Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

switching curriculum because of common core

Posted by   + Show Post

Debating if I should.  I found out that some of the curriculum I planned on using have switched to match up to the common core standards.  Now I'm not sure if I want to switch to something else!  Would you?

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (21-22):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Not when there isn't a grade 8 (common because many people do algebra 1 in grade 8). So many have to veer to another curriculum and curriculum hopping within math isn't a great idea right before algebra, if at all possible to avoid.

And I do not feel it's close minded at all to become annoyed when a program you've been working with for years suddenly changes course in a way you do not agree with; at that point it makes sense, to me, to switch. No big - there are tons of unaligned curricula out there :)

Quoting hipmomto3:

You could always just buy the more advanced math, correct? If they are changing grade 7 material to grade 6, then buy grade 8 for grade 7. Right? Seems logical to me.

If a curr author is good and you like them, I think it's very closed-minded to abandon it because they are adapting to CC standards (if that is your only reason). It makes sense for a business to make their product (in this case, curriculum) appeal to as many customers as possible. For those families who are homeschooling for only a year, it makes sense for them to want to keep their children on par with their peers, so it will be an easier transition out of and back into public school. 

I see a tendency among Americans lately to hate and scorn anything that comes from the government, no matter whether it's helpful, benign, or even irrelevant. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

JayDee38
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Just because the curriculum you’re using now might not match up with the PS curriculum (as far as subject matter, lesson, units, whatever) doesn’t mean that the CC curriculum used in PS won’t help those kids. The whole point of the CCSS is to get schools across the country to be as uniform as possible so that the student’s education is of better and more consistent quality so that as they move up in their schooling they can keep up with whatever pace that higher education is moving at. Public school systems across the country are stepping up their game and trying to enhance children education.
I believe that as homeschoolers we have the ultimate ability to teach our children exactly what they need to know and everything we want them to know (especially what THEY want to know!). This is such a gift. It’s unfair to bash the CC. It doesn't pertain to our children unless we choose for it to.
All of that being said… I’m very lucky to feel so confident in sticking with the curriculum that I’ve used for years. It was great back then and great even now that it’s aligned to the common core. I add in other stuff that suits our needs of course, but I’ve consistently stuck with Zaner-Bloser. I recommend looking into it. Their ‘Strategies for Writers,’ program meets the common core standards for writing and I’ve found it to be excellent. Many of their other programs have been aligned to the CCSS and that wouldn’t stop me from using them as well.
https://www.zaner-bloser.com/writing/strategies-writers
http://www.zaner-bloser.com/common-core-state-standards
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)