure your teaching those standards I suppose.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I'm not going to intentionally avoid a curriculum I would otherwise choose just because it does align with ccs. But I will be steering clear of anything designed specifically with cc in mind or that dumbs down their pre-existing material to just barely meet ccs. Or if that curriculum still seems to be the best fit for us, then I will adapt it, mix it up, use a level ahead, or whatever I feel is necessary to meet *our* standards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
We made a couple of changes over CC. I stayed with VP and CLP, even though they are technically aligned.....All their OWN curriculum is not aligned but they sell curriculum that is. I will just stay away from the CC aligned that they sell.

I truly believe CC is detrimental to education and also contributes to the ongoing socialization of this Country. I will not support it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)