Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thinking about homeschooling need help

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 10 Replies
We live in Massachusetts and both my sons are in public school now I hate it. My 7 yr old has ADHD and learning delay he's getting better the teacher says he's getting it but he will stay back which is fine but I feel like this gradual pace is too slow and if next yr I should try my own homeschooling for both. He does have a iep what do you think ? And what kinda curriculum is best also. Plus we have mcas testing for certain grades what happens with that. I'm trying to convince my husband . To homeschool its tough
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Hey Pink! Welcome aboard! I, too, have a child with ADHD. We started homeschooling this year. BEST DECISION EVER! He was doing ok academically, but not socially (bullying, etc.). Homeschooling has allowed us to customize his education in a way that will whole his attention. I am able to provide short breaks when needed. My ex wasn't too supportive until we had a major blow up at the school. You can wait for this or save yourself and your child the headache if you know they are not thriving. Good luck! 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Since your sons are already in school and one specifically is under an IEP, you will have to do this the legal way.   I'm looking at the laws regarding homeschooling in your state, and it's unclear.

The reason it's unclear, is that Mass. is one of the states that the law leaves it in the hands of each individual school district and superintendent of said district.

Here is the website I found that discusses homeschooling in Mass.

http://mhla.org/information/massdocuments/mgl.htm

After skimming over it, I would definately join the HSLDA (home school legal defense association) if I were homeschooling in your state.   I would feel like I had no real protection on my own because if the super intendent were to change, then the decisions of the previous guy (or gal) may differ.   HSLDA is not THAT expensive to join and well worth the protection.

But, don't let that scare you, I'm sure there are other HSers in Mass. and they may be able to help you.   Have you considered googling your school district name with the word homeschool and see what comes up?   Maybe you will even find a group near you that you can visit and get some questions answered.

I'm sure you can do this, and if the school is helpful and willing to work with you on this matter, you might find them to be a valuable resource.

Good luck!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:54 AM
KrissyKC has given you the best advice. I just want to encourage you that homeschooling is so worth it, especially for kids that struggle in public school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Like KrissyKC , your State Home School Association says that legal representation is needed to home school in Massachusetts,  It lists some options which does  include HSLDA.  Following is e their link, and a link to support groups (other home educators in your area) in your State.

.Getting Started in Massachusetts  (It also states that each district has their own laws, and gives a link for more information)

Support Groups

How To Home School

tnt-manda
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Welcome aboard, you already have some really great advice here, I know you will love homeschooling. Im three yrs in and have'nt regretted it yet. dh was a little skeptical, we were already starting to have some differences with the ps as well. I did a trial like homeschool/summer school, not knowing what we were going to do, I figured a little summer school could'nt hurt, It built my confidence and gave dh a visual of what it might be like, he is my number one supporter/advocate now. You will have people who will question you, but over time they usally come around too.

Best of luck, feel free to come back and ask any questions, this is one of the most helpful groups I know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pinkphotography
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Thank you ladies :) my dh doesn't want me doing it but I feel like I have no choice especially the middle schools here I dont like. My kids school has over 800 kids ! And we have many elementary schools here it's the same .
lifesadream83
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM

That is a great idea!  I am sure my dd8 would be labeled if she were in school (long story).  This is the second year I have had her home and she is excelling like crazy.  Homeschooling is the best thing we could have done.  Don't get me wrong there are days I wanna pull my hair out but overall it has turned out amazing and we will never go back.  Where we are now dd has to take a standardized test each year.  We chose the CAT test.  Last year she took the second grade test and placed in the 97th percentile for math when we started the year we started with first grade math because she tested a year behind.  Can I recommend a program like Math U See or Math in Focus if you do decide to homeschool.  (I use MIF.) 

Good Luck convincing hubby.  I was able to do it so you should have no problem (mine strongly opposed homeschooling but gave in on a 1 year trial basis and now he won't let her go back!) I suggest finding some success stories online, some articles about studies conducted on homeschool kids in favor of homeschooling and show him some blogs of things kids do when homeschooled.  

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of home educating!  I have been at it 20 yrs so far and still love it!  My youngest is now 15 so I only have a few more years to go.   As far as Massachusetts laws.  If I lived in a state that was difficult our family would just pack and move.  That is just us.  We will give up anything else but that!  Have you found someone local that can help you with it?  Good luck

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Find out what concerns your DH has.   It might take some open ended questions and some good conversation starting kind of questions to get him talking (that's men)... LOL!   Also, when you have this initial conversation, don't feel you have to jump on everything he says and defend it.   Listen deeply and take his thoughts seriously.

Later, you can come back and mention them and that you researched such and such and found such and such out...

It might take a bit, but he might get on board.   Also, finding some local homeschool resources might help your DH.   For example, if he's concerned about sports involvement (having two boys, some people are)... then find the resources in your area about home school sports.   

When we first got married, I mentioned homeschooling once when we were having our, "how we see our future." discussions and he freaked!

After being in public school and maturing a bit... he is probably pushing for them to go "all the way" with homeschooling more than I am.   I have my breakdown days where I say, "Are you SURE we've made the right choice?" and he won't even let me start thinking like that.

Pinkphotography
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Hey ladies please friend me ! Lol my dh told me we can move to a town near us by this sept if iget a part time Job at night couple nights a week which is fine. But finding a place hopefully won't be a problem . If not I will be homeschooling and he won't have much to say . Do you buy your curriculums? Or are they given by the school system ?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)